D'Addario or Elixir

Started by Jim Bo, June 18, 2005, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am having a tough time deciding which type string I like the best. Each have distinctive qualities and I'm curious what other pickers think. What would you recommend for bluegrass picking?
Jim

I play with D'Addario EXP17s on everything but one of my L's, I put Elixir nanowebs meds. on it for open tunings. :GRN>
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

I personally prefer D'Addario non-coated phosphor bronze (EJ16, I think).  It's strictly personal preference, though.

I think you'll find a fairly equal mix of Elixir and D'Addario fans around here.

For what it's worth, Dan Tyminksi and Ron Block (both of Union Station) use Elixir acoustic guitar strings.  -_-
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

If you can't tell a difference or have a preference , don't worry about it.Buy the cheaper string.

As a Flatpicker, I'm not normally an Elixir fan to speak of, but I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of their new "trial" set of Phosphor Bronze strings recently. Let me tell you, as a D'Addario PB EJ-17 hardcore fan, I was blown away by the sound of these new PB Elixir strings. I've had them for 2 weeks now, and still love them. They have mellowed a tad bit now(an okay thing), and still sound fresh, loud, and cutting.

They are supposed to be out on the market by the end of the Summer, if you're interested.

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin

Of course there are differences between the strings, and everyone has an opinion of what is best. It really is an excersise that you have to go through, trying different guages, brands and coatings for each guitar. Sometimes it comes down to other factors. I know one player that hates changing strings so much that she plays with a coated string, even though she doesn't like the tone as much as playing with regular strings.

The string use can also be dependant on a particular situation. Some players will switch from PB to 80/20 when they record. The only time I have ever used coated strings was in a festival situation where I knew it was going to be very hot, humid and sticky. They got me through the weekend and then I tossed them.

Celebrity endorsements, or usage, should be taken with a grain of salt. You will find someone saying that each brand is the best.

String changes are one of the easiest, non invasive ways that we can customize our guitars to fit our playing style and quest for a particular tone.

Oh yeah, when you change strings you may want to experiment with the style an weight of pick you use. This can make as much difference, or more, in tone and feel as anything else you alter.
Ron

Well said Romac!  I echo your comments regarding the ability to acquire the sound you want from an instrument by altering the the types and gauge of strings used.  This is one the least expensive ways to get the most out of your guitar.  And the pick selection is another very valid point.  I use every thing from .38 to .72 thinkness to change the sound to match the style and sound of the music I wish to reproduce. 

I feel strings and picks just don't get the recongition they deserve!!!  We love to talk guitars and make statements that guitar brand A sounds better than brand B and model C better than D.  But chances are, they may all have different brands of strings,  some older, some newer and the comparison is really not fair.  To prove this point, I will tell a story about a guitar I could have purchase but regret to this day I didn't.  The model was a Martin limited edition Gordon Lightfoot.  It was very average sounding, nothing to get excited about.  The strings were old, probably never changed in 3 months or more.  I guess I couldn't see past the strings.  Now, here is the hard part.... I recently bought a CD by the East Coast musician J.P. Cormier and on the right on the cover of the CD is the exact guitar!!!  Apprarently he bought it with the old strings but recognized the potential this guitar had.  It became an inspirational piece for him and soon after,  he released a tribute CD of his lifelong idol, Gordon Lightfoot.  And the guitar sounds great!!! 

Just thought I would share this story of lost love.....     :<>

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

Great story Newstrings!

I may be able to offer some comfort to you. I have done a few shows with J.P. and I can tell you that he could put strings on a '49 Ford 1/2 ton truck bumper and make it sound better than anything else on stage! Give him a nice guitar, some fresh strings and whoooaaa!

It may comfort you to know that he also is constantly buying, and selling his instruments. You never know, that D may be on the block some day again.

Ron

Thanks Romac,

J.P. certainly is an exceptional musican and, like you said, can making incredible music come from anything he touches!!  It sure would be nice if he ever had the wish to sell that Martin Gordon Lightfoot, but I think it hold a lot of special meaning for him considering who's signature is on it.  But one never knows....

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

I highly recommend that you all try FireWire strings.  I use the 80/20 mediums.  They are my favorite strings after having tried Elixirs, D'addarios, John Pearse, Newtones, and Dean Markley Alchemy.  Excellent tone and longevity to boot.  I get mine from Red Bear Trading.

Different guitars respond to different strings. I use EXP's on my Yamaha FG150 and Elixir nanos on my Larry L05 and Yamaha FG720.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 18, 2005, 08:06:29 PM
If you can't tell a difference or have a preference , don't worry about it.Buy the cheaper string.

In my experience that would be the Nanowebs.  The added life I get from them makes them far more cost effective by a factor of three.  I prefer the sound of D'Addarios from day 2 to day 7 but after that the Elixirs sound better and   are stable for much longer
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

The D'addario EXP coated strings have extended life also. I have some guitars that like the EXP's.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on June 22, 2005, 10:42:56 AM
The D'addario EXP coated strings have extended life also. I have some guitars that like the EXP's.

None of my guitars liked the EXP's. Don't know the truth for sure but I've heard that Elixirs start out life as D'Addarios anyway.  Maybe Gore is better at the coating process.
Dreamsinger
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat

Elixer and DAddario use different coating techniques. Elixer coats the string after it is wound, DAddario coats the windings before they are wound on the core. Elixer, until recently, did not offer a phospourbronze string which I suspect has a lot to do with the difference between Elixer and EXPs. EXPs remain my favorites.

I would like to try the new Elixir in PB. Summer is here and playing festivals on hot sweaty days can really chew up the strings.
Ron

By the way, a D'Addario endorser told me that Elixir strings are actually made by D'Addario. Gore buys them from D'Addario, adds the coating and sells them under their own name.

Quote from: chris on June 28, 2005, 02:58:59 AM
By the way, a D'Addario endorser told me that Elixir strings are actually made by D'Addario. Gore buys them from D'Addario, adds the coating and sells them under their own name.

The plot thickens. I wonder how many string distributors buy from the same factory and package them under their own name. The Mapes factory is located about 50 miles from me and I suspect several companies buy the same strings from them. Would be interesting to know.
Jim

Quote from: Jim Bo on July 01, 2005, 06:46:15 PM
Quote from: chris on June 28, 2005, 02:58:59 AM

The plot thickens. I wonder how many string distributors buy from the same factory and package them under their own name. The Mapes factory is located about 50 miles from me and I suspect several companies buy the same strings from them. Would be interesting to know.

I've heard that too from so many sources that I'd believe it. I wish Gore would make a deal with John Pearse to coat his PB's.
Dreamsinger
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat

I have heard that John Pearse are also made, to his specs, by D'Addario.
Ron