New saddle...beating a dead horse?

Started by BillnhisD-03RE, December 28, 2005, 08:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everybody, I just changed out the tusq saddle on my D-03RE to a bone one from Larrivee. It REALLY made a difference!, more sustain, tone, note separation and BASS!!! Now it causes my belly to rumble like a Taco Bell lunch  :GRN> , man I am really glad I installed it now. Has anyone else noticed this dramatic of a change when they went to bone on their rosewood drednaught? 

Bill D.
saddle..beating a dead horse :GRN>
Larrivee D-03RE
Yamaha DWX 7C
Fender TC-90" tele"
Fender "strat"
Ibanez AR200
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech RP 300
Fender Cyber deluxe amp

I had a Larrivee bone saddle replace the stock Tusq saddle on my D-03R. Man, what a difference!

I've only said it about 100 times already lol :GRN>
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

How much does Larrivee want ($$$) for a bone replacement saddle?

:huh:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Not sure, but I think about $20-25 USD, plus shipping.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

I read the title of this thread and it got me to wondering it the bone saddles are from a horse.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on December 29, 2005, 10:26:32 AM
I read the title of this thread and it got me to wondering it the bone saddles are from a horse.

Jim

Old cavalrymen..     :WNK>
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

HEY MIKEY, I GOT MY NEW SADDLE FROM THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT MY LARRIVEE. TRY THAT FIRST, I THINK I ONLY PAID 20 BUCKS FOR IT AND SAVED SHIPPING TIME AND COSTS. I FILED IT DOWN TO FIT MYSELF  AND IT ONLY TOOK AN HOUR OR SO. IF YOU HAVE ELECTRONICS INSTALLED IN YOUR GUITAR IT WILL REQUIRE A LITTLE MORE CARE TO INSTALL THE NEW ONE.

CHEERS...
BILL D.
Larrivee D-03RE
Yamaha DWX 7C
Fender TC-90" tele"
Fender "strat"
Ibanez AR200
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech RP 300
Fender Cyber deluxe amp

Oh yea, got to do the bone. 
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

I'm about to replace with FWI...anyone experience significant differences between the bone and FWI with saddle material?
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

can anyone comment on going from TUSQ to bone on an OM-03R?
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP

Quote from: sublro on December 30, 2005, 08:52:24 AM
can anyone comment on going from TUSQ to bone on an OM-03R?

I did it when I had an OM-03R. Only thing I noticed was an addtional $25 on my credit card.

Try different types of strings.

Jim

i think sometimes there will be dramatic differences, sometimes subtle, sometimes not anything. of course that covers the whole gamut  :GRN>
i put a bone saddle in my L-09 and notices some nice subtle differences, none whatsoever in my OM-03MT,,,if anything it seems to prefer TUSQ.  i know a guitar builder who said he changed a Corian saddle to bone and it made a huge difference, but that was the only guitar in hundreds of changes that it happened to. it happens,,, i think it is probably more unusual to notice a whopping difference, but that sure is worth the incentive :ph34r:  of course, that's just speculation.

QuoteI put a bone saddle in my L-09 and notices some nice subtle differences, none whatsoever in my OM-03MT,,,if anything it seems to prefer TUSQ.
Yeah, that's exactly what I found on my L-03MT.  I wanted to believe that bone was better but my ears said otherwise for this guitar.  Go figure.
Play it daily for best results.

I've fooled around with this on at least 20 guitars.  Sometimes it makes a large difference and sometimes I'll go back to the tusq.

In Alabama the tusq's are loosa........................
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Does anybody have a photo of the bone replacement? I'm curious about the string compensation Larrivée is currently using.

I guess it is something that works best with the dreds. Friends have not had much if any change on their OMs or L body Larris either. I have not heard from anyone here if they did this on a "hog" D-03 and had a dramatic change like some of us with rosewood have. How about it mahogany owners???

cheers..
Bill D.

The next addition to my Larrivee stable will be an 05...man mahogany sounds so good too!!!
Larrivee D-03RE
Yamaha DWX 7C
Fender TC-90" tele"
Fender "strat"
Ibanez AR200
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech RP 300
Fender Cyber deluxe amp

Quote from: saffron_boots on December 30, 2005, 10:01:28 AM
Does anybody have a photo of the bone replacement?

Not sure if it's what you were looking for, but here is a bone replacement:

Jim

Quote from: Peter Cree on December 30, 2005, 09:42:31 AM
I've fooled around with this on at least 20 guitars.  Sometimes it makes a large difference and sometimes I'll go back to the tusq.

I think you can get more of a difference by trying different types and gauges of strings.

Jim

Best laugh I've had in a while!!!!!!!  That is priceless!!!!!!!     :GRN>

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin