G&L Tributes

Started by Caleb, July 01, 2005, 07:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

man, i played one of their tele look-alikes yesterday - the one with p90s in it. i havent been that impressed in a long time with an imported electric guitar. solid build. great hardware. killer pups. big chunky neck.....almost too big for my taste.....but it felt really solid. im officially impressed. good job g&l.
:mellow:

Very nice guitars for the money. For the record, that was probably the ASAT Special with the MFD pickups. I don't think the Tribute line has a guitar with P90s, though they kind of look like them. Funny enough, I sold my ASAT Tribute and got a Nelsonic tele that does have P90s in it. :)

Quote from: JasonA on July 01, 2005, 10:13:11 AM
Very nice guitars for the money. For the record, that was probably the ASAT Special with the MFD pickups. I don't think the Tribute line has a guitar with P90s, though they kind of look like them. Funny enough, I sold my ASAT Tribute and got a Nelsonic tele that does have P90s in it. :)
what is a nelsonic and why did you get rid of the g&l for it? and yes, they might not haver been p90s, but they did look like them and the all-knowing teenage sales guy told me they were.
^_^

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Yeah, those sales kids know their stuff!   :WNK>

Here's the ASAT special:

http://www.glguitars.com/tribute/instruments/ASAT_Special/index.asp

I had a regular ASAT, so it had typical tele-ish pickups. The Nelsonic is another Korean-made guitar. Heck, it might be made in the same factory as the Tributes for all I know. Very similar quality as to the fit and finish.  Nice fretwork, bone nut, comfortable neck. I kept it and sold the Tribute because: 1) The Nelsonic was cheaper, 2) I liked the P90 pickups a little more, 3) The Nelsonic tele body had a belly cut like a strat -- nontraditional, but I like it. Here's some pics of mine:

http://www.jasonames.net/redp90/

very cool. i checked out nelsonics on the web - they look REALLY nice. i dont really get the whole bit about just "one guys making all of the guitars" though?  they make it sound as if its a one-man-shop? that would be pretty cool if it was so, but it would also make it pretty hard for them to put out many guitars. at any rate, im sure yours is a really fine guitar.

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on July 01, 2005, 01:32:33 PM
very cool. i checked out nelsonics on the web - they look REALLY nice. i dont really get the whole bit about just "one guys making all of the guitars" though?  they make it sound as if its a one-man-shop? that would be pretty cool if it was so, but it would also make it pretty hard for them to put out many guitars. at any rate, im sure yours is a really fine guitar.

Are you talking about this line? "All of our instruments are produced in limited quantities by a single employee owned facility"

I take that to mean that all Nelsonics are built in the same factory, which is owned by the employees.

Zach

Right. It's definitely a factory guitar. Who knows which one though. I suspect a lot of these guitars with various nameplates are outsourced to only a few factories (Tribute, Nelsonic, Agile, PRS SE, etc.).

yeah, thats the line i was talking about. im a little slow sometimes, guys. ^_^

the nelsonics are probably very fine guitars, like the tributes are. i tell you what though, the american guitar companies have done their homework when it comes to marketing. theyve got most of us thinking that if it doesnt read "fender....gibson....etc." on the headstock, and if its not made in the usa, that its not a good guitar. a trip to the guitar shop will prove this wrong, but the marketing has made an impact on my mind. im sure im not alone here. im trying to break out of this mold and be open-minded when it comes to other makers. from what ive seen, the koreans are making some killer guitars.

heres what my MIJ Tribute looks like. Before the MIks they were, and continue to be for the Japanese market, MIJ. Mine is up to the Japanese standards we have come to expect and is a real nice guitar...for any amount of money. The only thing I don`t like about it are the tiny pots... no trouble with em yet but they look flimsy. Got it for 50% off list during a blowout sale.
should add... not my pic.

[attachment no longer available]