Old Crow Medicine Show

Started by jmhyer, June 26, 2005, 10:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don't know much about them, but caught their "Wagon Wheel" video on one of the country music cable stations.  Sounded pretty cool.  And I couldn't be sure, but I think the guitar player had a LarrivĂ©e...maybe an L-03/L-03R.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

I saw it too. I thought he was playing an OM03. The shoulders were too square to be an L body. Looked like mahogany to me, definitely not rosewood. Definitely a Larrivee 03 model.

Their album is worth checking out if you're interested in a contemporary update of stringband music.  "Wagon Wheel" is definitely the standout track, IMO (placed at the end of the album, perversely enough).

I bought the album because David Rawlings produced it, but it doesn't actually sound anything like Welch/Rawlings -- it's much more raucous and good-timey.  They've got a live EP that you can get on iTunes in which they're joined onstage by Welch and Rawlings.

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

if you want to try more of them before buying, go to the woodsong archives. theyve got a show on there thats pretty....umm....interesting! yeah, thats it!  :GRN> anyway, check it out. i think the guys playing a larrivee on that show too. hard to tell though, but it looks like some kind of L body.

I believe on in the liner notes to their disc which features "Wagon Wheel" it mentions the gear used. If I remember correctly it's an L-09?. It's on the cover too.
Larrivee D-60
Gibson Nick Lucas
Guild D-25 M
Fender Am.Delux. Strat