Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sigmas are sometimes--GREAT!  (Read 1047 times)
djsonovox

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2006, 01:13:07 AM »

I got a used SDM18 two months ago, and got a fret glued in and the neck flattened..it is a lot easier to play. It cost $250. I just liked it's orangey finish and bright tone. Now I put in a K & K twin pickup and leftover Baggs preamp, and it's great amplified.
So I got curious abot a rosewood dread, and tried one yesterday, and picked it up today. It is a DR-28. I see one is on eBay right now, with a week to go on the bidding, and that started at $52!

Maybe I should have waited..but this guitar is a peach.Mint condition.I hear Yamaha maked Sigmas during this period, about 8 years back. There is a dark yet biting tone that I like in this guitar.Soon I hope to install a homemade preamp and a Pure Western in it, and replace the saddle with real bone.

Now, I think Sigmas are the Rodney Dangerfield of guitars--they get no respect!
But I am into them because they seem to play well, have a nice Martinesque tone and are affordable! So they are the ones I am taking to gigs. I treasure my Larrivees a bit too much to subject them to road use, unless I keep a watchful eye on them. So this cheaper guitar aids my peace of mind.

Doug Jones

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 12:55:10 PM »

But I am into them because they seem to play well, have a nice Martinesque tone and are affordable! So they are the ones I am taking to gigs. I treasure my Larrivees a bit too much to subject them to road use, unless I keep a watchful eye on them. So this cheaper guitar aids my peace of mind.

That's more than enough reason to own one!

The prettiest girl in the room isn't always the best dancer...

Ron

Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:07:32 PM »

There was a recent thread on cheap guitars.  Never turn up your nose at one without playing first.

E. Shoaf
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 04:10:18 AM »

I love cheap guitar and there are plenty of good sigmas out there to be had. btw, what ever happened to the sigma line? did the guitar snobs convince mr. martin to drop the line? its been years since Ive seen a new one.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 04:41:31 AM »

I think that's basically what happened.  Somewhere along the way they decided to bring their cheaper guitars in-house rather than outsourcing them to Asian makers.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
roknroll
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:54:06 PM »

I have a sigma from the 70s, it could use some work...I accidentally kicked it over when I was 15, and snapped the neck at the headstock...we did a home glue job on it, good as new!

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 04:30:05 PM »

Well what do you know, there's still a Sigma website, touting the affiliation with Martin:

http://www.sigmaguitars.com/

But there's no mention of them that I can find on the Martin site.

D-03RE
D-03-12

djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:04:39 PM »

The Sigma guitar website seems to be a money-making venture which provides info and bluebook value--for a price. Not really useful unless you want to shell out the money. An acoust guitar site had this great review of this model, which I will include here:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This guitar is a pure acoustic dreadnought based on the Martin D28 with a solid spruce top and laminate rosewood back and sides. It was made in Korea by Yamaha to a Martin design and is apparently "inspected" by Martin at the factory.

Whatever the heritage, it's a beautiful guitar, the full non-cutaway square-shouldered Martin outline is the classic dreadnought shape. The spruce top and rosewood back and sides look fantastic through what appears to be a very thin gloss laquer finish, although I don't know exactly what this finish is, it's certainly pretty. And the subtle cream bindings set it off a treat. It has a mahogany neck with a Martin-style spade headsock sporting a very grown-up martin-alike Sigma logo. It has a very dark stained rosewood fretboard and a lovely smooth low action. Almost electric-like in it's ease of playing. That's strung with Martin Heavy strings.

It has a detailed and warm sound when strummed with a light pick, that is unbelieveably flattering to the player. Even the most basic chord shapes and hamfisted playing styles sound beatiful, musical and complex. It is also great for fingerpicking although it's not the loudest guitar in the world when played this way. It generally has a wonderful balance of warm bass and sweet treble whether picked or strummed and it never sounds harsh even when you really get stuck in. There is no hint of that boomy, boxy, nasal sound that can result from overenthusiastic strumming. It's sweet, warm and detailed and with such an easy action and satisfyingly perfect intonation all over the fretboard it's hard to put down. In fact this guitar goes almost everywhere with me. I love it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I carved a bone saddle for the DR-28, and lubed the truss rod  nut area--it was pretty tight and screamed like mad when I originally tried to adjust the nut. Now the neck is flat and I see there are some wavy irregularities in the neck.

I'll have to take it to my guitar tech to see ilet him file frets and do whatever is needed to make if flater and intone better. Otherwise, it's a great guitar with a big and bright tone, like a D-35 but much more treble.

Oh, there is one on eBay right now, in Herringbone, and the bids are only up to a bit over $100. Maybe I should have waited! I paid $300 for it, but got a tuner, a stand, and a TKL hardshell case with it.

Doug

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »

He does seem to have some for sale though.  And presumably he couldn't get away with invoking the Martin name if Martin had severed its connection with the Sigma brand.

D-03RE
D-03-12

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: