Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satin Finish Boo Boo!  (Read 1176 times)
bakaguy

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2003, 11:35:44 PM »

Hello All,

I am new here and need some advice.  As a proud owner of a new L-03K and a year old rosewood parlour I can honestly say Larrivee' guitars are becoming my passion (obsession?), I love them!  

I have done something that has made me sick....  My brand spanking new L-03K is my new sweetheart and I had noticed a couple light scratches on the back which I think came from the store by rubbing the headstock of another guitar while it was picked up at some point.  Nothing serious, but I decided to put a little polish on it to buff them out a little and then I saw that I had a big high gloss shiny spot in the middle of the satin finish!  Stupidly, I decided to buff the rest of back to make it blend, but it looked even worse!  I then tryed to obtain the satin sheen again by lightly sanding with some 600 grit emery paper and now it's just a dull, ugly shine....

I am SICK!  I love the satin finish and want it back!  The koa is so beautiful and because I am such a perfectionist I have ruined the look of my new guitar when I should have left it alone.  I am used to lacquer gloss finishes and have made crappy guitar finishes look new, but this is devastating.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

John :(  
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 06:22:35 PM »

Try an 800 grit but use a sanding block.  Using just your fingers will make it uneven and actually polish it out (I found out the hard way too).

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
bakaguy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 06:40:04 PM »

Try an 800 grit but use a sanding block.  Using just your fingers will make it uneven and actually polish it out (I found out the hard way too).
Thanks, I didn't know if going finer grit would only make it shinier or if I should go rougher.  I also found on an 'This Old House' website that buffing with 0000 steel wool and paste wax would do it as well.  But, I don't want to go too far, it's pretty thin.  :rolleyes:  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: