Cleartone strings

Started by 12barBill, November 03, 2005, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone tried the Cleartone strings yet?

Not yet - hoping to buy a set soon.  They must be fairly decent if Larrivee is switching to them...so I'm looking forward to testing them.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

From what I have read all new Larrivee guitars will be sportin' Cleartones.
The Dude abides.

I emailed them about a week ago.  Their sales guy is looking for someone local where I can buy them.  There aren't many people selling them in Canada yet.  Anyone out there want to buy me a set so I can try them?  I'll send the money via Paypal?  I am not a coated string person but they are not supposed to feel coated.  Do they only make them in phosphor bronze?

I've called several stores here in Ottawa and most of them have never even heard of them yet!!

They're going to have to be noticeably better, before I spend more than I already am on Elixers. :SHK>
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )

I broke down and bought two sets today (yikes!); one electric set; one acoustic set...the acoustic set's going on my OM-05 tonight (electric set on my Am. Series Strat); I'll give a report tomorrow (Friday). 

My main comparison will be with UNCOATED strings, since I usually use Martin SP's (been trying out the new 'Fingerstyle" sets) and D'Addario's...

Wow..$17 a set!

I could almost buy 3 sets of Martin Fingerstyles for that.  :huh:

I was sent a set as a sample a while back.I wasn't impressed.They sorta remined me of GHS strings,very high Tenson,a lot of work to play,they lasted about 15 minute's.But what do I know anyway i still don't use coated strings.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I was going to try a set, and still might, but I can get the Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhosphers for $9.99 a set.  They sound great and last just as long as Elixirs, so I can't believe that it would be worth paying 70% more per set.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

No offense, unclrob, but 15 minutes?! 

I put the acoustic set (light gauge; 12-53) on my OM-05 last night, and so far, they sound as good as Martin SPs or D'Addario's when new; we'll see how they hold up.  The coating is not noticable AT ALL on the wound strings (they'll squeek with the best of 'em!); I can just barely detect the coating on the B and E string (or is it just that I know it's there? Honestly, if it was a blind test, I don't know if I could tell...).

The only *negative* thing I've noticed so far is that the low E doesn't sound great when tuned down to D (but with a capo at the second fret, and "dropped D," which is now E, it sounds fine). And the volume is good-but not as good as the medium set I just replaced: both of these observations may just be the string gauge difference. 

The electric set is now on my Strat.  Again, sounds comparable to a new set of D'Addario's or Ernie Ball Slinky's (both of which I use a lot).  Same observations about feel as on the acoustic set.  I'll have to play some more, but I may detect a little volume difference between unwound and wound strings (unwound a bit louder); but this is a common issue with electric strings in general.

I'll give another progress report in a few days-I'll be using the Strat this Sunday for worship.

I play mostly EXPs which are pretty cheap by the case.I have tried the new Elixer PB and like them. I'm put off by the price of cleartones and the Elixers for that matter. The trouble I've found with most coated strings is that the high B and E strings seem to go dead before the wound strings. I wish DAddario would offer EXPs with an extra E&B string.

Whenever I buy a new set of Elixirs (I have the PB's on my L05 now) I purchase an extra high E and B string. It saves going back to the shop.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Mikeymac no offence taken.

But I'll meet you out back of the barn...... :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

unclrob,

Bring yer' six-shooter...I mean yer' six-string...we'll do some pickin' 'n' grinin'!

:mellow: