Incorrectly installed truss rod?

Started by leftys-bbq, September 24, 2005, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HI all,

I'm new to posting to this list, tough I'm not new to owner Larrivee guitars. I've owned a few over the years and appreciate them. Though, I'm new to having one with the B-Band system, and neck problems.

I just received an LV-09E from Metronome Music.

I got the guitar in and opened it up and right away noticed the A and low E strings have some buzz when fretted around the 3rd-5th fret. Really doesn't happen further up the neck. Action is very nice up the neck. Could likely be a little higher, but I do like the feel.

I sighted down the neck and it looked like the neck could use a touch of relief, figuring a little bit would ease up on the buzz since it's only happening on the lower fretts.

I go to loosen the truss rod a touch (counter clockwise), and I notice there is NO resistance. The truss rod is completely loose, meaning no way to ease any relief into the neck.

This seems wrong to me. There should be adjustability in both ways.

I talked to a local tech and he told me that's definately a problem from the factory.

Any thoughts on this? I really don't want to get into one of those several month long ship and return repair evolutions I've read about on this forum.

Oh, yeah, this guitar also has the hot b-string issue with the B-Band UST.

I really like the sound of the guitar, but I don't want long term problems (the neck/truss rod issue concerns me!), and I really don't want to have to mess around a lot with a pickup string balance issue on a brand new guitar!

I read a thread about this a few weeks back, a few of you agreed with the dissatisfied buy, some of you really blasted him assuring him that Larrivee would get the problem resolved. I'm sure they will, but it blows hard to buy a brand new guitar and have to go through that hassle.

I wonder if mine is a second?!

I'd appreciate any input from those with experience in these matters.

Thanks,

Paul

trying heavier strings might solve the problem but if it doesnt...or if you dont want to try heavier strings...then id say return it on warrantee.

Quote from: Frets on September 24, 2005, 10:55:07 PM
trying heavier strings might solve the problem but if it doesnt...or if you dont want to try heavier strings...then id say return it on warrantee.

That's the first thing I thought too. String it with 13's (mediums). But then I thought, I shouldn't have to string this guitar with 13's.

I'm mainly wanting a sanity check. I believe this indicates a problem that one wouldn't be wise to try to proceed long term with (even though I may be able to "work around" it with heavier strings, or taller saddle, etc.

i discussed the Larrivee truss rod system with someone at Larrivee and what he told me is, larrivee uses single action truss rods, not double action.  meaning they can only be adjusted to counter forward neck bending such as when string tension pulls the neck upward over time.  if your neck is straight there won't be tension on the rod so losening the nut won't do anything other than possibly unscrewing to nut off the rod.  personally i would prefer double action truss rods to give you forward and backward bending control but i don't know nearly enough about these issues to really understand what is the best way to do things.

my parlor had some string buzzing issues and a flat neck so i was told to try med strings which the parlor sound better with anyway.  now my parlors neck has good neck relief though given more time i hope to get slightly more.  anyway the buzzing is not a problem anymore.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Hi Paul,

Have you had your guitar back to your dealer? A tech should be able to diagnose your problem very easily.

The cause of your problem may not be a relief issue. It's possible that the saddle is not cut properly and may need to go a bit higher.

The important issue here is to get a guitar that fits you and sounds good. The best way to achieve that is to have it assessed and adjusted by a competent repair person. It can make all the difference in the world.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on September 25, 2005, 05:49:30 AM
Hi Paul,

Have you had your guitar back to your dealer? A tech should be able to diagnose your problem very easily.

The cause of your problem may not be a relief issue. It's possible that the saddle is not cut properly and may need to go a bit higher.

The important issue here is to get a guitar that fits you and sounds good. The best way to achieve that is to have it assessed and adjusted by a competent repair person. It can make all the difference in the world.

Hi Ronmac.

I know what you're saying and I agree. I HAVE had a tech I know look into this and he says it's abnormal. But then based on what Poki said, my tech could be wrong! We don't have a good Larrivee tech around here. The guitar was bought online too. I may send it back, but still discussing that with the store.

BTW, though I don't do it for hire, I am a "competent repair person" myself. I've cut bone saddles, I've installed pickup systems, I do my own setups on most of my guitars.

I've already assessed this guitar could use a touch more saddle hight...JUST a touch though. The neck relief issue though is a bit disconcerting. Seems like a guitar should have enough string tension to pull the neck a little further out with no adjusting tension on the truss rod!

What Poki said seems to explain that. If that's in fact the reality, then I can live with that. I just want to make sure there's not a problem with my specific guitar.

But, hey, that could be part of the charm of Larrivee :)

Paul

Yeah I also agree with letting the dealer have it back and a tech look at it. You should not even be hassled with the thought of a repair. Sure Larrivee will always take wonderful care after the sale but I wouldn't go that route if I had a brand new one with a potential issue. My last Larrivee buzzed for 2-3 days and now is flawless so I know some are okay after being under tension a few days. BUT don't fool with it a whole lot. This is what dealers are supposed to be there for. To filter you from this stuff BEFORE you get the guitar. Not after.
Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

Quote from: LittleBrother on September 25, 2005, 09:44:07 AM
Yeah I also agree with letting the dealer have it back and a tech look at it. You should not even be hassled with the thought of a repair. Sure Larrivee will always take wonderful care after the sale but I wouldn't go that route if I had a brand new one with a potential issue. My last Larrivee buzzed for 2-3 days and now is flawless so I know some are okay after being under tension a few days. BUT don't fool with it a whole lot. This is what dealers are supposed to be there for. To filter you from this stuff BEFORE you get the guitar. Not after.

And THEN, there's the hot b-string issue!

Paul

Please do yourself a favour and take it back to the dealer you purchased it from. I'm assuming -- hoping -- that your dealer has a refund/exchange policy that you can live with. I'm not an expert, but there's no way anyone should have to string with mediums to offset what seems to be a relief issue.

But skip the warranty return bit altogether. Have your dealer take care of it. Get a new box. Be happy.

Hi Paul,

I am not a technical expert and I only own one Larrivee but I have had the opportunity to play a lot of Larrivee's in my local guitar shops.  Here in Vancouver, B.C., the local guitar shops all carry the full line of Larrivee guitars.  At least once a week I drop into a guitar shop and try out the acoustics.  Today, Tom Lee music had at least 10 Larrivees kept in a separate humidified room.  All of these guitars were well set up and played perfectly.  It certainly sounds like your guitar needs to go back to Larrivee for some warranty work.  A LV-09 is a beautiful, professional quality instrument and you deserve perfection.