Project Guitar: Input on methods (NEW 12/22)

Started by didymus21, December 02, 2005, 12:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hahaha well it could be that same kind of neck joint, im not sure id want to find out though....that kind of neck removal is brain surgery on guitar haha. if you are really going to remove the back, then youll be able to tell easier what kind of neck joint it is. removing a neck is a difficult procedure, removing one thats a spanish heel or epoxied on the body like that could be, is even harder. i highly recommend finding out more about the neck joint before trying anything. removing the fretboard or the back will give you more info on it. maybe theres specific info on the guitar online somewhere...although im sure you looked.

Im interested to know what you used to take the pictures inside the guitar. They came out very clear.

Also, its very interesting to me to see your progress as you work on this guitar.

Addicting isnt it?

Matthew.

Cool looking pics!  It's good to have a one of a kind.
Collings OM2HSB
Bryan Shaw Custom Acoustic
1974 Alvarez Yairi DY77

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on December 09, 2005, 01:07:39 AM
Im interested to know what you used to take the pictures inside the guitar. They came out very clear.

Also, its very interesting to me to see your progress as you work on this guitar.

Addicting isnt it?

Matthew.

Hey Matthew,

Glad you like the work so far.  I'll take a job in your factory any day! :)

I simply took the pictures by lowering my digital camera into the soundhole with the timer going. 

Ok guys...for some of you that have watched my progress, this might be upsetting.  I decided that because the back had water damage and the veneer was splitting I'd just replace the whole back.  Interestingly enough, the SIDES ARE SOLID LIKE THE TOP!  So now I'll replace the veneer back with solid mahagony and I'll have an all-solid wood guitar (though it won't come close to my L-10 ;) )

It started of well...

Then everything fel apart...but my kitten and girlfriend enjoyed the show.

The braces didn't come off with the back, so I'll take them off next...shave them down a bit...then re-use them if possible.

Here's the neck joint....I decided I am going to leave it as it is.

Final two pictures of the back (Braces still attached)

It is STILL my opinion that this bracing pattern is pretty elementary.  Any suggestions to change it?

(I am going to clean this guitar up, so any future posts should have "cleaner" pics
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

It's been fun watching your progress on this! How those finals coming??  :wacko:
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

Quote from: mazareth on December 12, 2005, 07:38:52 AM
It's been fun watching your progress on this! How those finals coming??  :wacko:

Finals are over and I did well; add another honor roll to the list ;)

So anyone know how I could change this bracing...or should I leave it as is?
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: didymus21 on December 04, 2005, 09:34:32 PM
Can anyone translate?

Accented letters not noted...

"Fabrique a production des instruments musicaux"
"Kremona Bulgare"
"Kazanlik"

Here's the only website I've found on them
http://www.blik.h1.ru/
The first line is bad french (translated from another language?) It says something like "Manufacturer of musical instruments".

Hey, that looks like a russian site. My brother learned a little bit of russian. I could ask him to make a rough translation when he has the time.

Cool project!!! I must admit that when I saw the first picture, I thought «what an UGLY guitar!» Now that the paint is off, it looks promising.

My vote goes to brazilian rosewood for the back, and ebony for the fretboard. Have fun!
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

Quote from: didymus21 on December 12, 2005, 07:18:06 PM
Finals are over and I did well; add another honor roll to the list ;)

So anyone know how I could change this bracing...or should I leave it as is?

Are you talking about the bracing on the soundboard or the back? The bracing on the soundboard is well - minimalistic - but it seems to have worked for this guitar. I would leave it, maybe just clean it up. The bracing on the back is fine.  Since they are sunk into the lining I wouldnt change them. Just sand them clean with some 180 and you'll be laughing.

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on December 19, 2005, 12:32:34 AM
Are you talking about the bracing on the soundboard or the back? The bracing on the soundboard is well - minimalistic - but it seems to have worked for this guitar. I would leave it, maybe just clean it up. The bracing on the back is fine.  Since they are sunk into the lining I wouldnt change them. Just sand them clean with some 180 and you'll be laughing.

I've decided to do something drastic.  I am changing the guitar from a floating bridge to a typically steel-string glued bridge.  I'll brace the top with symmetrical X.  Hopefully this will turn it into a more responsive instrument....I am mainly doing this for the practice, since I eventually want to build my own instrument.  So far, getting this bracing out has been tough...I'll keep the pictures coming.  In the process of buying a solid mahogany back and new fretboard.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Well, I'm back...and here's what I've done.

After thoroughly cleaning the back braces, I decided...what the heck, let's just get rid of them...so I did...trying to think of novel (yet easy) ways top do this failed.  I tried heating, but the glue they used resisted, so I just cut them out and chiseled them down.

Now I had to decide what to do with those darn top braces.  I wanted to try heat again, but I was unsure if that might tend to separate the glued sounboard...

I decided to thin them with a drill first...

Nicely thinned (gutted)

Now to the chisel...(THERE MUST HAVE BEEN AN EASIER WAY!)

Now nicely sanded, though there were a few chisel scuffs on the board from my lack of experience, the board is now sanded flat for the new bracing

(Before fine sanding)

(After fine sanding)

Lastly I am in the process of covering the existing tailpiece holes.  I'm really hesitant to continue this process; only because I'm not totally convinced I want to convert this guitar to the typical steel-string.  Any votes for converting it to a set bridge steel-string, or keep it as the floating bridge design?

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Thanks for the continuing updates Diddy. If you're going to stay with the ladder braciing pattern, a regular style bridge may cause bellying behind the bridge and a cave-in in front of it... If you go to frets.com, there are some pictures of top bracing from some of the larger makers.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/History/Martin/MartinBraces/martinbraces.html
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

Quote from: mazareth on December 23, 2005, 08:28:50 AM
Thanks for the continuing updates Diddy. If you're going to stay with the ladder braciing pattern, a regular style bridge may cause bellying behind the bridge and a cave-in in front of it... If you go to frets.com, there are some pictures of top bracing from some of the larger makers.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/History/Martin/MartinBraces/martinbraces.html

I have a guitar making book from which I'll figure out how to use the regular style bridge and new bracing.  (Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology)
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

hey wow..i havent been on here in a couple of weeks due to computer problems and then internet problems. glad to see youre making good progress. thats an excellent book youve got there for reference. check out bob benedetto's archtop book too if you can, tons of great info in that too that applies to guitar building of all sorts.  id recommend a maple back for that guitar...itll match the sides.

Quote from: Frets on December 24, 2005, 04:10:42 AM
hey wow..i havent been on here in a couple of weeks due to computer problems and then internet problems. glad to see youre making good progress. thats an excellent book youve got there for reference. check out bob benedetto's archtop book too if you can, tons of great info in that too that applies to guitar building of all sorts.  id recommend a maple back for that guitar...itll match the sides.

I am pretty sure the sides are mahogany...

Maybe someone can comment for sure?

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

I'd like to know if the above pic is mahogany.

Additionally, which bracing pattern looks best to any luthiers on the site?

OR

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Did you give up????????
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

Quote from: inspector13 on January 09, 2006, 01:51:30 PM
Did you give up????????

Heh...I wasn't sure anyone cared anymore.  I've done a few more things, but school just started again, so I am a little backed up.  I'll keep up posting until someone tells me to stop wasting the forum space, :) 
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

That wood looks to light in color to be mahogany, it looks like oak or something??

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: roknroll on January 09, 2006, 10:06:30 PM
That wood looks to light in color to be mahogany, it looks like oak or something??

Oak with a flame like that?

I know a lot of the guitar has been maple...could it be maple (i.e. veneer maple back and maple neck)
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

im pretty sure that is maple on the sides of that guitar. its looking pretty good in the pics so far and i think the second bracing pattern is better than the first one you have picked. i cant wait to see more pics. i havent had a chance to get online much lately, but i try to look in as much as i can.