Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new Son Volt album  (Read 855 times)
rustychicken

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2005, 02:35:08 AM »

dag nabbit!!!  this thing is good!
it's called   Okemah and the Melody of Riot,,,similiar to their first album Trace, but with less
acoustic songs.  this thing is a rocker, and very tight. i like Jay Farrar's (the main guy) solo work also,
but his songwriting seems a little less oblique in the Son Volt format,,,well tighter.
after about 5 listens, i'm really enjoying this cd.

knoxpossum

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:47:37 AM »

Thanks for the head's up.  I'm a fan of Son Volt, but have not bought this CD yet.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 03:12:01 AM »

Someone was raving about that one on another site I hang out at.  Sounds like it's worth checking out.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:45:19 AM »

I bought it a few weeks back and listen to it regularly.  Excellent tunes, lots of crunchy electric guitars and that last tune, World waits for you, awesome.  I've bought a lot of good stuff lately, not to hijack the thread, but Damien Rice's album"O" and Iron & Wine's Creek Drank the Cradle are two other albums that, along with the new Son Volt, make up a good portion of what I listen to these days.

Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 09:38:48 PM »

It's interesting that you all bring this up right now. I recently bought Uncle Tupelo's "March 16-20, 1992" album and listen to it a lot. It's really the first complete UT album I've bought. A friend of mine made me a compilation tape of their stuff some years ago.
It's very interesting how two great bands evolved out of UT.
--Fred
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 12:48:05 AM »

i've got Uncle Tupelo's  Anodyne album, which is very good. don't have all of it.
it is pretty cool how 2 separate, distinctive, and strong bands came from that UT. i like Son Volt and Wilco
for different reasons,,,have to give Wilco the main nod.  i thought their first album was very mediocre, while Being There was great!  my fav's are Wilco's last three albums,,,like that experimental noodly stuff better for some reason.
Son Volt's first album is killer, probably still the best.  Jay Farrar's lyrics are really interesting,,sort of vague, or veiled, and making sense at the same time. great stuff, yes indeedy...

Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 10:58:45 AM »

I just dowloaded the new Son Volt over the weekend and agree with the reviews here. Man, it is nice to get an album that is strong throughout and not padded with fluff.
Thanks for the tip on this one... ^_^
Fred
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 04:56:49 PM »

I just dowloaded the new Son Volt over the weekend
Fred

Fully paid for, I hope.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 05:51:12 PM »

Are you kidding?  I'm liking the i-Pod a lot. It took a while to get used to it, but I like it. I'm still buying some CD's, but once you get on the I-Tunes site the $9.99 price is hard to resist!! Plus, I'll never fill it up!
I did just buy the My Morning Jacket CD with the Sony Theft Guard on it. Wow, that is one intelligent CD!! ^_^
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: