Need advice on K&K pickup

Started by RBurton, August 16, 2005, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

Ahhh.  My first post on the Larrivee forum.  I have just purchased a D-03R and am interested in adding a pickup.  I have used the K&K pure westerns (mini and regular) in a number of my Martins (D-18GE - K&K mini pw) and Taylors (regular K&K pw's), and really love the sound I get.  I play in a praise team at my church through a rather impressive PA system, and to date, the K&K's have worked great (no feedback issues).  The question I have is this, which K&K PW (mini or regular) do you guys recommend for the D-03R.  I imagine either will fit the bridgeplate of the D-03R, right?  I was thinking that the mini may be a "safer" bet as far as minimizing the strong bass response from the pure western.  However, I was wondering what you guys think.  I like a lot of bass, but I don't really want to deal with major feeback issues.  My D-18GE puts out a lot of bass, but is no problem with the mini.  However, in the GE's case I had no choice as the regular pure western wouldn't fit the bridgeplate anyway.

That said, I am REALLY EXCITED about my new D-03R, and have really enjoyed reading this forum the past few weeks.  I look forward to talking to you all in the future.

Rich

K&K recommends the mini for Larrivee guitars for the same reason you used the mini in your D-18GE (great guitar, by the way).  Having said that, many people have successfully installed the regular size K&K in their Larrivees.  Personally, I'd go with the mini.

BTW - Welcome to the Larrivee family!  -_-
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

My D-03R + K & K mini + PA = sweet.

Thanks a lot for the fast responses!  I really appreciate it.  Looks like the mini is the way to go.

Rich

Welcome! You'll find a lot of worship leaders and team members here, me included. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a K&K PW Mini for my LV-03R. I currently have a Baggs M1 that I'm having problems with.
For the people with the Mini already:
Is that a recommended professional install or is it DIY?
I read through the installation instructions and it doesn't seem that bad....

LV-03R/LR Baggs M1
Yamaha FG411CE
Fender Gemini II
Epi PR775-12 12 string
Squire Strat

Don't know what most people with the K&K PW do, but the ones who are the most vocal about it have done the install themselves.  Hopefully, we'll hear from some of them in response to your post.

I've considered the K&K for my D-09, but I just don't plug in enough to justify it.  The only thing I would personally have concern about would be drilling the end-hole for the jack.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

I've got K&K Mini's on my LV-09 and my D-03BW, and I love it!! Sounds very true, sounds like my guitar.

Quote from: jmhyer on August 17, 2005, 12:18:24 PM
  The only thing I would personally have concern about would be drilling the end-hole for the jack.

Obvious question: have you looked at your end pin? My D-03R had the large strap attachment and needed no drilling - couldn't be easier.

Great question.  I don't know what kind of end-pin hole the -03 models come with.  The -09 and -10 series (and maybe the -05's) don't normally come with any type of hole or end-pin.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

03 has a standard end pin, easy to use the screw hole as a guide when drilling (or reaming)
09 has no end pin, so you'de have to drill a fresh hole... I didn't trust myself not to mess up
the finish, so I had a local luthier drill the holes

Funny, my 03 came with the big strap pin - no drilling.

I like both the mini and regular K&K, but I prefer the regular because it is easier to install.  The smaller transducers are harder to keep on your fingers, and I always glue my fingers together!  As for the strap pins, Larrivee used to send the gloss guitars with no strap buttons, but I believe all of their guitars now get the deluxe end pin with the allen head wrench fitting.  They are great, and when you unscrew them you are left with a perfect 1/2" hole to install the strapjack.  It has really made my life easier since Larrivee started doing that.  Good luck with whichever pickup you choose.  They both sound great.  Jason
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Thanks a lot for all the thoughtful responses.  I just love the acoustic sound of my new D-03R.  Wonderful tone.  Very balanced.  I believe I will add the K&K mini.  I've successfully added the K&K's to several of my guitars already, and really like the sound.  I believe the endpin hole on the D-03R is already 1/2 inch, so I should need to ream it anymore.

Thanks again,

Rich

Quote from: RBurton on August 19, 2005, 08:00:24 AM
Thanks a lot for all the thoughtful responses.  I just love the acoustic sound of my new D-03R.  Wonderful tone.  Very balanced.  I believe I will add the K&K mini.  I've successfully added the K&K's to several of my guitars already, and really like the sound.  I believe the endpin hole on the D-03R is already 1/2 inch, so I should need to ream it anymore.

Thanks again,

Rich

Rich, the D-03R is a great guitar and the K&K Pure Western should sound just as good, I just installed the regular size K&K on my Dread without any problems.  If your D-03 is brand new you will have to drill it out to 1/2 inch for the endpin hole.  Be very careful doing this and enlarge the hole using slightly larger drill bits incrementally.  Good luck and keep us posted! :WNK>
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Quote from: HangFire on September 05, 2005, 10:14:28 AM
If your D-03 is brand new you will have to drill it out to 1/2 inch for the endpin hole. 

The newer -03s come with a special end pin covering a hole that is already 1/2 inch, drilled out for the jack. On both of my -03s (2004 models) it was a matter of unscrewing the end plug (allen wrench) and putting the new one in. So simple, even I could do it. :WNK> I assume from what you are saying that the older ones did not have the handy dandy end plug.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: dbirchett on September 05, 2005, 10:43:21 AM
I assume from what you are saying that the older ones did not have the handy dandy end plug.

You are correct sir, my D-03bw needed to be drilled for the 1/4" jack! :WNK>

(My D-09 does not have any strap pins.)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2