Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LR Baggs M1 (passive)  (Read 950 times)
fugufish

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2005, 06:06:26 PM »

Hello all,

I just got my LV-03R on Friday. I'm using a Baggs M1 passive and  a PARA DI. The first time I plugged into the sound system and started playing I noticed my wife and son cringing. There was a loud ringing tone coming out over the PA system as I played. I couldn't hear it from the stage so we switched places and sure enough, there it was. I started playing with the PARA DI's EQ and notch filter and and eventually we got a decent amplified sound. It still doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm new to all this. Any suggestions about the notch filter settings? I have read the documentation. I've heard the M1 described as "too glassy and electric sounding" on various forums. I've also listened to some really great sound clips and songs using the M1 on the Baggs website and I thought it sounded great!

Also, it picks up a slight buzz from the light dimmers in the church.

Thanks in advance!

LV-03R/LR Baggs M1
Yamaha FG411CE
Fender Gemini II
Epi PR775-12 12 string
Squire Strat
bri

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 12:19:25 AM »

when i used this setup with my L-03BW i put the gain at about 3/4 of the way and turned down the treble about 1/8. this cut some of the harshness out. try turning the gain down a bit and the volume up and it may sound more natural
Gerry

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:34:58 AM »

Go to http://www.fingerpick.com/pickups.htm and download the video demo of the Baggs M1. The very first scene shows the settings on the PADI. Try using those settings. This is what I set mine at (I'm using the passive M1) and it should be the same as that. Good luck.

Gerry

[attachment no longer available]
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 06:25:11 PM »

It still doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm new to all this. Any suggestions about the notch filter settings?

My suggestion - sell the M1 and get a K&K Pure Western mini.  :WNK>

Sorry, I couldn't resist.   -_-  But seriously, the Pure Western mini pickups are the most natrual sounding I've yet found.  Very little EQ needed, if any.  Most people just plug in and play.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: