Good Electric Amp Under $500

Started by parsky1, August 19, 2005, 01:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need a good electric guitar amp.  Mostly what I am looking for is a very good clean channel, since I will mostly be using my own effects pedals.  I also need the ability to be able to connect it the main speakers and also still have sound come out of the amp without muting the internal speakers (Basically like using it as my own personal monitor). 

I've been looking at Marshall's MG Series, Crate, and Vox.  I can't seem to find any online Mesa Boogie Dealers.  Although I'm not sure if I should go solid state or vacuum tubes.   Any suggestions for feedback would be great!
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

Best choice, bar none (IMNSHO).

A used Music Man Amp. They are usually hybrid amps with solid state front ends and tube power amps, usually E34Ls (that is not a typo). You can get the same basic amp in a variety of speaker configurations and they are cheap. For between $3-500 you can pick up a dual channel amp that puts out between 50-120 legitimate watts with a half power switch that works. They also come in head units.

I have a 65 watt model with 2-10" Weber Chicago speakers. A great amp. It cost me about $300 on Ebay.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

How about you also consider a Traynor - you can get a brand new one for ~500 and it'll be all-tube. I have the YCV50 and it's an unbeatable deal.
Mike
OM-03R

Thanks guys... I'll look into it.

Anyone elses input would be helpful.
99 Fender DG-24 MA

wow dbirchett.  you took the words right out of my mouth.  i have a 1970s (i'm not sure of the exact year i have to look up the SN) HD-130 2x12.  it's all tube, 12AX7 pream and EL34s for the power tubes.  the reverb is awesome, and there's a cool tremelo effect included as well.  mine cost me $275 on ebay, i got it a bit cheaper than usual because it's got some cosmetic trouble (ripped tolex).  but it sounds like a dream, and is very loud with plenty of headroom.  the only con is that it is a very bassy amp, i tend to run a tube screamer with very low volume and no gain with the tone knob all the way up in order to give it a bit more top end.  but overall, an excellent buy.  sounds great if you distort it well.  my only real complaint is no effects loop, but i don't use many effects anyways, so no biggy, right?

Quote from: dbirchett on August 19, 2005, 11:18:22 AM
Best choice, bar none (IMNSHO).

A used Music Man Amp. They are usually hybrid amps with solid state front ends and tube power amps, usually E34Ls (that is not a typo). You can get the same basic amp in a variety of speaker configurations and they are cheap. For between $3-500 you can pick up a dual channel amp that puts out between 50-120 legitimate watts with a half power switch that works. They also come in head units.

I have a 65 watt model with 2-10" Weber Chicago speakers. A great amp. It cost me about $300 on Ebay.
---
'08 Benedetto Bambino
'99 Larrivee Pete Anderson
'77 Les Paul Pro

I can recommend two different amps.

Tech21 Trademark 60. 

Light weight, all analog, very versatile.  It has a speaker emulated, XLR out to connect directly to a PA.  Footswitchable effects loop (so your tone robbing effects can be switched out of the signal chain when you don't need them).  Footswitchable channels and boost/reverb.  Very natural tone.  The amp can be found anywhere used for $350. 

The only downside is that it's sometimes hard to dial in two great tones.  Each channel has it's own mid control but they share the same bass and treble.  If you're using pedals, it's not a problem.  Or you may be able to find two tones you like right on the amp.

Roland Cube 30/60

I jam with someone that uses the Cube 30.  Great sound in a small package. 

I also have a guitar builder friend that has access to many boutique amps.  And he uses them to record.  But when he plays out, he usually uses a Cube 60.  Again, light weight, low maintanance, good tone.

Both the Cube players use the amps for a clean jazz tone.

All three amps should be available almost anywhere (i.e. Guitar Center) to try out.

LeonD

Hi ,guy,I am from China , I have a electric cube  amp. high quality and  low price. but you know I need time to interpret  the spec.

here are some  Helene 20 pics

[attachment no longer available]

pic2

great handbuilder amp

I just got one of these...Carvin Vintage 16

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=VINTAGE16&CID=GA

$400.00 and worth every penny. Dynamite little amp. Im overly impressed!!!
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster

for a great clean tone, you cant go wrong with a crate solid state. inexpensive, versatile, and completely indestructable. you can get one with 1-12" for around $300. 

So did you decide on a new amp yet??? Im just curious!!!  :GRN>
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster

Quote from: leond on August 30, 2005, 10:22:55 AM
... Tech21 Trademark 60. .... can be found anywhere used for $350.  

New at MF with free shipping they are $519,a scant $19 over the budget. Check Ebay under "completed listings".. you'll see them well under $300, some hitting the low $200's. FWIW, Tech just upgraded the speaker on the Power Engine 60 to a Celestion, should hit the stores soon. Tech makes such great stuff, you forget it is s.s.

Ugghhh...AVOID solid state at all costs unless you want the death of your tone....

Stick to tubes.

If you're looking for something with a great clean channel, look for an amp that uses 12ax7's in the preamp and

MOST IMPORTANT EL84's in the power-amp...

the crate vintage tube series usually has these....

But EL84's---the best there is (think Vox)

Quote from: BongoSTL on October 03, 2005, 01:34:49 PM
Ugghhh...AVOID solid state at all costs unless you want the death of your tone....  Stick to tubes.

99% of the time this is true. Tech21 is that 1% exception. Tech21 is alot like Larrivee, easy to pass up.

Quote from: BongoSTL on October 03, 2005, 01:34:49 PM
Ugghhh...AVOID solid state at all costs unless you want the death of your tone....

Stick to tubes.

If you're looking for something with a great clean channel, look for an amp that uses 12ax7's in the preamp and

MOST IMPORTANT EL84's in the power-amp...

the crate vintage tube series usually has these....

But EL84's---the best there is (think Vox)

There are some very nice solid state amps out there, some going way back.

The old Standell solid state amps were great ones. But try to find a working one these days. The Roland chorus amps are very nice and I really like the Fender Princeton Chorus (non-dsp model). The last one should be easy to find well within the price range indicated.

As for tubes, 6V6s are where it is at! Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs and Gibson Falcons. Great Amps! Sweet sounding.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I ended up going with the Vox AD50AVT... its a modeling amp, but has a 12ax7 in the pre amp.  An all tube amp was out of my budget at the moment, considering a spent a good chunk of change on my electric guitar recently.  It got really good customer reviews and it's small enough that I can easily take it somewhere and set up fast.  It also has a dial on the back that lets you adjust the wattage of it from about 0.5 watts to 50 watts, so you can still keep it cranked and get the drive you want out of it when you aren't allowed to play really loud.

Maybe when I get out of school I'll get myself a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Solo 150 Head and a 4x12 cab :SHK> ... and earplugs :TON>! 
99 Fender DG-24 MA

The Tech 21 Trademark 60 is the amp that Les Paul himself has used for the last number of years, so there must be something good about it - even though it is solid state.