MT ageing / Tortis pickguard removal

Started by mrrinse, January 11, 2006, 07:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
I'm leaning towards an L(V)-03 / 05, probably MT, to complement my LV-09. (Invitations for sale welcome: daniel_burneNOSPAM@yahoo.com... without the nospam). I was wondering if UV ages (i.e. darkens) mahogany like spruce, and if so, does it do it so quickly (I may want to remove a pickguard, if there is one and replace it with a clear one). 
I've also heard mahogany topped guitars take longer to open up... not sure how to accelerate the process, although I have a vague recollection that someone (on the forum, I think) was using some type of electric massage device to accelerate things....
I would also image MTs are a little more resistant to dings / scratches than spruce, since it's more dense (?).
Thanks for any comments,
Dan
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

I have also heard a few times that mahogany topped guitars take awhile to mature.  Also have heard that they do darken some.  My MT is too new to notice.  I can tell you this Larrivee does make the best Mahogany topped guitars you can get, hands down.  They use very nice wood and by not staining it the grain just gets this incredibly deep 3D look to it!

The sound is very cool.

Quote from: mrrinse on January 11, 2006, 07:29:50 PM
I've also heard mahogany topped guitars take longer to open up... not sure how to accelerate the process, although I have a vague recollection that someone (on the forum, I think) was using some type of electric massage device to accelerate things....
Play it!   Lots!  I don't put much stock in putting guitars in front of stereos and other methods for "breaking in" or "opening up" a new guitar.  Altough some do and they may be right.  But I look at it as my job and I accept it gladly.  :GRN> Tell you what, MrRinse, send your new guitar to me and I'll make sure it gets broken in for a mere $100/wk.  Special price good this month only!   Get it back to you all opened up in 6 months or so.... :WNK>

My OM-05MT got played daily and opend up noticably in 4 months.  And I enjoyed the process immensely. By the way, there are some who say the 'opening up' happens when the finish finishes hardening and sinks into the pores, and that playing has nothing to do with.  Who knows for sure....?

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

The general consences seems to be the resin within the wood xylem loosening up over time.

I however believe it's the relief of the top's stress after the xylem (wood) has had time to settle in the forced shape (with long term change in weather causing the lignin (the stuff that hold the wood together) to change.  Just trying stressing your guitar by going to a very humid location, it will sound different.

Furthermore, the more you play, I believe you also become accustomed to the guitar itself, and able to get "better" sounds out of it.  But I still believe the top still OPEN UP.

One thing is certain, the OPENESS of a played in guitar has a more desirable sound.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Quote from: dberch on January 11, 2006, 09:27:06 PM
Play it!   Lots!  I don't put much stock in putting guitars in front of stereos and other methods for "breaking in" or "opening up" a new guitar.  Altough some do and they may be right.  But I look at it as my job and I accept it gladly.  :GRN> Tell you what, MrRinse, send your new guitar to me and I'll make sure it gets broken in for a mere $100/wk.  Special price good this month only!   Get it back to you all opened up in 6 months or so.... :WNK>

David,

Too funny! Nice idea for a side line though.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Thanks for the comments guys.
I've got an L-05 MT on the way (week or two...).
It started production in October 04, and the previous owner says mostly been kept in its case when unplayed. I'd like to replace the toris guard with a clear one (or no guard), but am worried about tan lines and also damaging the finish when removing it.

Tan:
My LV-09 has certainly darkened (and gone stipey) over the year I've owned it from new (strated production in Feb 04 though), even though mostly kept in its case when unplayed. I'm guessing hog darkens less than sitka, but probably still darkens some.... ? Can anyone comment? Would uneven tanning even out over time?

Removal:
Most of the instructions on removal seem to relate to clear guards (and hairdryers / naptha) rather than tortis. Are there different requirements for tortis (i would imagine it's less flexible and thicker)?
If I remove it and it has tanned, can I reattach the old pickguard (and if so how?), or do I need to order a new one?

Any other tips?

Any I crazy? Should I just stick with the guard?

Thanks,
Dan
Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.

If it has been in the case you are likely fine.  Mahogany will develop tan lines but not as quickly or to the degree that spruce will.  If there are tan lines you could always replace it with a new one. 

However... I would not be surprised if you change your mind once it arrives.  When I got my p-03mt I had inteneded to take off the pick gaurd.  Never liked the way the looked in photos.  Once I actually had it in my hand I was very impressed.  Right away I decided I was going to keep it on.  The tortoise really sets off the mahogany.  In fact I liked it so much that I got some bone pins with tortoise dots to complete the picture.

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

sorry
double post
:UND>
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

+1 for Josh's suggestion that you live with it for a while before you do any major mods.

It's almost always easier to do than undo...
Ron

Thanks. I may be being pre-emptive (I haven't got the guitar yet), but I'm not genearlly a fan of pickguards.
I guess I figured it would be best to take off asap (to prevent further tan lines) as I could always get a new one to put back on.
Tan lines and finish damage are a big concern though....
Anyone actually removed tortis type pickguards - all the comments I've found through searching the forum seem to relate to the clear ones which I image would be easier to remove.
Thanks,
Dan

All of this business about resins and finish and vibrators is ridiculous. Everyone knows that guitars open up over time, as they forget about being a tree and get used to the idea of being guitars.

^_^

Tim

Quote from: tim farney on January 31, 2006, 09:38:24 PM
All of this business about resins and finish and vibrators is ridiculous. Everyone knows that guitars open up over time, as they forget about being a tree and get used to the idea of being guitars.

^_^

Tim

amen   :WNK>
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

...and pass the picks!!!

:rolleyes:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992