Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin question...non GT 16  (Read 1000 times)
640x480

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:09:07 PM »

No one talks about the non gt D-16 anymore.

I think it has changed from the older 16's....does anyone know the differences?

I also saw a sunburst one, but on the Martin site it is not listed....is it not in production anymore?
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:16:48 PM »

Early 90's the D-16 was pretty much a stripped back D-18 - biggest difference being a dovetail neck joint as opposed to their current mortise & tenon deal.

I think some go by the designation D-16H.

VERY good value, if you can find one.

A guy that knows them pretty well posts on the AG forum, JJ Hildreth.

Some of the UMGFers will know - and probably show that my recollection is not 100%.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »

The earlier ones have wood fingerboards - the newer ones use micarta, and it gets pretty good reviews.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:58 PM »

I had a 1993 D16. It was a D18 with a HD 28 scalloped top. Sweet guitar. Wish I would not have sold it. There are a of guitars on that list for all of us. I had that guitar before I was in the Biz. It has some nice diamonds and squares for the fret board inlays.
The current D 16 is built along the current 16 level guitar with the Mortise and tenon neck joint. It does still have an ebony fretboard.
I see the 90's ones going in the $900 range.  I sold mine for $990 about 5 years ago.

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
640x480

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 09:41:30 PM »

Would you say that due to the new construction methods of the new 16s, that the sound would not be as "good"...is the extra $ between that and the GT only by appointments and not sound quality?
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 10:27:43 PM »

Question not clear - could mean either one - but I hesitate to say, in general, I like what I hear from a dovetail joined guitar better than one that is not dovetailed...hesitate because many jump to their defense. And they are as right as anyone - your own ears must guide you.

Current Martin 16's - micarta or not - sound good to me. A Martin 16 with a dovetail will necessarily be aged - and that could give it an edge in sound.

I like dovetail neck joints. I think the old dovetail 16's are a great value, and may end up with collector appeal. I'd say they are on a par with Larri 03's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: