Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trinity Guitar being built you can watch the process  (Read 930 times)
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »

I thought you might like to see the process of building at Trinity Guitars. The link is to photos of the Trinity Guitar # 70 a classical guitar that incorporates the new patented bent top. It will also include the Player Response System. Just today the fret board was completed and in now under clamp for the next day. Fretting and finishing will start next week.
Take look comments welcome.
http://www.trinityguitars.com/tg70.htm

[attachment no longer available]

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »

Very nice, Jim!  Can you explain the reasoning/advantages of the bent top?  Is it fair to say that a steel-string guitar would also benefit from it?

How long does it usually take you to complete a guitar?

Play it daily for best results.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »

This is so cool!

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »

The Bent Top Guitar was first sketched on a return flight from Europe in 1996. The idea was to bend the lower top section below the fret board to allow better access to the upper register of the guitar, with out having to change position of the left arm and hand. To provide the access of a cut a way in a non cut a way full body guitar. . It has the playability of a cut away without the compromise of loss on internal air volume and the non traditional look of a cut a way. Further attempts to draw the complicated geometry were met with time consuming unfinished works. In 2002 Holler decided to build the first prototype and to work out the construction issues while building the guitar. The result was a very unique and highly playable instrument. The Bent Top Guitar is Patented. http://www.trinityguitars.com/benttop.htm
Yes a steel string will benefit from the bent top in the same ways. I am in fact today starting a 000, 24.5 scale, 12 fret, bent top. This guitar will be to my modified design with a deeper body and will utilize many of the tone improving concepts developed for my classical guitar. Once I get it going I will put up a page for it much like the #70 page.
I do not keep track of the hours. About 3 months start to finish.

[attachment no longer available]

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »

incredibly interesting!!!

Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »

This is great--keep the photos and updates coming. I think you have a captive audience.
bleumax

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 12:42:23 AM »

jim, that is very cool. can't wait to hear out it turns out on the steel string.

Paragon
Gibson
Webber
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »

Jim, wouldn't a bent top put a lot of stress onto the top also? My concern, without any real merit behind it, would be that it would not resonate as well due to the increased stress. Looks cool though.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »

Jim, wouldn't a bent top put a lot of stress onto the top also? My concern, without any real merit behind it, would be that it would not resonate as well due to the increased stress. Looks cool though.

Andy
Andy. Good question.
   The top is bent with heat and a very small amount of water mist. It is thus put into the final resting position before the sides,neck and back are assembled to the guitar. When completed there is no additional stress in the top than normal. What is added is a good deal of stiffness to that section of the guitar. On the classical guitars this has actually enhanced the mid range of the guitar top. You play and open G and you can feel the bent top vibration. This is normally a some what dead area of the top. I am expecting the same results on the steel string. Some new photos have been added to the page. On to finishing.

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: