Keyboard amp for Acoustic?

Started by kdonovan, October 09, 2005, 07:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was just wondering if it's ok to play acoustic through a keyboard amp or if anyone else is doing this. I bought a Crate kx-220 keyboard amp at an estate sale for next to nothing. For giggles I tried my acoustic through it and I gotta tell ya this thing rocks.  Anybody else tried acoustic  on a keyboard amp?

Cheers
kdonovan
kdonovan

I know a few people using keyboard amps for acoustic guitar.I don't know about the Crate but I don't see a problem with it.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Keyboard amps make great acoustic amps. They have a very wide frequency range and quite often have better dispersion characteristics than a regular "acoustic" amp. The only thing I would watch for, if you are out sampling a few different models, is the type of horn used for the mid/high frequencies. A poorly matched horn may cause some "honking" in the 1.5 to 2.5 khz range.

I used a Yorkville KB200 (200 watt) as an acoustic amp for small shows for a couple of years. I used a Mackie 1202VLZPro to patch 2 mics and 2 instruments out to the Yorkville. It sounded good. The only downside was the weight.

A general rule of thumb: if you the human voice sounds good through an amp, an acoustic guitar will as well.

Congrats on the find.
Ron

I remember that John McEuen of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band recommended using a Peavey Keyboard Amp for the plethora of amplified acoustic instruments that he would play in concert (fiddle, banjo, mandolin, acoustic guitar, dobro, who knows what all ... ). I heard him with them twice and they sounded great. Don't know if he was using one those times.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Thanks guys for the response. This amp is 160 watts with 4 channels, 8 band eq,xlr input and a 15" speaker w/tweeter. I am getting some tones with this thing that I never could out of the acoustisonic.   I guess the only downside is like ronmac said is the weight. oh well.   Thanks again

kdonovan
kdonovan