What did you think about the Dylan Doc on PBS?

Started by tubeornot2b, September 28, 2005, 11:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just scurious what thoughts people have about the Dylan Documentary by Scorsese on PBS.

I loved it, even though I had my doubts about Scorsese and his penchant for uncritical hero-worship (as evidenced in The Last Waltz and mercilessly satirized in Spinal Tap).  But he did a great job, even though Dylan experts might quarrel that certain people (Ramblin' Jack Elliott) and events were left out.  But I've read a lot about Dylan and I thought it was mostly detailed and accurate.  For example, it certainly pulled no punches about telling the story of Dylan "borrowing" hundreds of Tony Glover's rare records.

I actually couldn't even wait for the broadcast.  I bought the DVD and watched it over the weekend.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

glad you asked.  1st impressions:

been drinking the dylan cool aid for a long time so I was plenty pre-disposed to liking it, especially since I also think many of scorsese's (SP?) films are great.  found it exceded expectations.  missed the 1st 10 minutes each nite but was glued to it both monday and tuesday.  compelling.  liked the concept of focusing on just a part of his life and music (the most interesting part?).  also liked that it was almost as much about the music and its place in the grander scheme of things at the time rather than just about dylan.  gave insight into other luminaries of the time as well without being a "kiss and tell". 

had great clips and interviews that were put together to tell a great story.  the fact that there was almost nothing new - older interviews, vids that had been seen before in less effective venues, etc., was also a credit. 

I found it moved along so well I didn't feel robbed when I didn't get to see a whole performance or interview, but was taken along for the ride as designed.  that was great since there were incredible performances I would have liked to see all the way through (and now want to see more than ever).

another nice thing to me was that it didn't try to make dylan or his story bigger than life like even many of my favorite documentaries (ken burns baseball, civil war, jazz) tend to do.  one thing dylan himself did in his interviews that helped that was speak in an "everyday voice".  he appeared much more as a person in these interviews than the characature I found him to be on 60 minutes where he seemed to be uncomfortable and putting on airs.

great to see and hear the interviews with dave van ronk, maria muldaur (how much fun was the clip of her singing in the Village in the mid 60s?), baez, seeger, and especially ginsberg.  plenty of the others contributers were also tremendous. 

finally, the music and clips were, for the most part, just off the charts!  maybe seeing and hearing it together added a new dimension, but I thought some of it was almost like hearing it again for the 1st time.  I was jazzed each nite to the point where I had to get out dylan books and my guitar and butcher a bunch of his songs in my own inimitable style.

will buy the dvd and soundtrack as soon as it is available as a giveaway as part of a public tv fundraiser.  hope folks enjoyed it even half as much as I did.

jeff

"its so hard to tune when their booing"
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

this subject generated a lot of interest at UMGF (martin guitar forum).  if you haven't been there, there are lots of comments and observations on the show under General Music Topics.  a good read.

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

This exceeded my expectations as well. I will probably buy it. I found myself glued to it.
Sure, the Dylan footage is amazing. But, the other characters that are just names in Dylan's
book "Chronicles" come to life in this film.
Personally, I doubt anyone could have tackled this project except someone like Scorsese.
--Fred

bought it,,,love it. :ph34r:  really inspiring and well put together. ol' Bob can say a sentence and have you thinking on something for a week. made me rethink allen Ginsburg too.  and i loved that John Jacob Niles guy, man that was ethereal!!  as a visual artist who sometimes wonders what's the point,,,this really helped me focus on the art and inspiration.  a good buy.