.13s on a Fender Squire, possible tremelo bar issues?

Started by jambrose, November 08, 2005, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last week I was trying a heavier gauge of strings for a Fender Squire I have.

After putting on the heavier gauge strings, specifically D'Addario XL .013-.056 nickel wound Jazz Medium gauge set, during tuning I noticed the tremelo bridge-bar really pulling forward what to me seemed excessive, but I don't really know. Does anyone have any experience with heavier strings on this make of guitar?

Seems like these shouldn't be too heavy and the tension should not be too great, but with the way the tremelo action was really pulling forward, thought I'd just kick it around a bit.

Thanks,

^_^
Joe
D-03
L-03

Oh yeah, even a set one guage higher will throw a Strat's trem outta whack!!!
Take off the back plate and expose the springs. Tighten the claw that's screwed into the body till the bridge goes back where you like it.
LOOSEN THE STRINGS FIRST!!!!!
I use 0.10's om my strat and don't use the trem arm. I tighten the bridge down as far as it can go so it's almost like a hardtail.
Ian
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

You'll need to either add a spring to the unit and also screw the claw in some more.? is this a 2 point trem or a 6 screw trem?If you need help call me 10-6 EST at the shop.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

13s on a Squier!!  Is there some reason why you want such heavy cables on a guitar that is designed to work best with 8s to 11s?  Even if you adjust the trem to take them, you will be putting some serious pull on the neck that will likely eventually result in its bowing up on you making the action on the fretboard uncomfortably high.

That's what I was hoping, that either adjusting the screws, claws, and getting it to behave almost like a fixed bridge. My apologies for posting then not following up,...let me count the time I've needed to spend at work this week.....whew, I'm glad it's Friday! I might give you a call Unclrb.

Tx,

Joe

[attachment no longer available]
Joe
D-03
L-03

The rear..

[attachment no longer available]
Joe
D-03
L-03

Is either adding a spring, and/or tightening the screws, or "blocking" or securing the tremelo ever done? It seems like I've read about "blocking" a trem into a perm position...but I'm just learning as we go.

Thanks!

Joe
Joe
D-03
L-03

Blocking is done a lot.Clapton has his bridge blocked.If your trying to loose the vibrato fully spring the bridge.To block it also I use a piece of mahogany sanded to fit very snuggly,then replace the trem cover.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on November 11, 2005, 08:43:14 PM
Blocking is done a lot.Clapton has his bridge blocked.If your trying to loose the vibrato fully spring the bridge.To block it also I use a piece of mahogany sanded to fit very snuggly,then replace the trem cover.

Thanks unclrob. That sounds like a good method. I was thinking, would it be harmful to the tone to install some type of material to block the trem.....and your answer of using mahogany sounds (no pun intended.....really) like the answer.
I recall reading somewhere that Clapton blocked his, now that you mention it.

A question though,...where does one get a block of mahogany?

Thanks!

Joe
Joe
D-03
L-03

A wood store might have some.I got a piece of that was ment for a floor 4" wide and 1/2" thick.If you can't find any PM me and I'll send you some.Check with some local wood worker's any piece of hardwood will do.I have a guy who brings me scraps of all sorts of wood.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks for the guidance. I'll look around here at the wood stores and furniture repair stores, etc. I guess Lowes might even have....
Any special blades for a jig or skil saw? or does it cut OK with average blades. I've got a paneling blade, fine teeth, and medium teeth blades.

Tx,

Joe

Joe
D-03
L-03

Saw!!!! I just use my belt sander.

A med tooth blade shoud do it.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying