Larrivee Necks

Started by didymus21, January 02, 2006, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do any of you think they are TOO thick?  I played a friends Taylor and Breddlove...they seemed so much thinner and quicker to play with.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

it depends (as always!)  If one starts out playing electric and then adds or migrates to acoustic, the thinnest acoustic necks (ie Taylor/old Guild etc) feel more comfortable and allow a better transfer of technique.  On the other hand, those who start out on acoustic or classical have muscle memory built up for a beefier/wider neck.  My fingers trip all over each other on the narrower necks, and I can't shred anyway so the wider necks have been my preference.  to each his own.
- jim

'76 LS-11, L-03BW, OM-03E, D-05-12, OM-09, LB-2

The wider neck on the Larrivee' definately improved my playing over the Taylor type neck.
It's my secret weapon now :GRN>

if you are talking about the profile or depth of the Larrivee necks, there are two definite different neck profiles.....seems to me from all the different ones I owned, the change in profile happened around 2001 or so.....BT or ML may be able to chime in on this.    The reason I have picked this up is my capo's fit differently.....occaisionally I can tell right off, but the capo test doesn't lie.   My custom OM's are the shallower profile (which is odd because the cedar top is quite a bit older than 2001)  and the LS10SE is slightly beefier (it's a Sept 2000 edition)  Although I have never owned one....it wouldn't suprise me if the Traditional series has it's own shape altogether......
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

i like em' thick. the electric i play is a Dearmond (335 knock-off) and it's a chunky neck.  makes going between the two easy.
i'm a pretty tall and lanky guy and my ol' snakey fingers like something to grab onto. :GRN>

Doesn't the trade off between a neck thickness have more to do with two factors, sustain and neck regidity being enhanced with a thicker neck? I seem to remember that in the early 90's Taylor was having a world of difficulty in keeping their necks straight and a lot were having to be repaired for warping. The old Martins have a really thick V-neck, but I sort of think the Larrivee neck is a fair compromise geared toward playability.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Larrivees too thick or Taylor too thin?  For me its the latter, and for most it depends on the feel.

E. Shoaf

My 2003 Larri D neck is perfection for me - no thought about compensating, over or under reaching. This includes fingerstyle playing.

I'm new here, but it seems to me that the Larri necks are more akin to the Martin low profile necks. . . .maybe just a tad thicker (fretboard to neck apex).  'Least ways that's kinda how the neck on my OM-O3R twelve string feels.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

I have an older Larri...so I guess the neck is a little thicker than the current models?
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: didymus21 on January 04, 2006, 01:29:31 AM
I have an older Larri...so I guess the neck is a little thicker than the current models?

very possible......
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Both these Larrivee necks look about right, not too thick or thin. 

I'm happy to report that both these Larrivees have liberal amounts of wood :SHK> :GRN>

D-02E

The neck on my OM10VE feels just lovely, but I have medium sized hands, and play with a light touch.  I am trying to get accustomed to the 1 7/8" on the SD50, and I would have thought the transition would be drastic, yet not so.  Yes, you need to adjust, but there's a lot of room for moving around.