Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuner Problems  (Read 1605 times)
jankymutt

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:52:41 PM »

Over the last month I've noticed my LV03 is WAY out of tune every morning.   

Is this a common occurrence with the stock tuners?

When I first bought the guitar 13 months ago it would only be slightly out of tune, which isn't a big deal.  I thought it was the type of strings or the way I strung the guitar, but I've tried different variations and it still is out of tune everyday. 

Should I look into some open back tuners or some other high quality tuners?  I'm a bit hesitant to drill new holes, but I'll give it a shot if I have to.

-Myles

2005 Larrivée  LV-03
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:06:58 AM »

I'll take a wild guess and say that this probably isn't a problem with your tuners. It would be unusual that all lof your tuners slipped at the same time.

Any chance there is a major temperature/humidity swing in your home overnight?

Ron

jankymutt

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:14:37 AM »

The temperature has been fairly constant but the humidity has been fluctuating between 40% and 60%.  I haven't noted the overnight change, but that's a good guess.  This is my first New England winter and coming from Los Angeles, I'm not used to worrying about humidity. 

So should I buy a dehumidifier?  Is it bad to have it fluctuate so much?  I made some homemade case humidifiers but I am unprepared for high humidity.
I thought there would be low humidity in the winter, but sometimes its around 59%.  I suppose when it starts snowing it will drop significantly...

2005 Larrivée  LV-03
jcbuggs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:53:27 AM »

Janky,

Yes you are right. The hunidity will drop once it gets cold. Weather has been kind of mild here (I'm on the Cape) letely. I think it hit 60 today. I use a room humidifier with good luck in the winter. Usually start using it right after the heat goes on, but it hasn't dried out that much yet. Humidity in my house right now is 57%.

ps Welcome to Boston! :GRN>

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
jankymutt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 05:00:49 AM »

ps Welcome to Boston! :GRN>

Thanks!! I love Boston!

Do you have a dehumidifier for the summer months? Have you noticed tuning problems with the recent high humidity?? 

-Myles

2005 Larrivée  LV-03
CF Larrivee

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:09:20 PM »

Simply  stated , keeping the temperature and especially the humidity at a moderate rate will keep your guitar healthy. The reason the guitar goes out of tune in the winter months is because of low humidity produced from heating sources. I have read that the average furnace puts out air at about 18% relative humidity! That's like having your instrument out in the desert. I am a pro piano technician and let me tell you, humidity related problems are the #1 enemy of acoustic pianos, particularly excessive dryness. Pianos manufacturers  are almost in complete  agreement that the ideal humidity for pianos is about 42%. I would believe this would hold true for any wooden musical instrument. To show you how humidity  effects the pitch on pianos, there is a concert grand Steinway here at the U. of GA that on the 24th of Oct, the hall humidity was 43%. This morning, the hall is running 26%. The pitch in the mid section of the instrument has dropped almost 20 cents! No wonder I don't have any hair left. :<>

"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
jcbuggs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »

Thanks!! I love Boston!

Do you have a dehumidifier for the summer months? Have you noticed tuning problems with the recent high humidity?? 

-Myles

Living on the Cape I usually run dehumidifiers in my basement rooms all summer long. Basement rooms on the Cape tend to get very humid in the summer months. Something about the high sand content in the soil I think. Anyway the guitars live down there in the summer and up in the bedroom with the humidifiers in the winter. I have not had any tuning problems though.

Joe

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »

Yes, I'm in MA too.   In winter (whenever heat is on) you will typically notice that the guitar goes flat as it drys out, you need to humidify with a Dampit, Planet Waves, or just a damp sponge in a plastic bag or soap case with holes.    In summer, no humidity control needed, it's fine in or out of case.  However, if you keep your guitars in the basement like I do, they will go sharp from too much humidity in summer.  I don't think it would ever be wet enough to be a problem, but I run a dehumidifier in my basement in summer for human comfort.  Pretty much human comfort=guitar comfort in my experience.  I must say that having a guitar go way sharp overnight is very strange! 

D-02E
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 06:19:53 PM »

I don't argue that humidy/cliamte/season change will surely affect the "tuning" . . . I also find that it (usually) affects all the strings - low E to high E.  I would also suggest you ensure the tension screw on each tuner is tightened properly.  It's pretty unusual for a "quality" guitar to get overly out of tune over night . . . (IMO)

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 03:35:26 PM »

I'm having the same problem with my new L-03. It goes sharp on almost every string, usually from +2.5% ~ +20%.
So is it really due to climate/humidity change? Or due to allegedly inferior stock Ping tuners?
I usually hang my guitar on the wall in my study room, FYI.

If the tuners are slipping would not the guitar be flat. If it continually goes sharp seems to me it must be weather related, or you are infested with guitar tuning gremlins.
I am amazed at how well all my guitars stay in tune at home. When I travel to a different climate I need a major tuning, other than that most of the time it is just a few strings that need a slight touch up.

You may want to check the batteries in you tuner (assuming you are using one). Your guitar may be staying at the same pitch, but you may be getting false readings.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: