Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice, simple way to arrange a Hymn  (Read 474 times)
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2006, 02:56:21 PM »

Recently at my job, a vendor was selling his CD's. It was a young guy who played acoustic guitar, and he had his Christmas collection for sale. I took the chance and bought two of the CDs, and while his solo fingerpicking arrangements were nice, it was his fuller multitracked arrangements I liked the best. Basically they all seemed to follow a very simple formula, which can probably be used very easily to come up with a nice Hymn arrangement for multiple guitars at Church.

What he did was start with two guitars, one playing a single clean lead line of the melody, with very few multi-note parts, and a second guitar in open G tuning, strumming a very nice rhythm pattern to match the lead line. After the second verse, he added in a second or third guitar playing simple arpeggiated fills to the verse line. The total effect really sounded nice, and probably wouldn't take more than an hour or two of jamming to have a Church ready Hymn. I think I am going to try this for one or two Hymns for Lent.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: