Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satin Finish = Garbage!  (Read 2805 times)
bakaguy

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2003, 02:33:28 AM »

After some research I found my answer here:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/cleaning.htm

This is depressing, WHY DOES LARRIVEE USE THIS FINISH????  I might as well buff the whole damn thing to a high gloss at this point, sheesh.  I paid a LOT of money for a guitar with a cheap finish that cannot be maintained and will wear out from simply rubbing my sleeve against it.  I just feel sorry for the poor -CENSORED- that pays $800 for a parlour, I'll be sure to keep mine in the case in order to keep the finish from falling off.  C.F. Martin, you had it right.  angry
BW dreaming

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 05:12:54 AM »

Pretty much everyone uses that kind of finish.  Taylor, Martin, Tacoma, Larrivee, the list goes on.  I personally think it looks a lot classier and more like wood, which I like.  But it's your opinion. :)

bakaguy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 06:13:39 AM »

I like it, too.  Don't get me wrong, it does have appeal, I prefer it over the in-your-face mirrored glossy plastic look.  My gripe is that I would appreciate it not being so fragile and soft that it rubs off with hardly any effort.  

At this point the guitar's value is gone if I ever decided to sell it in attempt to upgrade or for any other reason.  Now, it looks awful, but sounds good....I wish the handbook would have mentioned this issue amidst the 15 pages of what climates will make it disintegrate.
plumb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 06:13:54 AM »

Look on the bright side!  Atleast you don't have to worry about vinyl, bug spray, and all sorts of other solvents reacting with your finish.  True, Martin gloss finishes are much more easily repaired, but are also more susceptible to damage.

I have a satin Larrivee- I like how it doesn't smudge with fingerprints or grease, how it doesn't get sticky when I sweat on stage, and how it doesn't show scratches as easily.  Cheer up!

p.s. if you are desperate to restore the satin finish, you might try rubbing some 0000 steel wool on the shiny parts, very briefly.  I do that to my Martin to make the back of the neck satin, so it isn't as sticky.
bakaguy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 06:26:38 AM »

I tried that, it only polished it more to a dull, hazy gloss.  The entire back is like that now.   I'm afraid I'll hit wood with the slightest effort.  Thanks, though.  
"p.s. if you are desperate to restore the satin finish, you might try rubbing some 0000 steel wool on the shiny parts, very briefly. I do that to my Martin to make the back of the neck satin, so it isn't as sticky."  
Zach
Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 01:27:25 PM »

After some research I found my answer here:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/cleaning.htm

This is depressing, WHY DOES LARRIVEE USE THIS FINISH????  I might as well buff the whole damn thing to a high gloss at this point, sheesh.  I paid a LOT of money for a guitar with a cheap finish that cannot be maintained and will wear out from simply rubbing my sleeve against it.  I just feel sorry for the poor -CENSORED- that pays $800 for a parlour, I'll be sure to keep mine in the case in order to keep the finish from falling off.  C.F. Martin, you had it right.  angry
Larrivee uses this finish, along with almost every other major guitar maker, to cut down on costs.  That's part of the price difference between an 03 and an 05, a Taylor 310 and a 510, or a Martin 15 and 17.  

There are advantages/disadvatages to each, but that's part of the trade off.  Some like the way satin looks,  but it's noisy.  Some like way gloss looks but it can crack or check.  I hate the position that you're in and what happened to your guitar, but to jump on Larrivee (or any builder) for using a satin finish is a little unfair.  If you leave a gloss finish in a cold car it could check.  Is this the guitar makers fault?  Unfortunately there are issues with both types of finishes that we aren't always aware of until it's too late.

I don't want to sound like I'm saying Larrivee can do no wrong.  I think this issue is applicable to all guitar makers.

Zach

Zach
bakaguy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 06:23:06 PM »

Larrivee uses this finish, along with almost every other major guitar maker, to cut down on costs.  That's part of the price difference between an 03 and an 05, a Taylor 310 and a 510, or a Martin 15 and 17. 

There are advantages/disadvatages to each, but that's part of the trade off.  Some like the way satin looks,  but it's noisy.  Some like way gloss looks but it can crack or check.  I hate the position that you're in and what happened to your guitar, but to jump on Larrivee (or any builder) for using a satin finish is a little unfair.  If you leave a gloss finish in a cold car it could check.  Is this the guitar makers fault?  Unfortunately there are issues with both types of finishes that we aren't always aware of until it's too late.

I don't want to sound like I'm saying Larrivee can do no wrong.  I think this issue is applicable to all guitar makers.

Zach

I'd rather have a finish check than a glossy spot in the middle of a satin Milky Way any day.  Leaving an instrument in exteme temperature conditions is much different than simply rubbing it with a cloth.  I understand that a lot of makers use this finish, obviously for the quick turn around and not being really concerned about the finish lasting 50 years, that's how you sell more guitars.  I consider Larrivee' the best of them all and love their products, this is my only issue with them.  It IS the maker's fault, in my opinion, for cutting corners and using a water based finish that won't last.  I appreciate eveyone's input and don't mean disrespect for your opinions, just adding my 2 cents on an issue that is bound to come up again and again when these instruments are more than a young 5 years old.  I don't know anyone with a satin finish this old, I'd love to hear from them on its condition. ;)  
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 01:19:17 AM »

I have an OM-Lite in satin. It gets played every day, shows some shiny spots. Particularly where my arm rests on the rear upper bout, the back of the neck is shiny, I don`t use picks so I have a shiny spot where my fingers sometimes rest on the body near the pickguard I added. Doesnt affect the sound, the guitar looks played which is what a guitar is supposed to be used for. Have you seen Trigger? Now THAT is a well played guitar.
I didn`t buy the guitar with any concern about the value of a resale. Bought it because it is a great little guitar.  It gets well cleaned after every time I play it, I baby my gear but there is nothing to be done about the satin finish so I don`t worry about it. Guess I don`t worry too much about appearance but rather sound and playability.... the Lite has both. I`m happy.
I have a Lakewood and an all solid Yamaha with lacquer finishes.... they will check with time. Can`t be helped. When Frank Zappa said " shut up and play your guitar "... I listened.
By the way... baka is a Japanese word... you in Japan?
bakaguy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 04:14:32 AM »

I didn`t buy the guitar with any concern about the value of a resale. Bought it because it is a great little guitar.  It gets well cleaned after every time I play it, I baby my gear but there is nothing to be done about the satin finish so I don`t worry about it. Guess I don`t worry too much about appearance but rather sound and playability.... the Lite has both. I`m happy.
I have a Lakewood and an all solid Yamaha with lacquer finishes.... they will check with time. Can`t be helped. When Frank Zappa said " shut up and play your guitar "... I listened.
By the way... baka is a Japanese word... you in Japan?
I know what you're saying and that's what my luthier friend here in San Francisco, Rich Collopy, told me "Just play it".  It's like the phase when you have a new car and you get that first door ding.  It's a gem of a guitar and I love the sound of the L body with koa.  I'm not going to sell it, in fact when Doc Watson comes to this area in January, I'm going to have him sign the top as big as he can with a Sharpie!  I need the inspiration and feel it will be baptized if he holds it. :P

No, I'm not in Japan, my wife is from Nagoya and "baka", which means silly, stupid or foolish one, is a name I've become all too familiar with over the years!  I saw another poster that lives there, I've only been once.

sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 12:18:22 AM »

could be we used to communicate in a chat room before? Fender chat or something like that? I`m Pete. Ping pong....does that ring a bell?
bikodog

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 01:48:56 AM »

I just had a 2 inch side crack/dent and a top dent (don't ask) fixed in my satin D-03  by a  local luthier.  He used hide glue and some type of satin finisher and it looks fantastic.  Can hardly tell where the boo-boo's were,  someone who didn't know could not find them for sure.  

I'm not sure the satin finish is that unrepairable.  the side crack was pretty bad, with mashed wood and a flake, and it looks great now.

Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: