Why Does Everbody Feel

Started by unclrob, August 05, 2003, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why does everbody feel you can only play finger style on a OM.I play finger style because I got tired of throwing my pick's away.I play on a jumbo Guild both 6 and 12,an Larrivee L and a OM.SO way do people dislike Dread's and other large bodies for finger style????? :unsure:  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

i think it has something to do with string spacing mostly.  i think EVERYTHING sounds better on a dread myself.  i'm not that good of a fingerpicker...but i try on my dreads.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

I only have one guitar (a Tacoma DR20 dread), so I do everything on it.  And everything sounds good.  I would like to have an OM or a GC, but I think the fingerpicking sounds fine on a dread.

I personally love OM's for both fingerstyle and strumming.  I think OM's are great for fingerstyle because they have better balance than dreads and jumbos.  On those larger guitars it feels like the mids are scooped, that there isn't as much complexity behind notes because of that.  Also, I find the smaller soundboard to be more responsive to my touch, with a  more immediate presence.  However, I can't quite get used to the boxy sound of 00 or parlour guitars, so the OM is the prefect balance for me.  For strumming I can understand how people want clarity of sparkling highs and lots of bass presence, but I presonally like the thick sound of a strummed OM, mushy with overtones!

Thanks everyone just wondering why all the rush for OM's
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

for me it`s less of a wrastlin` match with the smaller bodies. My Lakewood is perfect for finger style and strumming. But I have a long way to go on perfecting my fingers style.

I don't know,I've always just adjusted my attack for each guitar.You know how when you pickup someone else guitar you play differently.As for tone and balance I guess that falls under the first part, I've been lucky I can get what I like out of almost any guitar.

I work as a repair person and I handle a lot of guitars and people come in and say there guitar buzzes and I can play without it buzzing
[it's very hard to get owners to play for me for what ever reason so please play your guitar for the guy who's going to fix it]I think what I'm trying to say is I don't see a reason to limit you palete,each guitar has a voice of it's own and the same tune played on a bunch of guitars and it takes you to a different place <_<  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

if I expand my guitar palette any more, my wife may take a contract out on me.
Lakewood M size
Morris dred... mij
Morris S-61
Larrivee OM-01
Larrivee OM Lite
Yamaha LL 33 J all solid
won`t even go into electrics...

Just tell her it's better than owning stock and you can enjoy both the sound and the looks.If that doesn't work do what afriend of mine does,sneak them in B)  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

how do you think I got my handle?
For electrics when I buy one that resembles something I already have, no problem. When I buy a new color....  I play it incognito for awhile, eventually bringing it out    .... what, you mean this old thing?... had it for some time now.
I think I`m gonna go to hell ya know.

Hell ain't that bad I hear they like guitar players their.I also think that they let you take your collection for a fee. :P  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Hola, Unclrob!  I love my Martin D-19 and it was my go to guitar for 12 years.  I bought the OM09 'cause a ruptured disk in my middleaged neck was giving my right arm fits.  I thought a smaller size instrument would help -- and it did!

I soon discovered the real joy of playing with a wider fretboard, not to mention the sweet sound of the OM.  Don't get me wrong.  I still play the Martin alot.  But for an extended session, the OM is the choice.  Not to mention the electronics are fantastic on the OM, and I never wanted to retrofit the Martin, so always wound up using a microphone.

Now that I have the luxury of owning two fine instruments, I chose to mostly fingerpick on the OM and mostly strum the Martin.