Bridge Pin

Started by 12barBill, January 09, 2006, 09:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long story short :

I can not get the bridge pin on the sixth string to go more than half way down due to the diameter of the ball end of the string. The string is seated properly but the pin is sticking up (way up - half way up). It's very tight and I'm afraid to force it for fear of splitting the bridge. It's a Thomastic Infeld Spectrum Bronze (.54") and they have a silk wrapping on the ball end that increases the diameter.

What can I do?

PS - Love these strings!!     

I don't see how the ball end can be seated properly.   A bridge pin sticking up that far is a very bad idea.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Does the pin have a string slot?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Peter, the ball end is seated. It's just that the pin must sit that high because the hole in the bridge is not large enough for the string (with it's silk wrapping)  and the larger part of the pin (the top part of the pin - the lower part of the pin is skinnier).

Rob, yes the pins have slots. They are slotted TUSQ pins.

Bill bring it to a local tech and have him ream out the pin hole a bit or have the bridge pin holes key cut.This will solve the problem caused by the silk,or you can remove the silk from that string.I know the hole is big enough because I'm using a 58 foe a low E with no problem.The silk must be adding at least 8 to 10 points to the string end.Myself I'd go with removing the silk.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks Rob. I'll try to remove the silk. I may have to cut it off somehow. It won't just peel off.

:GRN> BELTSANDER.....

OK a razor will do just do it on a table so you don't slice yourself. :POL>
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Razor... good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's why you are the tech.

I usually change strings sitting on the edge of my bed with the guitar on my lap. I was thinking of doing that...........but I'll keep the razor away from my...uh...lap. 

Put a towel down on a table,less chance of a  :SHK>"OOOOP'S,is that my blood?!??!!!!". :GRN>
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Don't want no Lorena Bobbitt "accident".................. :rolleyes:

Yu betcha there little buddy.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Sounds like the string ball is binding inside the hole with your pin?  Bend the string at the ball a little angle and insert the string so the ball is positioned under the bridge then drop your pin in with slot positioned correctly.  That should do.  Don't use a beltsander thats for trimming sides of fingers only!!! LOL...unclrob.

Larrivee L-03BW (1 11/16" Neck Width) Just love this baby
Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T
Ernie Ball Music Man Signature Van Halen

Had similar problem recently.

New (used) guitar to me.  When I went to put new strings on, I couldnt get the bass E or A pins to come out.  The pins would come up about 1/3 of the way and then....STUCK!  Removed  other strings. reached into the sound hole and the ball end was not the  problem.   the string where it is wound back on itself was too large to fit  completely in the  pin slot.  so when I pulled the pins, the excess string diameter wedged the pin/string in the hole....   :huh:  a little adrenalin....waited .....pushed and pulled (fingers only).....pushed the pin all the way in again and pulled the ball end from inside the hole  to get the normal string size all the way inside and then.........success....   Used a small blade to slightly scrape the pin slots larger, and marked the bottem of them so they will always go back into the same bridge hole.       Wheew...    :rolleyes:

just my little adventure.    Belt sander was next option.      :GRN>

phill     
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person