Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the live show rounds and need some advice...  (Read 1362 times)
ODogg

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »

Right now, I am just plugging my acoustics straight into our mixing board which is plugged into our power amp. 

The band currently consists of acoustic rhythm and lead vocals by me, our bassist, our drummer and, sometimes, a fiddle.  Can someone recommend the equipment I need to start collecting?  For example, a DI box...I've never used one and don't know how necessary it is. 

A friend who sings in another group (sometimes a capella) recommended that I look at a Sonic Maximizer by BBE.  These can be purchased on eBay for under $100. 

Additionally, for the moment, I'd like to stick to "budget" improvements.  That is, as much as I've heard about the Baggs Paracoustic...I can't make myself spend that much on it.  Unless that is all I will need.

I am in the process of buying some Shure SM58's for the vocals.  Other than that, I am clueless.  Currently, we are even renting our power amp.   We'e been using an old Peavey CS800.  We have our own board, speakers, monitors and instruments. 

What should be our next purchase?  Or, what should be my next purchase to enhance the sound of my guitars and vocals?

Thanks, in advance, for your help. 

-----------------------------------------
-Larrivee D-03

-Martin HD-35
Zach
Admin

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 10:18:13 PM »

What kind of board, speakers, etc. are you using?  The reason I ask is because it might be smarter to save towards upgrading that than trying to find a budget fix.  Personally, I would not waste your money on a Sonic Maximizer, but thats just me.  A Baggs PADI is a tool I think almost everyone should have, but it will only help your guitar.

Zach
ODogg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 10:24:23 PM »

Our board is a Behringer, and we have SoundTech STS Titanium with 15" subs.  Our monitors are Peaveys, I believe...although they are not mine, so I can't be certain.  Thanks for your help, Zach.  I know that PADI is calling my name... wacko

-Larrivee D-03

-Martin HD-35
djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 04:33:41 AM »

You can buy Ultrasound's guitar PDI box or just get an Ultrasound amp--it has the same circuitry as the PDI built in, then you can monitor yourself and send a direct signal to the mix board.

I feel these are the best AFFORDABLE acoustic guitar amps period.

Sunday I gigged with only that amp for two voices and two guitars, using a mini mixer. Great as usual! This was outdoors at a restaurant patio. This was with the 50 watt model, & the  digital FX are pretty good.
I have to say, the guitar sound is absolutely real.
There is a used one now at Guitar Adoptions for $399!!!

DJ

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 05:40:25 PM »

hey Odogg,

Before you start adding a bunch of equipment to your rig ask yourself this:  What problem am I trying to fix?  There's just too much stuff out there for me to make any suggetions on so little information. 

My experience has been: 'simple is good.'  If you are happy with your sound and your audience is happy with your sound, why complicate it?  If not, then what specifically are the problems?  For example: Don't like guitar sound, can't hear guitar, don't like vocal sound, can't hear vocals, drummer can't hear guitar/vocals, audience can't hear guitar/vocals, guitar is causing feedback, vocals are causing feedback.....)  All of these are different problems with different (and multiple!) solutions.

I think I (and we here on the forum) can help, but we'll need more info....

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
ODogg

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 04:00:15 AM »

Thanks for your help everyone!  Making the scheduled rounds is a bit daunting and I am beginning to realize that one cannot make any money while performing...it all goes back into new equipment!   wacko

But, it is a great experience and I am an attention hog.   :GRN>

-Larrivee D-03

-Martin HD-35
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 10:29:13 AM »

Good Luck - it's a tough balance between working for a little extra money and working to support a gear habit! At some point, you have to decide just how much is enough, and what you would possess if you were not playing out. I don't think I'll ever pay for all the stuff....

Best advice I can give is keep it as simple as you can.

Good example - couldn't get to my PADI recently  and I found out the sound is great from my D-03R with K&K mini just straight into the PA with a flat setting. Hadn't given it the chance before! I just lightened the load.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: