ryan adams & the cardinals - cold roses

Started by Caleb, September 14, 2005, 10:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I didn't really care much for his voice, or the songs on this cd. On the other hand, his old singing partner Caitlin Cary, has a lovely voice and an excellent cd, called Begonias. A collaboration with Thad Cockrell. I had never heard of either, when I picked up the disc. Nice tunes, arrangements and voices. I only checked out Adams, after reading of his associations with Cary. I was underwhelmed by his CD.

Isn't it amusing that what is called alternate country these days, is in reality a continuation of "real" or true to it's roots country music, while what passes for country now, comes off more as rock and roll/pop star wannabies.

Quote from: tubeornot2b on November 14, 2005, 11:06:47 AM
Isn't it amusing that what is called alternate country these days, is in reality a continuation of "real" or true to it's roots country music, while what passes for country now, comes off more as rock and roll/pop star wannabies.
exactly. about once a year i venture off and find myself on a country music station...im always sorry too. that stuff is awful. no soul or passion at all. it all sounds so generic and "blah". i really dont see how it has an audience. but, like its equally uninspiring distant relative, known as 'rap', it does.

2b...

I've only heard some clips of the Cary-Cockrell CD, but I thought the voices sounded eerily similar to the old Whiskeytown days.

Do you find any similarities at all?

I've almost bought the thing out of curiousity if nothing else.
JEFF

Martin D-18, OMM, D-15 Custom, D12X1 
Larrivee D-03RE
Blueridge BR-160
Guild D-4
Blonde Mexican Telecaster

Sorry,

But I never got much of a chance to listen to the Whiskeytown stuff much.  Did get to hear some of Adam's solo releases, that is my main reference point for his voice.

I'm surprised this thread has lasted so long without (unless i missed it, in which case i apologize) reference to his new one, Jacksonville City Nights (how many CD's can he put out in a year?  :mellow:)

I like Cold Roses, but this one is even better - although it took me two or three times through to realize that.  Wonder if anyone else agrees . . .

I like Jacksonville City Nights a little better than Cold Roses too, but they're both really good. 

If 2 albums in one year wasn't enough, he has another coming out on Dec. 20th.....

Zach

cold roses is just awesome.  and jacksonville city nights is also quite good - raw, vintage and twangy.

anyone got any opinions on his album 29?

brad

hey i love ryan adams, especially that song "summer of 69" ;-)

don't ever say that to him in his presence, he'll kick yer butt!

my buddies at electric lady in NYC said he used to book the "A" room, just to sit in the lounge with his acoustic and write songs.....i mean, that's a nice lounge and all, but not for $125+ per hour !!!

I agree Jacksonville is also great.  I have not warmed to '29' yet, though I bought it as soon as it was released.  It took a bit for me to get on board with Jacksonville, but I love the whole album.  The collaboration with Norah Jones "Dear John" is an excellent track.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT