Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee virgin  (Read 1052 times)
nomad

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:57:13 PM »

Well folks, I guess I'm about to be deflowered this week as I ordered a LV03RE yesterday. Played one in a music store about three weeks ago and it's been on my mind ever since. Put my 410ce taylor up for sale and I guess I'll let it go Thursday night. Was doing research and came across this sight and stayed up way past my bed time last night reading different discussions. One thing I found is that you sure seem to be loyal to this brand of instrument. That tells me that you are well satisifed with your guitars which means more to me  than any amount of advertising.  Larrivee should be proud to have this much user support, and I hope that after a while I will be as sold on Larrivee as you are
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 07:16:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum. I'm curious as to what drew you to the Larrivee over the Taylor. They are both good instruments. My favorite thing about Larrivees besides overall value is their neck profile.
nomad

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 07:24:42 PM »

I was drawn mostly by the tone and ease of play. I like a mellow sound in my guitars and the rosewood was just the ticket. The only concern I have is I know that no two guitars sound the same and I hope the one I have ordered at least sounds close to the one I played. The only change I may make is going to medium strings
Rescon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 07:34:53 PM »

Welcome to the family!!! :GRN> I am a convert like you, Taylorless now, only Larry's for me. Nothing against Taylor, I just find the overall tonal balence of my LV and Larrivees in general to be unbelieveable. I just can't believe my ears when I play. Don't seem to have much GAS anymore. I got a Koa/spruce Parlor on the way and can't wait to hear what all the hub bub is about.
Anywho, enjoy your new LV, and, make sure you use a drool bib... ^_^
Happy Holidays.    Nick

LV-09 CE
Washburn - Dread
Brazilian Parlor
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 07:53:22 PM »

Welcome aboard, Nomad. 

I sold a Martin OM-28V to get my Larrive OM Hog top.  Bought it sight unseen based on feedback from this forum.  Fantastic guitar!  Don't worry about consistency with Larrivee.  You'll be fine. 

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:07:31 PM »

You have chosen wisely nomad.  You will not be disappointed.  I bought my OM-03R never having played one.  I just knew I wanted a rosewood back & sides, spruce top in an OM shape and size.  I got mine from one of our local dealers that post regularly here on the forum.  I got a deal and a half price wise and the deal of the century guitar wise.  Not to mention, being Canadian, there's a certain pride in owning something made here, where I'm from.  Congrats and welcome to the club.

Finalannsa

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:15:40 PM »

DBERCH-  What exactly is a "hogtop"?
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »

Sorry, Finalannsa!    Hogtop = Mahogany top.  That's a Larrivee OM-05MT.

One of these: http://www.guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=17519&cat=0&page=1

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 08:34:05 PM »

DBERCH-  What exactly is a "hogtop"?

mahogany top
most Larrivees have sitka spruce.  Some are made with mahgany like the Martin 15 series

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 08:49:01 PM »

You mean it's not pigskin stretched over the top frame of the instrument, kinda like a banjo?!  I've been misled...

Seriously, Nomad, your "wandering" days may be over...

...I was just thinking last night how blessed I am to have - not one - but TWO awesome Larrivee's!  Both have incredible woods, incredible workmanship/playablity and excellent TONE! 

Makes it kinda hard to want anything new for Christmas ('cept more time to play and more $$ for Cleartone strings!).

-_-

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
C10E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 08:56:15 PM »

The Martin 15 series hasn't used mahogany for either the top or back and sides for some time now.  They use sapele.  Their website says they are made with either sapele or mahogany, but they haven't actually used mahogany for a while because of the soaring cost and limited availability of real mahogany now that it is controlled under CITES.  Martin also no longer uses mahogany for their necks either - not even on higher end models like the 18s and 28s.  They use "select hardwood" which means whatever hardwood that is available on the market at a reasonable price.  If you doubt what I am saying, here is a link to Martin's website that provides the specs on the D-15 http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=s&g=5&m=D-15   I respect Larrivee enormously for holding out and still using mahogany in their guitars - not just the 05s but also the 03s, and for all of the necks as well.  I'm not sure how much longer they can hold out with this given the cost and scarcity of mahogany, but it is great while it is lasting.
Finalannsa

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 09:37:51 PM »

My first new guitar was a Martin D-15.  I couldn't tell if it was made of Mahogony or Sapele.  It sounded pretty damn good and it had a lot of bass.  I am also blessed with two Larrivee's.  Aaah...life is good.
tubetone74

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 12:30:03 AM »

Welcome nomad. I like you have discovered the wonderful world of Larrivee'. Sold my Taylor 70ce-L9 and maybe my 615ce before too long. Nice guitars but the Larry's definately sound better to my ears.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: