Would like to know the repercussions before I take the plunge.

Started by d03nut, January 02, 2006, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, everyone.  Long long time lurker, on the fingers-of-one-hand poster here.  First things first: replace the nut with an R in my sig. (bet you hear that all the time) and you know what I play.

Before resorting to the search function, I thought, it being the new year and all, maybe esteemed members would like to have a go at this topic one more time:

I've been thinking of switching to mediums -from my current EJ16's- however, my guitar tech at the store is recommending against it, saying stuff like "oh, they don't tell you this but larrivees can't really handle mediums, they're not mean't to be played with lights.

Is this guy completely removed from reality or is there some merit to his argument?  If so, what are the potential risks involved in such a move?

I am very satisfied with the D'addy lights besides that very first week or 10 days when they make my guitar sound too tinny and "unbecoming" of the brand name.  Once past that threshold, they're my favorites.  Although I've yet to try them Newtones. 

I'm thinking switching to the mediums may help "dullify" the new set of strings sound a little from the get go.  Am I correct in this assumption?

A pre-emptive thanks, and happy new year.

rats. I thought this was a topic about donuts, sorry D03nut..    :GRN>

I recently received a new Larrivee dreadnaut and it came from the factory with mediums on it.

If you go to the Larrivee web site > customer service > frequently asked questions.  you will find a table of what strings come setup on each model guitar. The text above the table includes the statement All Larrivee Guitars, with the exception of 12 strings, will handle medium gauge strings

http://www.larrivee.com/data/customerservice/faq.htm
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

No worries.  Been playing mediums on my OM3W for a long time and everything is fine.  But, if you like the action with lights and just want a different tone, try some different strings - Elixir polywebs do it for me.  They're a little bright for about an hour, then consistent for a long time.
Tacoma DR-20
jbovier vine F5 mandolin
Kentucky KM380 A mando

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands

I say go for the EJ17 challenge! Once you get used to the increased string tension you will never want to go back.

After you have gotten used to the mediums you may want to try a few different brands to see if something stands out, but for now it is better to do a same brand comparison.

If this doesn't work for you I would be happy for you to send me your guitar so that I can set it straight. Just include a SASE for the return.  :WNK>
Ron

I've been playing meds since i've bought my guitar. no problems here.
<- |-|@|\|_$0O ->
1999 LV-09E

My D-02 has had medium Elixirs on it since '99. Your tech knows not from where he speaks. Mediums on a Larrivee 12 string is another story altogether.

I've been using 14-58's for years now,14 Larrivee's can't be wrong. :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I would switch strings and technicians. You are getting bad advise. Mediums are fine.

As said, mediums are stated "OK" to be played on all but the 12 strings from a structural point. But, I will chime in, that I wanted to get some more bass on my LV03BW, I usually use EXP16's, and tried some 17's, and after 2 weeks I changed back.  Why?  The mediums are not subtle enough; I play predominantly fingerstyle, and felt I really had to drive the strings to get past the attack noise.  Put the lights (16's) back on and had that great D'Add sound again--and it was soo much easier on the fingertips!

Go for the mediums. I switched a few months ago and it made a world of difference.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Been playing on meds for years.  Still the 16's are my sstring of choice for everything.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

I use EJ 17's on my D and L but I have continued to use 16's on my OM. I use the OM mostly for at home fingerstyle and the lights do just fine for that. The mediums made a huge difference on the L-03...well on the D-03 also.
charliep

Wile there are many that enjoy the meds on their Larrivees regardless of the model, I personally still prefer lights.  I had mediums on my OM-03R for a few weeks, even tuned down a semitone, I still like lights better.  To each his own I say.

Well, thanks for all the replies.  From what I've read, I'm gathering that my D03R can handle mediums.  That's a relief.

I've got mediums on all of my Larrivees!
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Do you know about Custom Lights?  They go from 11 to 52.  Elixir calls 'em Custom Lights.  Some other manufacturers call them mediums.  I use them on my 000-15S Martin all the time.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

My hands aren't strong enough to do full bends with mediums :UND>, even though I would like to use them.  I do agree that they do add some punch.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

You owe it to yourself to try some newtones.  They have slightly less tension at pitch.  So... mediums play much like lights.  The also offer a fantastic tone.  Very rich and warm to my ears.

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster