Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood selection for parlor guitar  (Read 658 times)
leftybill

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:34:20 AM »

Hey, any imput for wood choices on a parlor larivee?  I have a rosewood LV-09 at present so I am considering either mahogony or maple.  There are not many dealers in my area so it may be hard to find one to listen to, and since I am a lefty it will be a custom order.
thanks
kilgorekid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:03:20 AM »

I had never owned a mahogany back/sides guitar prior to this year.  Now, I have two and they are great!  Mahagony is a warm sounding wood that resonates all over the room.  Try it out and see what you think.  Good luck in the quest.
Bill

Collings OM2HSB
Bryan Shaw Custom Acoustic
1974 Alvarez Yairi DY77
saintandsinnerguy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 01:59:41 AM »

Hey lefty....I now have both of those woods in satin parlor.  They are both  very unique in their own ways.  Maple  just sparkles and has  tons of separation of notes and  a little brighter...........mahog has warmth and good separation as well.   Can't go wrong in either.

Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"
Lefty Guy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 10:42:17 AM »

I have a lefty Mahogony Parlor on order. I tried a koa one which I did not like & listened to the salesman play a righty rosewood which was much better to my ears. Couldn't find a mahogony to play/listen to but have gone for it on "expert" advise about its better overall tone for its size.

2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »

I've owned a walnut Parlor, rosewood Parlor and all-mahogany Parlor and much prefer the all-mahogany version.

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 11:06:13 PM »

I have had two walnut parlors, one mahogany, and

ALSO find my all mahogany mahogany top parlor to be head and shoulders above any other parlor I have owned and far better than any other parlor I have ever tried.  Beautiful, super rich, great volume and sustain...

Unfortunately, I am soon going to have to be putting it up for sale to pay for a custom order guitar..

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 01:55:31 AM »

Mahogany top is the only parlor I have ever owned and I could not be more happy.  I have played one maple, 4-5 rosewood and 4-5 other mahogany parlors.  I consistently found that i preferred the mahogany.  That's not to say I don't like other woods.  In larger bodied guitars I favor rosewood.

-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
leftybill

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:03:38 AM »

Guys, is there a place that you would recommend for ordering a Larivee parlor guitar?
Lefty Guy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 11:27:43 AM »

Bill, Are you UK-based like me? Is so I can heartily recommend you call Brian at Wunjo Guitars at 55 St Giles High St London WC2 (+44 20 7379 0737). He was very helpful & gave me a good deal on my Tanglewood as a PX as well.

2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
rpg51

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »

I shopped recently for a parlour and played a lot of them.  I consistantly preferred the mahog body versions - by a good margin.  I never played a mahog top, only spruce.  At one shop I played several examples of rosewood and mahog and to me the mahog was consistantly and clearly the best.  I don't usually say this either.  In other guitars I like all sorts of wood.  But in these parlours the mahog was by far the better guitar - in my opinion.  The rosewoods I played sounded dead.  The mahog sounded alive.  Also, I find medium strings is the way to go. The scale length is so short that they play softer than lights on a "normal" scale guitar - but they give the guitar more power and volume in all the registers.

Rob

Bourgeois JOM Cedar
Bourgeois Vintage OM
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1916)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: