a thread for praising Taylors!

Started by Caleb, October 25, 2005, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems a little on both sides to me... a little ribbing for fun combined with some oversensitivity from Taylor owners.  :WNK>

Personally I've owned both, own neither now, and might own either one again any day now.  :GRN>

I like Taylors for their consistency and Larrivees for their soul.

~David MacNeill
~ David MacNeill
Recovering Guitar Hero

Quote from: jimmyd on October 26, 2005, 02:23:21 PM
The headstock doubles as a cutting board for that real smelly canadian cheese I get at christmas.
^_^

Quote from: JasonA on October 26, 2005, 02:55:55 PM

Personally I've owned both, own neither now, and might own either one again any day now.  :GRN>

Jason,

I'm in the same boat. I've had both, but own neither at the present time.
play4Him

( @ )===:::

....... The Main Event..........

DuckTrapper Vs Roman!!!  4 rounds!!!   No holds barred!!!   (or is it no bars held?)

Click here for tickets: http://tickets.webtickets.com/LiveTicketDetail.asp?EventID=409920

If 4 rounds aren't enough, I'll by a fifth and pass it around....  :GRN>

David

(Taylor Guitars! Shutting more Cakeholes since 1979!)  that was hilarious, I have to admit.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I dont think people really are slamming Taylors, they are as good guitars are both larrivee and martins, and many other out there.  I think the biggest problems people are haveing with them is the fact that they are significantly more expensive for the same trime level.

On a side note, while I dont have anything bad to say about Taylors, they are excellent guitars, they are very weak in on the pricing of their guitars.  Their price seems to be an artifact of their marketing strategy.  There is nothing wrong with it, but I think I'd like them much better if they didn't pay so much for artists to endorse them, and made them cheaper for a buyer like me.  But then again, I suppose Taylor would be just another guitar company if no one endorsed them.

BTW, I think the 512c and the 612c's are probably the 2 most significant taylors out there.  Nevertheless, maybe I am patriot or maybe I am just cheap, but I think I'll stick with a Larrivee.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Dave send me Tickets for the four rounds'I'll bring the sixth since yor bring the Fifth.

I now try very hard to no say anything bad about any guitar or guitar store. :POL>

I did  a stainless steel refret on a Maple body taylor I don't remember the modal but it was all rite just not the rite one for me.I did love the stainless steel frets.

Sshhus rite me keeping my mouth shut,like that will ever happen. :wacko:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Nothing against the product, but the pricing in Canada is totally out to lunch. Equivalent model is about double that of Larrivee.

When I go in to a shop I usually pick one up and try it, but I have yet to find one that justifies the price. For the prices I see you can buy a lot more guitar, in a few other name brands.

Ron

Quote from: ronmac on October 26, 2005, 04:47:14 PM
Nothing against the product, but the pricing in Canada is totally out to lunch. Equivalent model is about double that of Larrivee.

When I go in to a shop I usually pick one up and try it, but I have yet to find one that justifies the price. For the prices I see you can buy a lot more guitar, in a few other name brands.

I concur.  Larrivees aren't cheap either in Canada ( I know that sounds funny since the 03's are made here but it's true) and yet, compared to Martins and Taylors, for the same specs, you pay a lot less for the Larrivees.   

I like 'em both. But with Larrivee, I can be satisfied with an x-03, and own an 09 and a 10. I've found one Taylor 355 and one Taylor 414 that I really liked. I'm usually not happy with a Taylor until I get up into the 600 or 700 series. I do love my K12 tho! Seems that there are a lot more Larrivees that I'd like to own.
Dan
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

design-wise, Taylor is awesome, hands down.
From the pickguard to the headstock, I think Taylor's modern, yet unique style gives them the leg up when it comes to performance guitars.

I was sitting around trying to design a headstock the other day, and I realized that Taylor's is really cool! I wonder how they came up with it.  I remember reading how Garrison guitars spend hours and days trying to design a unique headstock...didn't come close to Taylor's...

Finally, I can say that Taylor does use very interesting back/side wood for their guitars in terms of grain and appearance.  I remember this one sick cocobolo guitar that had two tones and everything.
Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode

Design is a very subjective thing, so are taste (which is a metaphore in it self).

But I do agree with you on the fact that taylors are very modern looking.  The curvature of the lines are elegant, and feminem (I guess it's a good thing if you are guy, or not lol).  But then again, they are just all interpretations limited by our language.  The older headstock of Taylors are a bit less curvacious, and the modern interepretations are just an evolution.  Another area Taylors are strong on are their inlays, lots of variation, the "cindy" is particularly pleasing.

If I may be to bold to compare guitars to people, the Martins (and the larrivee traditionals) are extremely "macho" looking guitars.  The chiseled headstock and squared shoulders (D and OM's) only add to that notion.  Followed by the Goodalls, which are a big more refined, yet loose a bit of bruteness.  Both Taylor and Breedlove tend to evoke feminemity (I can't spell :(), their appearance suggest much more sensualness, especially the breeloves.  Larrivee's sits somewhere in between really, yet it's hard for me to categorize it, even if categories are just artifacts of our stereotypes.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Nice guitars! Especially the 314 and any of their 12 strings.

If you haven't had a chance to hold and play a T5... DON'T!!!! Unless you have the cash to pay for it because you won't want to let it go!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Reasons why taylors suck:

1) 7/10 taylors I've ever played had a crack in the wood, because they require an overly  "sensitive" environment.

2)They lack bass and substance(except for there jumbos, duh)

3)I could buy 2 sweet larrivees for the price of one medicore taylor

And last but not least...

4)Guitar center reps and employees rave about them!

Ignorant statements from an uninformed/no experience "individual" . . . real mature and so fabricated.  I would guess once one grows up these kind of childish responsed will no longer happen.

Grow up kid and enjoy the music . . .
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

wonder why taylor guitars is such an emotional subject?

The primary reason that there is so much criticism of Taylor here is that this is the Larrivée Forum.  There is automatically an inherent bias against brands other than Larrivée (with plenty of exceptions, of course).  The other reason has already been stated in this thread numerous times...and that is that Taylor guitars (while good instruments) are overpriced for what you get...not that you couldn't also say that about a few other companies...it's just that Taylor is the biggest target for this type of criticism.

But I'm not criticizing the decision to start the thread.  I've enjoyed reading it for the numerous positives that have been mentioned (and of course also for the hilarious comments that have been made).
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

I could say that nothing I said amounts to anything like bashing. Re-read if you like. I suppose I could say that they're nice guitars or definitely an option but obviously T***** owners are so overly sensitive I JUST CAN'T RESIST. Who hasn't heard me say that Larrivées are made from used hockey sticks btw? If we can take a little ribbing and make fun of our own guitars, what's with the T***** clan?   

Taylor Guitars! Getting More Shorts in a Knot since 1857!

Taylor Guitars! Allowing More Yuppies to Pretend to be Guitar Players Since 1705! 

Taylor Guitars! Not Just for Chicks! Really!

Taylor! Not just a little girl's name!

What irony. Two Taylor threads get more response than any Larrivee or other guitar thread. I thought this one was pretty funny.  The old"I'm Right and I Know It "syndrome. Seeing people so emotionally invested in worshiping and in hating  instrument manufacturers is entertaining and  tells a pretty interesting story about us guitar owners.

Ronman, I pictured you crying as you wrote that response.  Taylors suck.  Get over it

Careful youngster, or you'll be sent to your room . . . by the way, who is this "Ronman"?  Apparently the ears aren't the only thing that requires attention with this kid.
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 27, 2005, 08:23:07 AM

Taylor Guitars! Getting More Shorts in a Knot since 1857!

Taylor Guitars! Allowing More Yuppies to Pretend to be Guitar Players Since 1705! 

Taylor Guitars! Not Just for Chicks! Really!

Taylor! Not just a little girl's name!

Duck, Duck, Duck... :GRN>

Write more of these!!!