Photo size

Started by prof_stack, July 01, 2005, 10:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love the new look and the ease of putting photos in the threads.

Some of the photos, however, are HUGE, and take a long time to download.  Some other sites that I frequent (not necessarily guitar related) either have a limit on file size (like 40KB) or have a utility that takes the photo and shrinks the pixel size and/or byte size to a reasonable amount for saving space on the server and the time it takes for many folk to see the picture.

Has any consideration been examined for this?

How long did this beauty (100k) take to load for you?

[attachment no longer available]
Play it daily for best results.

Okay, now I resized the photo to 450x600, which is what this site did to the original 600x800 above.  But the file size is only 42k, less than half. 

So loading time is greatly reduced yet the photos don't look hardly different at all.  I used Photoshop 6.

Oh yeah, that sure is a gawdy looking Martin, doncha think?   :WNK>

It took less than a second.  Cable modems rock!!
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Quote from: prof_stack on July 02, 2005, 12:39:31 AM
Oh yeah, that sure is a gawdy looking Martin, doncha think?   :WNK>
Now, now. I was thinkin' that but wasn't going to say nuthin....But if one just had to have a Martin in their inventory, I bet this one is pretty sweet.
:wacko:
Joe
D-03
L-03

QuoteI bet this one is pretty sweet.

Actually, it was pretty stiff, according to the local Martin shop guy who was in charge of it while it was in town for the bluegrass festival.  This guitar is not made for playing as much as gawking.

QuoteThis guitar is not made for playing as much as gawking.

I can't imagine it sounding any good at all with all that inlay in it. No wood left to vibrate...LOL!
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

Because I'm still slogging along on a dialup, giant photos on web pages (not just forum threads) has long been a kind of pet peeve for me.  OH!  And Emails!  Arrgh!  I had to put a filter on Outlook Ex. to kill those 5 megabyte picture attachments that a couple of my wife's friends are so fond of sending because, besides taking forever to download the emails, it made web surfing almost impossible while they were downloading.

I have a page somewhere in my website that kind of talks about resizing jpg's for website and how to reduce pictures without blurriness.  Looks like you did pretty well on the sample pics at the top of the thread.  The resized one is as sharp as the original.  My site has grown somewhat out of control over the years... here it is.  If you look at the page, be sure and check the site I refer to with the big pictures.  You'll notice quickly what I mean, especially if you're on a dialup.
- Taylor 910-L7 Braz
- Taylor 912c
- Larrivee D-03E
- Yamaha FG170
- 1978 The Paul
- Washburn M1S/TS
Pics

Yeah, there's a couple of things one can do to reduce the photo size.

In Win XP you can right click on most pictures and select "SEND TO" and allow XP to reduce the dimensions and file (byte) size. 

In Photoshop you can select "SAVE FOR WEB" and adjust the jpeg quality to optimize quality and file size.

Or download a free and very nice photo editor called http://www.irfanview.com and use it.  It is small in size, fast, and easy to master. 

Here's the D-100 again with Irfanview saving it at 20% quality for about a 27KB file:

Hmmm.  Looks like it's gotten considerably simpler in ummm... oh... the last few years.  I think I'm a little behind.  Shoot, I was using Windows 3.11 until 1998.  I'll be using Windows 98 probably until this computer goes belly-up.

Funny, I'm a broadcast engineer for a university television facility... when someone asks me when we're going to go digital I usually say we just started broadcasting in color a few years ago!
- Taylor 910-L7 Braz
- Taylor 912c
- Larrivee D-03E
- Yamaha FG170
- 1978 The Paul
- Washburn M1S/TS
Pics

wow very showy kinda guitar from martin.....hmmm overly decorated i would say....nice pic anyhow.
Larrivee C-03RE 97' (fishman stereo blender)
Trace acoustic amp TA50R
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum
Samson airline UHF guitar wireless system
Max Lucado Devotional Bible