Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a Silver Creek 101 Yesterday!!!!  (Read 549 times)
djsonovox

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:30:43 PM »

And it wails and rocks! I am tickled to death! This guitar was only $229 on eBay, and came with a nice thick gig bag by Kases. It is Chinese made, to a design by Abe Wechter.
The triple pickup of Mag, Piezo and Mic together with the controls make it ideal for gigging, solo or in a band.
The solid spruce top with laminate (?) sides provide richness and volume like a Tacoma dread and the sparkel of a Taylor.  The neck is nearly as nice as a Larrivee, but the roughness of the rosewood fretboard needs a bit more crafting to be smooth. Good frets, though.

The maple binding on head, neck and body is very cool. The abalone logo and rosette really add a touch of class. No neck button--I'll add one.

So I am well chuffed, as the Beatles used to say.

These babies are no longer made, thanks to someone's lawsuits, but Musician's Friend has the non-pickup model for $129. Oh, I did not say the neck is primo. Really nice action and feels like butter.

See my review at www.harmony-central.com

And for the flipside, see my pan review blasting the Jumbo 2416 model from the current brand, Maple Lake and the negative experience I had with Sweetwater sound.

Wechter Guitars also has some current dreadnaughts that may be good as this...but their tops seem all to be laminates, so check before you spend.

D Jones
...the pics show the 101 with pickups, and the 100 available still, no pickups.

[attachment no longer available]

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele