Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound of D-50/60 compared to D-05/09/10  (Read 1014 times)
1musiclover

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2005, 10:12:40 PM »

Hi All,

I am looking into the purchase of a Larrivee and would like to know what actual users think about the sound differences between the above models.  I am fairly set on the D shape since I am a fairly heavy strummer and like the sound of my present Ibanez dreadnaught.

I would guess that most of the differnce(s) come from the wood used which I understand varies between Mahogany and Rosewood.

I look forward to reading your opinions.

Thanks.

rpg51

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 11:30:28 PM »

I have played a D 05 (my son's) and my OM 50 quite a bit - and in the same room.  I would say that my guitar is a little more even accross the bass to treble range and a little more punchy. But I have never played an OM 05 so I'm not sure this is a fair comparison.

Rob

Bourgeois JOM Cedar
Bourgeois Vintage OM
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1916)
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 05:33:29 AM »

05/09's has more bass, but not as tight.

I still think the real gem is SD-50

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
omegaman416

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 05:52:10 AM »

I just got a D-60 used for a decent price and personally think it may be one of the very best, loudest, and most beautiful guitars for the money. I am very happy with it. The rosewood really projects, you can feel it vibrate in your whole body, seems very balanced for being a dred, bass is loud but not boomy and the mids and trebles are ringing nicely. Easy to play and not too heavy at all.

The world is not a black and white place-It's green and blue
BGMF
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 03:20:08 PM »

I prefer and love my D05 with it's "traditional" Larrivée looks.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 03:52:16 PM »

I prefer and love my D05 with it's "traditional" Larrivée looks.

I've never had the pleasure of trying the D-05 but I have tried a D-50.  I think the style/look is the biggest difference between the two.  The D-50 will more than likely have a more open sound with the bigger soundhole. 

1musiclover

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »

Thanks to all who replied!  I really appreciate it.

I have some more questions :rolleyes:

What is an SD-50?  And, are the differences between the D-50 and D-60 typical of those between rosewood bodied and mahogony bodied guitars?

Thanks again!

guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 04:31:17 PM »

Have you listened to the sound clips yet?

1musiclover

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »

No, I haven't.  I don't think I could hear any difference with my computer and the attached speakers.  Ever listen to an old transitor radio with the earpiece?  Just slightly better than that. :WNK>
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 06:21:55 PM »

Thanks to all who replied!  I really appreciate it.

I have some more questions :rolleyes:

What is an SD-50?  And, are the differences between the D-50 and D-60 typical of those between rosewood bodied and mahogony bodied guitars?

Thanks again!

The SD is a sloped dreadnaught, which is basically the old style dreadnaught. 

http://www.12fret.com/new/larrivee_SD-60_SH.html

They have 12 fret  necks and slotted headstocks.  BIG sounding guitars, very cool.  Martin made them before making the standard dreads we know today.

I've never actually played a Larrivee SD but I did try, a couple of times, a Martin D-15S which is all mahogany.  It sounded huge.  I can only assume an SD-50 or 60, with a nice sitka spruce top, would be nothing short of a cannon for strumming and flatpicking.

I think there are a few here on the forum that have one.

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 04:14:28 AM »

Larger soundhole generally imply more high/mid-high response (explains the balance), thus explaining the better "ring" in the traditional series.  And yes you can hear the back/side woods in the 50/60 guitars.

The SD has a 15 3/8" lower bout (like an OM) so it's more comfy than a D, but the longer body (joins the neck at 12th fret) gives it even more power than a Dread.  The SD has a very wide nut (1 7/8" I believe), because it's more meant for fingerstyle, since the sounds are so punchy.  You can hear a recording on top of the list of threads, which are links to guitar adoptions site (also have them).  But I think you have to play it to see that the recordings misses out on the overtones of the SD.  The SD-50 seems to be the more desirable one, because it's got alot more punch than the Rosewood one.  I play the classical so I love the sound of the SD-50, and I like the nut width alot too.  But strumming wise you might want to look at the the regular D's.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 09:28:53 PM »

I would look at the OOO 50's and 60's too if I could. Only slightly smaller than a dread, 12 fret slot head,  long scale, wide nut, deep body, large soundhole. Great sounding guitars.
kilgorekid

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 02:12:51 AM »

SD-50 owner here.  If you want to be heard above the crowd, the SD(50 or 60) will get the job done!  It is a loud, full sounding guitar.  The differences from the regualr "D" series are: (1) The body has a slope design to it.  (2)  There are 12 frets to the body (who goes beyond there, anyway?)  (3) Slotted headstock (Don't know why-but, it sure looks cool)  and (4) 1 & 7/8" width at the nut.  I find this size very comfortable and it gives you lots of room.  I really like the mahogany Larrivee uses as it looks great and gives you a tone that rings.  I'd recommend giving the SD series a close look.  C'mon!  Take a walk on the wild side!
Bill :GRN>

Collings OM2HSB
Bryan Shaw Custom Acoustic
1974 Alvarez Yairi DY77
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: