New Song with the new microphone...

Started by drathbun, July 15, 2005, 05:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I thought I'd post the new song I've just recorded with my new condenser microphone. It is called "What Would Dad Say?"

Here is my setup:

Yamaha Fg720 12 string acoustic
Peavey T20 Bass
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Apex 420 Condenser Microphone
Behringer MIC200 Modelling Tube Preamp
Alto S-6 Mixer
M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card
Behringer VAmp2
Zoom 504II Acoustic
Sonar 4.0 Studio Recording Software
SoundForge 6.0 (mixdown with Wavehammer compression)
Fruity Loops 3.0 (shaker track)

I recorded the 12 string through two mono tracks; one hard left through the Apex 420 and the other hard right through the 12 string's LRBaggs iBeam which then went through my Zoom 504II Acoustic. I doubled the vocals hard right and left through the Apex 420 and put delay and a little reverb on the left track only. The Strat solo was recorded to a single mono track through a Behringer V-Amp on setting B8 (Fullblown Solo) and then sent full right with no other effects while the 12 string solo was again Apex 420 and iBeam left and centre respectively. I like to fiddle around with the placement of the different instruments in the stereo picture, panning them back an forth until they seem to come through clear. I always put the bass and the rhythm tracks very close to centre.

Let me know what you think! This only the second song I've ever written. I wrote it last weekend and recorded it yesterday. It took about six hours altogether. Loads of fun! :)

My Music Page

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

sounds good. I think you had some fun with this.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

A nice, very clear sound! Like it alot! Great recording and singing! Thanks!

Love the 12-string sound! Can't beat it.

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin

Sounds great. I just acquired Sonar 4 Producer, I see you used it in your project. Any comments or tips? So far I am very pleased with it. Cakewalk had an outstanding sale which made it a reasonable purchase.
Joe
D-03
L-03

I have used this program from Cakewalk version 9 through Sonar 1 - 4. I love it! It is so intuitive. I've tried other programs like Audition (Cool Edit), n-Track, and Pro-Tools but nothing IMO is as great as Sonar.

With version 4 you can now organize tracks into folders and you can have multiple clips on one track (so they aren't laying on top of one another anymore). I use Sonar to print out staff, tab and lyric sheets with chord diagrams as well. Dragging and editing clips is so simple. I haven't figured out the drum sequencer yet - I continue to sequence drum tracks in Fruity Loops 3 and import the waves into Sonar. But I'm using the Edirol Orchestral VST synthesizer for orchestral instruments and it is just fabulous! I play my Edirol PCR-M1 keyboard and then clean up my mistakes (I'm a terrible keyboard player) with the Sonar MIDI editor. Effects and mixdown are dead simple. Then I put the wave mix through the SoundForge "Wavehammer" compressor for great results!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Good Job!  I think your Dad would say he liked it!

Thanks for sharing. All as I anticipated/hoped for. I've produced some test tracks and really pleased. Look forward to learning more as I use it.
-_-
Joe
D-03
L-03

Me likey. -_-
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.