Bob Dylan--Willie Nelson Tour

Started by Fredmando, June 30, 2005, 06:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you live near a minor league baseball park, I would recommend trying to catch Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson in concert. I caught them last night in Louisville. While they never took teh stage together, it was a magical night. Can you believe that they offered a "kids under 12 free" option? That is cool.
Nelson is awesome and this is the second time I have seen him. He was a top-notch performer. His band was tight and he has his sister play a grand piano on the stage. Nelson talks to the crowd with his music and you really get the feeling you are there to visit an old friend.
Ok, the guitar. His old Martin is showing extreme stress! I had never realized the hole in the sound board was that big. How he gets the sound out of that little guitar amazes me.
Dylan was amazing. I have seen him twice. The first time was in 2001 and he had Charlie Sexton touring with him on guitar. That tour was fast-paced and I think Dylan was in top form that year. He played a lot of guitar in the 2001 performance. Last night, he stayed behind his keyboard unless he did a harmonica solo, then he would dance a little. His band was dead-on, absolute killer. Unfortunately, his voice was showing some wear last night and he would really wane when he would try to hit "highs" or "lows." But, this is a minor detail when you are less than 100 feet from a legend, standing under the great summer sky in a baseball field. Nothing can ever take the sound of early Bob Dylan from my mind. I can forgive Dylan for his voice, you know?
It don't get much better.

Willie Nelson is a great musician.
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

I love Willie. I'm fond of Dylan, also. Saw them in Peoria last year - great show, but I must admit we left early, giving up part of the Dylan half in order to drive home and save the cost of an overnighter.  I'd rather hear Dylan on guitar than keyboard.

I was very surprised to see Great Falls, Montana on the Bob Dylan tour schedule so I jumped at the chance to see him.  Unfortunately Willie isn't on the bill for this show, but having someone like Bob Dylan come to Great Falls is a huge event.  The last show I saw here locally was 3 Doors Down, and they were very good, but I admit I am more excited about Dylan.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

We have tickets for the show in St. Paul on July 12th. Really looking forward to it. Will be my fourth Dylan show, first time for Willie. Great idea. Charge a reasonable ticket price and do what you want. He can play tarantellas on an accordion all night for all I care.

:ph34r:

I went the other night in Nashville. It was awesome I was about 30-40 feet away, close enough to see the sweat dripping off Dylan. Dylan started out straining on the first two numbers but then smoothed out and was good from there. Only downside to being in the "mosh" area was all the reefer smoke.

Downside? Sounds like the upside to me!  :ph34r:

Thanks to this thread! I just bought tiks to see them boys in Schaumberg, IL on July 10th! I am so psyched! :mellow:
The world is not a black and white place-It's green and blue
BGMF

anyone know if charlie sexton is playing guitar on this tour with dylan? man, that guy can play! the ironic thing is, his singing voice is almost identical to bob dylans son, jacob. youll actually think its the same guy singing. both have that low, dark voice. sexton should have been a house-hold name, but he just never broke out that big as a performer for some reason. didnt follow trends and stayed true to himself though, gotta hand it to him for that. i think hes done pretty well for himself as a producer though.

Travis--That is  a good question. From what I remember, Charlie Sexton did not look like this year's lead guitar player in the Dylan Band. If he shaved his head and wears a cowboy hat, then it was Sexton. Either way, the lead guitar player on the Dylan tour can really rock.
When I saw Dylan in concert in 2001, Sexton was in command and both of them lead on guitar. I agree with your comments on Sexton. I have an old CD of his and it blew me away when I bought it.
On another subject, I think the time that Tom Petty spent with Dylan did both of them a lot of good. Petty has continued to grow. I sure liked the Traveling Wilburys (sp?).
If anyone finds out what Charlie Sexton is up to, let us know. Can you believe he played with David Bowie too?
Wow,
Fred

I saw Dylan and Petty at Alpine Valley in '86 when Petty and the Heartbreakers played as Dylan's back up band. There was also a quartett of black ladies called the Queens of Rythym doing backup vocals. They kicked a** on Ballad of a Thin Man. The show was roughly 1/3 TPH and 2/3 Dylan. I want to say they were touring on Empire Burlesque(?).

Dylan and TPH played on Friday, my friends and I stayed for the Grateful Dead shows on Sat and Sun. One of the best 3 days I've ever had! We camped out in the parking lot all three days. The pre and post show jams in the parking lot were pretty good too!

Mark
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

The show in St. Paul was damn good. Well except that Willie was ... um ... how should I put it? Terrible is too strong. Boring as dirt? Close. And I like Willie!
Dylan's band rocked the place. Bob played keyboards and harmonicas, Stu Kimball on guitars, Donnie Heron on steel, guitar and fiddle, Danny Freeman guitar, Tony Garnier bass and George Recile on drums. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 21, 2005, 02:08:24 PM
The show in St. Paul was damn good. Well except that Willie was ... um ... how should I put it? Terrible is too strong. Boring as dirt? Close. And I like Willie!
Dylan's band rocked the place. Bob played keyboards and harmonicas, Stu Kimball on guitars, Donnie Heron on steel, guitar and fiddle, Danny Freeman guitar, Tony Garnier bass and George Recile on drums. 

What you said! Spot on my friend. I baked at the Chicago show. It was an oven in the sun until that sun went down behind the 3rd base bleachers; and Willie was just plain. Dylan rocked out. Oh well.  :huh:
The world is not a black and white place-It's green and blue
BGMF

So, did you guys notice Dylan's voice on the low and upper end of the scales? Since I went to the concert I've read some other reviews across the country.
I read somewhere that an early producer said that Dylan didn't know how to use a microphone and even in the early days could sound like he was swallowing it.
But, still I'm walking on air over that whole show.

I am going to see Dylan tonight!  Unfortunately no Willie, even if his show is a little boring these days.  It isn't common to get someone like Dylan in Great Falls Montana, so we are excited.  Next week Hoobastank is coming to the State Fair, and I may go see them also, but I'm more excited about Dylan!  J
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

I heard Bob has hand problems...ergo the piano is easier on him than the guitar. I need to check this out. My internet buddy, Marvin Rainwater, works for Bob's brother Dave Zimmerman in Minnesota...

Anyone recall his hit, GONNA FIND ME BLUEBIRD? That's him.
He oughta know. Says Dave and Bob are ping-pong fanatics, playing at warp speed!
I wonder if that's what did in his hands?

DJ
Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke

Just got back from the show.  I am very glad I went, but I have to say it wasn't my favorite show.  He changed up all the songs, which is understandable, but everyone wanted to hear the original versions.  He went up a fifth on the end of every line, which totally changed the melody.  But, I'm not critic and I still enjoyed the show.  It was funny though, because he didn't say a word to the crowd.  No "Hello Great Falls", no nothing.  He didn't say a word until the last song when he introduced the band.  Still, glad I got to see a living legend.  J
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Quote from: guitarcrazy on July 26, 2005, 11:46:24 PM
Still, glad I got to see a living legend.  J

That line kind of sums up my response to the Dylan half of the Wille/Dylan tour last summer.  Glad to have seen him, but he's someplace I'm not these days...

Fortunately for me, he was right where I was at. St. Paul.