What Kind Of Electric Amp Do You Use?

Started by HangFire, April 01, 2004, 02:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am currently using a Dr. Z Maz Jr. (No Reverb).  18 watts of el84 goodness.

Welcome to the forum trivial!

Your gonna love this place. :)

That's a nice Dr. Z Maz Jr., is it class A?  What kinda speakers?
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

QuoteWelcome to the forum trivial!

Your gonna love this place. :)

That's a nice Dr. Z Maz Jr., is it class A?  What kinda speakers?
Thanks for the welcome.  I think I recognize your name from the (former) TGF.  
I am using a DR. Z 2x10 cab with my head... the speakers are Z's own special design.  I really dig it... but I am looking forward to adding a Z 1x12 cab to go with it somewhere down the road.

...and yes, it is class A.

-Matt

QuoteAs much as I love my acoustics :D I have gas for this amp right now http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...INTAGE16&CID=GA
as soon as I can this will be my the next GAS product I buy :D
Great price, how's the tone?
Hey Hangfire from the soundclips I've heard it sounds great and I'll probaly end up buying it as soon as I can here's a link to the sound clips from carvin's website

http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/rooms/vintage16.html

QuoteAs much as I love my acoustics :D I have gas for this amp right now http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...INTAGE16&CID=GA
as soon as I can this will be my the next GAS product I buy :D
Great price, how's the tone?
Hey Hangfire from the soundclips I've heard it sounds great and I'll probaly end up buying it as soon as I can here's a link to the sound clips from carvin's website

http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/rooms/vintage16.html
This is going to be a hard deal to beat for $399.00!  I saw one of these in Westwood Music the other day but did not give it a listen.  I might have go back... :o  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

I have been considering waiting for the Reverend Goblin 5 - 15 which will be out in June:

http://www.reverenddirect.com/reverend/amp...etc/goblin.html

Has anyone had any experiance with Reverend?  I wonder how it stacks up against the Carvin, they seem to be going after the same market?

HangFire Did you try out the Vintage 16 say did they also have one of these there as well the SX50 this one is in my price range now $299.00

Sorry Slim I have no experince with the Reverend Amps

QuoteI have been considering waiting for the Reverend Goblin 5 - 15 which will be out in June:

http://www.reverenddirect.com/reverend/amp...etc/goblin.html

Has anyone had any experiance with Reverend?  I wonder how it stacks up against the Carvin, they seem to be going after the same market?
I wouldn't get my hopes up....  

This amp was supposed to be out over a year ago I think.  For some reason they keep pushing it back.

Zach

1971 Twin Reverb, Oxfords replaced with Weber C12CA California speakers.  Big clean tone.
D-02E

I've had one of those silverface Twins before.  Those things are loud and clean!  Talk about headroom... :o

Built like a tank, I used to chain it to the car bumper and drag it to the gig! :lol:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

QuoteHangFire Did you try out the Vintage 16 say did they also have one of these there as well the SX50 this one is in my price range now $299.00

Sorry Slim I have no experince with the Reverend Amps
SCR378, I don't think Westwood Music usually carries Carvin.  I think they had that one in on a trade.  Is the SX50 tube?  If it is, $299.00 is a great list price! :)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

The SX50 is a solid state amp From the carvin site about the SX50 by the way I agree $299 is a great price :D

QuoteSX50 - 50W 1x12'' amp with Classic tube Emulation and Digital Effects

Two independent channels (one clean and one overdrive) offering three bands of active EQ, deliver all the tonal flexibility you need - and the 24 Bit digital effects, with awesome reverb, chorus, flange, and delay patches will make your sound rich and full.
Line out, headphone jack, effects loop, and footswitch jack round out the features of this great amp.

SX Series Classic Tube Emulation, awesome digital effects, famous X4 knobs, rich black vinyl covering and the brass red jewel light continue to make the American made SX Series one of the hottest amps on the market today! No one will know you're not using a tube amp. The reason is Carvin's exclusive "SX" Classic Tube Emulation which has received rave reviews through the years by such notable amp gurus as: David Hicks, Craig Anderton, and Pete Prown (not to mention the thousands of raving SX amp owners).

Emulation or Modeling? Unlike other "modeling" amps, the SX doesn't just copy the sounds of other amplifiers – it actually emulates 12AX7 tube circuitry. The SX waveforms successfully "emulates" real tube waveforms that breathe and express warmth from a mild soft-clip to a full power soaked sustain. Pro players and industry gurus have stated that the SX Tube Emulator actually sounds better than many tube amps!

two channels – Clean and Distortion. Each channel has its own independent volume control for setting up equal levels quickly and easily. The SX200 and SX200H adds true "Dual Channel 1 & 2" capabilities allowing both channels to be played at the same time with different instruments.
Active Tone Controls All models feature Bass, Mid and Treble controls on both channels. The SX200 and SX200H goes even further by adding a Presence control to each channel for more high-end.

24-BIT EFFECTS Once you have your tone, add in just the right amount of lush reverbs, rich choruses, thick textured flanging and pristine echoes using fully adjustable parameters for damping, decay, depth, speed, time and regeneration–up to 256 24-Bit effects. The SX200 and SX200H adds a second digital processor dedicated to creating a lush, concert-hall reverb at the push of a button.

Smart Effects™ allows the use of a different effect setting for each channel. Once you've dialed in your effect settings on one channel, you can switch to the other channel and dial in a different effect. Smart Effects™ automatically stores your settings for each channel even after the amp is turned off.

SX MODELS The 50 watt SX50 with one heavy-duty 12" GT12 speaker is perfect for practice, small gigs or even large venues if you mic it. The SX100, SX200 and SX200H feature a full 100 watts RMS – plenty for most situations. All models feature the heavy-duty 100w GT12 speaker that provides awesome guitar reproduction – from clean to blues to scream'n metal. The SX200 features two 12" speakers for an even bigger sound. The SX200H head can be paired with either a 4x12 half stack or 8x12 full stack.

QuoteTechnical Specs

Power amp: 50 watts - THD less than .1% at 50% power, Freq. Response: 20 to 20k Hz • True Dual channel design - clean and overdrive • "SX" Classic Tube Emulation with overdrive control - turn down the overdrive for 2 independent clean channels • Active 3 band EQ for each channel--Bass, Mid, Treble • DSP effects--Chorus, Reverb, Flanging & Echo • Optional foot switch for channel & DSP effects (On/Off) switching • Headphone & Pre-amp output jacks • Light weight - no particle board. • Covered in Black Lavant • SX50 Weight: 36 lbs.

QuoteTechnical Specs

Power amp: 50 watts - THD less than .1% at 50% power, Freq. Response: 20 to 20k Hz • True Dual channel design - clean and overdrive • "SX" Classic Tube Emulation with overdrive control - turn down the overdrive for 2 independent clean channels • Active 3 band EQ for each channel--Bass, Mid, Treble • DSP effects--Chorus, Reverb, Flanging & Echo • Optional foot switch for channel & DSP effects (On/Off) switching • Headphone & Pre-amp output jacks • Light weight - no particle board. • Covered in Black Lavant • SX50 Weight: 36 lbs.
That's a lot of features packed into a small package!  I'll have to hear it sometime;-)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

If and when I do get it HangFire I'll get some sound clips up for ya

Fender Deluxe Reverb (1980). Fender Bronco (actually a Vibro-Champ) from 1970s. Kind of looking for Princeton Chorus.

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

peavy 5150 it sounds great it's just to bad it's only got 2 channels.  I would like to have a tripple rectifier but hey don't we all
larrivee LV-05E

GUITAR: Soldano SLO-100 and Soldano X99

BASS:  Kern IP-777 preamp and Crown K2 power amp

I <3 POW

Vox AC15
beautiful amp...
Saint-Brieuc (France)
Larrivée OM-09 LH  /   Avalon L25 LH  / Seagull S6 LH  / Mandolin Paul Doyle