Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "D" and "L" comparison--what would you choose?  (Read 1109 times)
AF_ONE

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »

as the story continues, I have found two Larrivees (new) that have wider than standard nuts.  I found an "L-09" with a 1 13/16" neck and a "D-05" with a 1 3/4".  Now, heres the compromise.  My OM  with the 1 3/4" satndard neck is just a hair on the slim side for me, but managable.  The 1 13/16" would probably be perfect and I would have bought it if in a "D".  I'm looking for a "do everything" guitar from 30% fingerstyle to 70% heavy strumming, can the "L" stand up to the strumming???  I've heard alot of bluegrass fellas are trading in their D's for L's?  My OM cannot handle the strumming, but I thought maybe a rosewood L can.  If anyone has one, please comment.  I don't want to buy an "L" as a compromise only to have it be slighlty stronger than my OM.
If it won't handle it, I may have to take the "D" and deal with teh string spacing at the bridge?
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 01:14:25 PM »

I have a Blackwood L and a Koa OM. They both strum pretty well, but the L is eons fuller than the OM. Don't know if it is the difference in size or the steroids :WNK> but unless you are looking for a Martin style bass, the L should suffice.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »

Heavy Strumming? I would go for the D. The D in mahogany will outperform the L in this regard, hands down.

I have an L10 (it's one of the older ones and is very light) and an OM-03R SH and the OM will take a flat pick better.

Ron

PapaTom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »

When I bought my D-03R there was also a very nice L-03 on sale. The rosewood on the D swayed my decision to buy the D-03R, but if there was a L-03R available I might have gone in that direction instead. You can't go wrong with either one.
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »

This topic comes up fairly frequently here.  You can search for other threads, but as I recall there is not really any consensus on the subject.

E. Shoaf
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 12:53:48 PM »

I have one of each. For a while I had a D-03R and an L-09. Side by side I didn't notice al ot of difference. Both models handle strumming well.  The L-09 was a little tighter in the bass the the D.

Personally, I would go with the guitar that's the most comfortable to play. You're not going to sacrifice a lot of volume going with the L vs. the D. Take a look at the specs for each model and you'll see that the overall size difference isn't all that great.

YMMV,

Mark

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
Hoser Rob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 03:05:40 PM »

Remember you're going to be dealing with sample differences, as with any factory made instrument.  Try them and see for yourself.

If you're worried about how they'll project, take a friend and have him or her play them from across a (hopefully loud) room.  That's the best way to see if it'll cut.
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:26:26 PM »

Unless you are player that needs to cut through constantly with heavy strumming (in this case the D always shines), hands down the L body wins.

I've been curious how the LJ body sounds like.  It certainly look PHAT.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 03:07:44 PM »

Unless you are player that needs to cut through constantly with heavy strumming (in this case the D always shines), hands down the L body wins.

I've been curious how the LJ body sounds like.  It certainly look PHAT.

bone jaring  wacko

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
LittleBrother

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »

It's all a personal preference but if I were going to strum songs and didn't mind the larger feeling guitar I would choose the D. It really does shine for singer players as stated before me. If I was going to mostly fingerpick/style and do some flatpicking and strumming on the side I would choose the L. Either guitar could actually be used for anything but the D has a pretty deep resonant bass and the midrange melts together quite a bit and my fingerpicking gets a little lost in that big body. Especially in the rosewood model which really colors those midrange notes.  I also think the L's I have played project a little more and possibly more balanced and focused in tone. Either one is a fine choice but they certainly have two different characters. I also must have 1-3/4" nut so that always factors in for me.  The L and the D are both 16" inch guitars but the sloped shoulder on the L makes it seem more comfortable. I personally thing the L is the most beautiful design in the Larrivee line except for maybe the parlors, 00, 000.

Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 12:30:27 AM »

Love my L's but play my D a lot! :mellow:

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
parsky1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 12:36:32 AM »

I believe Jean calls the L body the modern guitar.  If you want a good all around guitar for both fingerstyle and strumming go with the L.  Plus the LV cutaway is bar far the coolest looking!  :GRN>

05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:16:53 PM »

I dont want to admitt it, but the L is essentially a D with more curves.  And the L actually does sound more like a D than any other guitar.  Except the L (especially the mahogany versions) has alot more defined mids and uppers.  I dont agree with it having LESS bass, I think the bass is tighter/focused.

And to sum it up, the tightness of the bass really is better for finger style, but then for strumming you want the bass notes to last longer to complement the other notes in the cords (which is D is better at).  But IMO the L is an adaptation of a D characteristics to a classical guitar body shape.

and to respond to Randy's post... Personally if I ever get a larger guitar (which my shoulders really would kill me for), I would want a LJ (w. cutaway) in flamed maple, never played one, but I can just picture how it would sound. :mellow:   I'd settle for a jumbo maple too ;)

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print