Factory Flaws

Started by finewoods, July 03, 2005, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lets not forget that there are many excellent dealers also.  We have several here in Northern New England.  There is no way our local dealer would let a guitar with a significant problem find its way into the showroom.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

Quote from: finewoods on July 04, 2005, 11:05:57 AM
My feeling is my dealer definitely knew there were issues with this guitar but they sold it anyway. He went to a private office to speak with Larrivee this time and I've heard them talk to other manufactures on the regular phone line. I'm just waiting until after work to go demand a refund from my store.

Finewoods
How did your get from "I am hoping to get a replacement" to "I am going to DEMAND a refund" all in the space of two posts?" Something is not computing here...

I've had time to speak with other musicians in my area who said they would be demanding, not asking. I thought more about the sale which I won't go into the details, and know now something wasn't right after thinking about it.  As time passes I feel it's not right to pay big money for a high end item and receive a defective item and if it was any other business concerning a sale I would be demanding a refund. I may not get a refund, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd rather put this unpleasant experience behind me and start over with another brand or another dealer. That's how I arrived at my last comments. I hope that computes for you.

Finewoods

So, it was Colonel Mustard in the Acoustic Room with the Flatpick?  :rolleyes:

You are way over-thinking this whole thing. Larrivee makes great guitars. Sometimes, even the best make mistakes and let a flawed guitar past them. You will likely get either a refund from the dealer or Larrivee, or Larrivee will get the guitar into the condition you expect. Relax, drink a beer, whatever, but stop obsessing. It will all be okay.
My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
http://photos.yahoo.com/rttadlock

I think I have one of those friday guitars as well. Sold to me as new by an online dealer, has a scratch or crack in the overlay on the headstock and it looks like someone scraped a label out of the inside and put another one in it's place leaving the scrape marks. Also there are sandpaper marks under the surface as well as circular sand paper marks in a spot on the back. However it was very discounted for an "as new" D-09 and it has been really turning me on these day's more so  then most geetars that I have had. I was upset about not getting a polish cloth with it but thats another gripe.

I think if the problems are not structural, and it plays and sounds fine that should be reason to keep it.
However if you feel like you were misled then by all means get what you deserve..from all the lurking I have done it would seem that Larrivee would make it right.

I don't think anyone should tell you how or what words you should use in a post, this isnt grammar school is it?

I hope SlowFingers is right about the refund. The dealer said if Larrivee doesn't replace the guitar, they will refund my money. I would rather just get the refund but a replacement is better than a repair to me. I really liked the Larrivee, but I will have to think twice on buying a new one, or at least check it thoroughly next time. I don't feel you should have to check a guitar of this reputation as the quality control should be better than what I received.

Live and Learn.

Finewoods

Let the warrenty process work itself out. About fifteen years ago I bought a Guild D-15 MT, after a few weeks I noticed the sound board was lifting up on the top left bout. I brought it back to the store, they sent it back to RI. It took about a month and a half, but they fixed it up perfectly, and you would never have been able to tell it had ever had any repairs on it. Kept it for the next fifteen years without incident.

Larrivee is much better company than Guild ever was, so I'd assume they will resolve this as best they are able to.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

there is nothing wrong with asking for refund,I would hope that the dealer value's you as a customer to make you happy.He can always resale the guitar after it is returned.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: finewoods on July 04, 2005, 01:22:20 PM
I've had time to speak with other musicians in my area who said they would be demanding, not asking. I thought more about the sale which I won't go into the details, and know now something wasn't right after thinking about it.  As time passes I feel it's not right to pay big money for a high end item and receive a defective item and if it was any other business concerning a sale I would be demanding a refund. I may not get a refund, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd rather put this unpleasant experience behind me and start over with another brand or another dealer. That's how I arrived at my last comments. I hope that computes for you.

Finewoods
an 05 is a "high end guitar"  OK, if you say so....

To Walkerman: The LV-05 just happen to be the most expensive acoustic I've ever purchased to date, and to me, it's high end.

Yea, what unclrob said - I agree 100%.

Yes to many folks a larrivee 05 model is high end.  To many folks an 05 is the finest instrument they could ever hope or dream of owning, and it is indeed a fine instrument.  Certainly Larrivee advertising it as such, and in my experience the advertising is spot on.  That reality is what some dealers fail to understand.  But it really doesn't matter - the same rules apply to any product, even a lowly 03!

Its very very frustrating to spend more than you can afford to buy what you expect to be a lovely instrument and find that that you have a problem on your hands.  That is why it is so important to get an approval period and ship it back if its not right.  Thats hard to do, but you just have to do it. 
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

To rpg51: I appreciate your comments and others. Many people have different opinions and that's what makes a good forum. 

Finewoods

I read almost every post. Within the trial period you should absolutely be in perfect position to demand a refund as forcefully as you want to demand it. Nothing wrong there. If you kept it past that period you're fate is now in the hands of Larrivee unless the dealer still just wants to refund or exchange it and end the transaction. In either case you are covered 100%. Dont judge Larrivee by that one bad apple. They always make it right. I think the 05 series are some of the finest guitars in the product line and usually a huge value. My favorite level is 05 but of course I like mahogany.
Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

To LittleBrother: Thanks for your reply. How long is the trial period?

Quote from: finewoods on July 05, 2005, 11:21:10 AM
To LittleBrother: Thanks for your reply. How long is the trial period?

It depends on the dealer.  There is no set trial period.

Zach

good luck I hope this works out for you.This sould be a fun place to share info, it's sad why some feel the need to take shots at each other.There is nothing wrong calling the 05 high end,I had to work long and hard to save for my 00-05!!!!!!!

I have been around the block a few times as I am sure most of you have as well.  In my middle age, I finally came to the conclusion that you generally do better dealing with the folks at the other end of a consumer support line (or whatever they call them now) by being friendly and calm yet persistent at the same time, not demanding.  Just my opinion having tried both approaches over the years.    If the representative thinks you are a reasonable person you are a lot more likey to get a good result.  Even though the truth of the matter is that I am a completely unreasonable person I have managed to convince a few of these big companies, Dell for instance, that I am actually quite reasonable!  Amazing but true!   Still by far the best thing is to get an approval period and use it. 
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

Mail order gets 24 hour approval,In shop there is no approval.If I see something bad on a guitar that I'm selling in house its off the rack or sold as a blem.If its something I missed after you got it home I'll replace or refund whatever you choose.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Yeah good points. Some dealers have a 48 hour period, some it's 72. I usually even extend that period if there are special circumstances. I know some dealers with a 14 day policy and Musician's Friend has a 30 day which is pretty far out. I have also bought from small shops that would only allow you a store credit once you left with the guitar. I guess this is a store made policy.
Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

I just got off the phone with my dealer and the company policy is a full refund, instore credit, whatever up to 10 days after the purchase. It was expressed that Larrivee may just put a new neck on the guitar. I know to most this seems like nothing but it's not the same to me getting the guitar back with a new neck. The experience of me buying a beautiful high end guitar for the first time would be lost and the bottom line is I don't have to except it and won't.  Just my feelings on this. 

Finewoods