Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medium Gauge Strings For Parlor?  (Read 3062 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2004, 04:07:13 PM »

Anyone tried using medium gauge strings on their larrivee parlors?  i'm thinking about trying medium on mine but the parlors bridge and maybe the sound board aren't quite as beefy as their big brothers so i was a little worried about undue stress being placed on the top of the guitar.  Larrivee states the parlors can handle medium strings like their other guitars but i'd like to know if anyone encountered any problems in their long term usage on parlors.
Thanks poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 04:45:01 PM »

If I'm not mistakin Koamon has med's on his parlour.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Robb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 04:51:04 PM »

I'm getting ready for my first string change on my rosewood parlor and I bought Martin sp's in  medium... I'll let you know next week, I'm not a coated string fan...Robb

Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 12:50:36 AM »

Thanks for the info folks...come to think of it, the parlors shorter scale legnth requires quite noticably less stiffly strung strings therefore presumably makes it less important to beef up the top and bridge sections as in the full scale guitars.  i'd like to hear how the martin sp strings sound compared to nanos...i have a set of med nanos but may just wait a while before trying them out.
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »

Curiosity got the best of me and i installed the medium nanowebs on my koa parlor...i must say the med gauge strings provide a definite improvement in tonal character...a little more balanced and warmer sounding. the high E in particular is a nice improvement over the lights, the tone not being nearly as tinny and edgy sounding and the low E sounds tighter and clearer...overall a noticeable improvement in tone which is more akin to my OM-09.  The meds require more effort to fret but not as much as my OM using lights...as far as any undue stressing problems i'll be monitoring closely.
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
richinlou

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 08:17:49 PM »

Just made the switch from lights to medium (D'As) this weekend - what an improvement!  On my rosewood, the "B" string sounded tinny - sort of like it was in a well.  The mediums took care of that and overall, improved the sound immensely.  Thanks for the good tip!
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 07:46:28 AM »

The parlor sure does benefit from using med guage strings IMHO in regards to tonal quality...i think the problem with the light strings may be too thin and not able to be strung tight enough due to the shorter scale length of the parlor and thus the strings vibrate in an "undiciplined" manner in particular the B and high E strings.  The medium guage strings being thicker are strung stiff enough to prevent most of the tinniness and adds warmth, clarity and projection.
i originally tried the med guage to see if that helps to minimize some buzzing on the low E string as per Larrivee.  It did certainly help the situation and improve the tone to boot...
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 01:58:17 PM »

If you really want to open up the parlor:

Change out the plastic bridge pins with ebony, Tusq graphite or bone. Replace the saddle with a bone one. It will transfer more of the string vibration to the top.
Change out the strings to a heavier guage.  I use either Maritin SP phospher bronze. 13-56, or D'Addario Bluegrass SB 12-56. With the heavier guage strings you should bring down the action and readjust the neck a 1/4  turn or so.

If you replace the clear pickguard with a tortishell one it will really dress it up.

Hope this helps,  Owen

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Larrivee all Koa Parlor Special Edition
Larrivee 00-03 Venetian Cutaway Limited
Larrivee Maple Parlor Special Edition
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 03:59:03 PM »

Koamon, thanks for the info.  As it turns out my particular parlor 0-09K came with ebony bridge pins and has no pick guard at all which is the way i prefer it. i am looking at using other brands of strings such as Martin SPs.  currently mine has med guage Elixer nanowebs (13-56)...i was wondering how other bridge pin materials might alter the tone such as brass...Have you had any problems with sound board stress warping using thicker gauge strings on your parlor over time?
Thanks again poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 04:32:11 PM »

No warping whatsoever. The shorter scale, the twelve fret neck and bringing down the action (thereby reducing the string angle hence the string tension) helps with the heavier guage. The medium strings with the modifications will help to drive the soundoard and give it a bigger/fuller sound. This is particularly helpful if you do open tunings as the light guage strings won't drive the top well. I personally play in drop D tuning in most of the songs I play (it really sounds better than standard tuning on all my Larrivees) and that also helps to reduce tension on the 6th string on my parlour.
For bridge pins I use the cream Tusq Graphite ones with the abalone dots. IMO I like them better than the Ebony ones, they are comparable to the bone ones and really dress up the looks for only $14.

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Larrivee all Koa Parlor Special Edition
Larrivee 00-03 Venetian Cutaway Limited
Larrivee Maple Parlor Special Edition
Robb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 02:14:15 PM »

I put a set of Martin SP medium's yesterday and I am very pleased with the sound...much snapier in the bass region over the coated strings...

Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: