how best would a person go about getting into guitar building?

Started by Caleb, November 17, 2005, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

was talking to a buddy last night and he thinks he might want to go into guitar building. i wasnt really sure what to tell him, other than finding someone to apprentice under would be ideal. i told him i remember seeing some ads in the back of guitar mags for guitar building schools and stuff like that. not sure how good, if at all, these are.

this guy is 19, so right now would be the best time if he had to relocate. plus, being young with no responsiblities beyond feeding and clothing yourself is the best time of your life to start new things.

anyway, any advice i might be able to pass onto my young friend would be great appreciated.

thank you all.

Consider the first few years "going to school", i.e. he is going to spend more than he earns.

When he can build a better guitar than Larrivee/Taylor/Martin, and sell it much cheaper than they do, he will begin to see the light.

As his quality improves and he can increase his prices he will begin to earn a meager living.

When he can show his guitars at a show like Healdsburg and actually get some orders he will be able to feed a family.

After 30 years of hard work, dedication to his craft, a bit of luck and a few good endorsements he will be able to earn a decent (mid-class) salary.

If none of the above scares him, and he is insanely passionate about the instrument, he may make it. If this doesn't sound like a good plan to him perhaps he should see if the Post Office is hiring.

MHO (experience is a cruel teacher :SHK>)
Ron

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on November 17, 2005, 08:53:53 AM
anyway, any advice i might be able to pass onto my young friend would be great appreciated.

Find a rich woman and marry her.  ^_^

Actually, there are several places he can look for information.

There is the Official Luthier's Forum on the Internet

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/default2.asp

Two associations are:

The Association of Strings Instrument Artisans (ASIA)
http://www.guitarmaker.org/

and

The Guild of American Luthiers

http://www.luth.org/

I am the editor of Guitarmaker Magazine, the ASIA publication. If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a copy of our latest issue to give to him.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on November 17, 2005, 09:37:09 AM
Find a rich woman and marry her.  ^_^

Actually, there are several places he can look for information.

There is the Official Luthier's Forum on the Internet

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/default2.asp

Two associations are:

The Association of Strings Instrument Artisans (ASIA)
http://www.guitarmaker.org/

and

The Guild of American Luthiers

http://www.luth.org/

I am the editor of Guitarmaker Magazine, the ASIA publication. If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a copy of our latest issue to give to him.

Jim
pm sent. thank you. and thank you for those links. very, very helpful.

When the luthier won the Powerball Jackpot, he was asked what he planned to do.  He said he thought he would just keep making guitars 'til the money ran out. -_-
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

There are a lot of professional repair technicians who do some building as a sideline. They don't have to compete with the big manufacturers or with the small builders to earn enough to pay the mortgage.  They make a pretty good living. If your friend can afford a school and some tools he would find out pretty quickly if he wants to build instruments for a living. Or he could buy some tools and instructional books and build a few guitar kits from Martin, StewMac or other suppliers. He might also consider getting a copy of Acoustic Guitar Magazine and call a few luthiers who advertise there for advise on getting strated. I hope you encourage him to look further into the possibilities. It is difficult to start out but not as impossible as some might lead you to believe.

jimmyd is offering some good advice. Repair and occasional building is a very workable scenario.

Just for the record... My original response was not to put the lifestyle of a Luthier in a negative context. I have the greatest respect and admiration for anyone that follows their heart, regardless of how hard the path may be. I also know that the truly passionate will not be dissuaded by my words.

Ron

In paraphrase Michael Lazar, a retired BANKER turned luthier.  "I dont need money, but the prices of my guitars reflect what a craftsman would get paid at 17.50 an hour (that's in canadian dollars)."  And his guitars still run for about 4500 dollars to start.

So basically unless you have money already or you would die if you dont make guitars, I think  another proffession is much more appropriate.  Not to mention there are several thousand custom makers out there that are "passionate" with whom you have to compete with.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Theres a school in Az. I thinks it called Roberto-Ven.Thers also a repair and building school I think in Mich. called the Redwing school,they also teach brass and woodwind repair.
As a repairman I make enough to tell care of things but I'm glad my wife works and that I've saved a bunch of ducketts from my giging days.I'm thinking of giging again to help out more.
Its not an easy way to make a living but as long as you keep the passion and you don't go insane,well change to you enjoy a lot of insanity in your life its a Great living.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

How to get into a guitar building? What kind of security do they have. A little plastique will take care of most locks, though.

^_^ :wacko:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 18, 2005, 09:22:28 AM
How to get into a guitar building? What kind of security do they have. A little plastique will take care of most locks, though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ducktrapper you are my hero  :ph34r:
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon