Larrivee Guitar Woods..i Cant Pick One!

Started by TonyTheTiger, April 08, 2004, 12:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know this is the kind of question that only i can answer...but maybe you guys can help me decide.
im very soon planning on buying one of the 03 series larrivee guitars.
I live in our local guitar shop has two that really catch my eye:

-the first is a d-03r that has sounds just beautiful with deep, complex lows and is very responsive. In terms of wood..the rosewood looks great but the top is kind of dard looking...almost look like cedar....when compared to the brilliantly blonde tops of the other larrivees
-the second is a dv-03 that has some of the most beautiful wood that i have ever seen. The mahogony is dark with some nice blackish streaks in it and the top has a great bearclaw pattern to it (has anyone seen this in a dv-03 model?). In terms of tone it has a nice shimmer to it that i really like in one regard but find myself missing that great low end thump of the rosewood model.

so what do you guys think....you have that beautiful dv cut away that im visually in love with (and i do also like the tone)...but the rosewood model has that base thump that i would love to have in a guitar...but in the looks department is just so so. will the mahogany age to have a deeper "thumpier" tone?  

help! thanks=)

Welcome to the forum TTT!

You'll find a lot of very good people and help here.  

Sounds like you've found a couple of winners in your neck of the woods.  It's always hard to choose just one but between the two, I'd go with the tone.  It would be nice to get both looks and tone in one guitar.  You may want to take some time to look around before parting with your hard earned cash.  JMO

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted! ;)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

hi thanks for being so welcoming...you larrivee fans are great!

check out the dv-03R on this page...this is how the dv-03 looks but with mahogany back and sides...its amazing!
was there a special batch of wood that larrivee got at some point?

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instruments/larrivee.html

Tony......my motto has always been.....one of each!

Larrivee rosewood dreads defy the notion on this type of guitar that the mids get overwashed by the "Thump " as they are very balanced and articulate well across the spectrum. However, the Mahogony will articulate much clearer across the spectrum than the Rosewood for fingerpicking or playing in open tunings. So I guess it depends on your style of playing. Strings, technique and age will add "Thump" to a Mahogony and you will have more versitility for other styles, but you won't be able to take the "Thump" out of a RW Dread...personally , I'd look high and low for a D03 BW and snatch it up if I could.

Regards, Owen
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster