Good DI For K&K Pure Western?

Started by HangFire, September 24, 2005, 10:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not really sure if I should go with DI or just buy any amp but may as well get some imput from some of the forum experts! :GRN>
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

When I got my K & K I ordered a Baggs PARA DI. It works great.

The PADI developed a problem and I sent it for repair. I had to use the K & K straight into the PA.

It sounded great!

Try without first - you may not need more.

Ultrasound PDI gets my nod  :mellow: I've tested it here in my house and sounds good. I have not had the chance tor try it out at church yet but so far I like it.

I even tried my Tele and strat through it and liked the results. It was like hearing the guitars through a small amp  :GRN> All I can say is good job Doc. :GRN> :mellow:

Hi Hang,

I've got lots of exeperience with these: Fishman's Pro EQ Platinum, Baggs PADI, and K&K Pure Preamp. 

My ratings:

• Fishman ProEQ Plat - Easiest to use and versatile unit, excellent at controlling feedback, but colors the sound the most which is why I sold it.
  • Baggs PADI - Doesn't always control feedback (notch is not really a notch - its a wide cut and only cuts 8 db), but otherwise a good unit.  Pretty clean, but colors signal more than K&K Pure. Has external gain control.
  • K&K Pure - Cleanest and most pure sounding.  Very well designed EQ controls, very well matched for K&K pickups. Occasionally (1 out of 5 shows) I'll need to swap it out for the Baggs to handle room problems.   K&K is always my first pick, though. Gain control is inside the unit.

Hope this helps,
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I will be using the Fishman Pro-EQ platinum DI box......but my previous experience the DI sounded big thru the main.
Larrivee C-03RE 97' (fishman stereo blender)
Trace acoustic amp TA50R
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum
Samson airline UHF guitar wireless system
Max Lucado Devotional Bible

I also use Ultrasound PDI with my K&K pickup.  I am quite pleased with the sound.  I use this setup mainly for church worship.  Haven't had any problems.
Larrivee 12 Fret OM-03 Forum Guitar
Walden T550 Travel Guitar
Psalms 96 "For the LORD is great, greatly to be praised"