Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building My First...  (Read 1127 times)
Bryan

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2004, 05:03:22 PM »

Well, I'm about to start building my first guitar.  After lots of thought, I decided on a OO slothead, 12 frets to the body. 24.5" scale (could end up 24.9"), 1 3/4" nut, unstained ebony fretboard (bound) ebony peghead veneer. Bordered abalone rosette (one ring).  Pyramid bridge, not sure yet about body binding but maybe ivoroid.  I have some bearclaw sitka available from a friend, and another friend who has a whole bunch of local (red, adirondack)spruce sets.  Not sure yet which way that'll go.  And last but not least, honduran mahogany sides and back from a beautiful dense pattern grade plank I put aside five years ago when I was building a custom door.  It's a corker, and has enough material for four guitars.  Anybody got any ideas regarding details?  I'll post pic's as I  go along, this could take a while.  Second one may be curly maple; man oh man do I have a board waiting for that!

Larrivee OM-09
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 04:40:15 AM »

You are very ambitious Bryan. I admire you. Keep us posted on the progress and good luck. Sounds like it will be a beauty.

Bryan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »

Ok a little update.  I'm definitely using adirondack spruce.  Oh yeah, I figured I might as well build two while I was at it, so the second one is going to be cocobolo.  Cocobolo is a true rosewood and is really gorgeous, and I have access to it locally so I can pick out a plank for what a set would cost from a tonewood supplier (two to four guitar's worth).  This will be great because I'll build them exactly the same and be able to compare them directly before deciding which one I keep! I sawed the mahogany out yesterday.  I'm a woodworker by the way, so I have lots of machinery to facilitate the process.

Larrivee OM-09
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 07:07:12 PM »

Will the shape be similar to the Larrivee 00's? Gosh, what a comfortable body style.

Best of luck....I'll be interested in updates throughout!

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
Bryan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 02:58:36 AM »

Yes Giggler it will be similar, but the body shape will be more like this  http://www.guitaradoptions.com/prodcat/cus...7756&cat=&page=
with some influences from this http://froggybottomguitars.com/Guitars/A/A.html
But my starting points for the scale and bracing will be the Larrivee.  The Northwood really has a subtle, voluptuous organic shape copied from a prewar Martin.  That shape just knocks me out (gee I wonder why...).  The Froggy Bottom is a bit wider (3/8'') and deeper (3/16") than the Martin, but I think I would do well to pay attention to anything Michael Millard does.  It was gazing up at one of his Froggy's on the wall of our local shop two months ago that made my knees buckle and started me burning to do this.
BTW the mahogany and the red spruce are out.  I spent a couple of hours looking at cocobolo and sitka spruce today, and wait till you see the wood my buddy had!  So cocobolo it is! (well, unless I find some nice Madagascar rosewood first :huh: )....

Larrivee OM-09
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: