Workingman's guitar

Started by 1591rmb, June 28, 2005, 10:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New to the forum. I've been reading and enjoying your posts for a couple of weeks and would like to join the discussion. Hope you're intested in a new topic. Here it is:

We'd all like to own that dream spruce and brazillian 12 fret, but how many would be willing to break it out at a regular playing job.

So what's ideal workingman's acoustic. For me is has to be versatile, tough, sound great plugged in, electronically simply, have great intonation and action, forgiving about less than perfect care, decent looking, but not the kind of instrument that makes you cry when you get a ding or two.

From what I read on this forum, the current 03 series with a good pick-up fills the bill. So what's your ideal workhouse?

Quote from: 1591rmb on June 28, 2005, 10:27:41 PM
New to the forum. I've been reading and enjoying your posts for a couple of weeks and would like to join the discussion. Hope you're intested in a new topic. Here it is:

We'd all like to own that dream spruce and brazillian 12 fret, but how many would be willing to break it out at a regular playing job.

So what's ideal workingman's acoustic. For me is has to be versatile, tough, sound great plugged in, electronically simply, have great intonation and action, forgiving about less than perfect care, decent looking, but not the kind of instrument that makes you cry when you get a ding or two.

From what I read on this forum, the current 03 series with a good pick-up fills the bill. So what's your ideal workhouse?

I've never hesitated to travel or play a regular gig with any of my guitars. They're meant to be played and I think I play my best on the guitars I like best.  That said, if I could get -03's in my choice of woods and neck sizes, I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the stable. For the very rare times when only a dred will do, my D-02 is a working tool that doesn't make me feel like I'm playing a second choice.
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

L03 fits the bill pretty good, especially if you can get a used one in good condition.  Nevertheless, I'd still cry if I get a ding in it.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Hi RMB,

You definitely can't go wrong with any of the 03 series.  It's just a matter of finding the bodystyle that fits your style of play. I have owned a D-03R and currently own an L-03E. I like the stock Bband system in the L, but if you hate the idea of a barndoor in the side of the guitar or have a specific brand of p/u you like--go with a guitar without electronics.

Some people find the L body to be more comfortable than a dread. From my experience, I don't sacrifice any volume with L vs. the D. As a bonus, the 03s seem to open up sooner that the 05s and 09s. Maybe because the satin finish is thinner??

With light strings either the D or L holds it own with any other acoustic out there. With mediums to really drive the top Larrivees are cannons... :SHK>

YMMV.

Mark

EDIT   I use the 03 at some of the rougher bars I play where there often isn't a real stage. The D-09 goes to the "nicer" gigs...
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

D-03/D-03R with K&K mini through LR Baggs PADI for me.

Also, I've never owned any Takamine guitars with on board pickup/preamp, but I see so many people using them, I'm guessing they must be great for gigging while plugged-in.

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

D05E. Everything I need for gigging or just funning around. 

Everything I have is expected to do "road time".

If I were going on extended trips, and playing a lot of different gigs, it would be a 3 series.
Ron

imo, a d03 is the ultimate all-around guitar. its basic, but sounds/plays great. you can ding it and it will only add more character. i remember when everyone played a dread. back in those times a dread was all anyone needed to make great music in any style.

I agree with some of what's already been said, that guitars are meant to be played not displayed.

I don't have the most expensive guitars but for me they were expensive. I take at least a 6 & my 12 to every show without hesitation.
For me it doesn't make much sense to have a nice guitar yet settle for something less when I'm doing a show.
To me, that's when it's most important to sound my best (besides the studio).

My grandpa always said "a ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are for" I like tto use that same philosophy with my instruments.

A guitar so nice that I'm afraid to take it on the road has no place in my small stable.

I like that quote from your grandfather.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: uncleshish on June 29, 2005, 09:49:23 AM
For me it doesn't make much sense to have a nice guitar yet settle for something less when I'm doing a show.
To me, that's when it's most important to sound my best (besides the studio).
absolutely! i have never and will never understand guys who buy great guitars, then buy something sub-standard to take to a show so the "good one" wont get hurt. good lord man, thats why you shell out the bucks for a good one....to play it!
(head spinning furiously) :UND>

An OM-03R.  The OM is really the most versatile IMO, the top is Sitka which is the most ding resistant spruce usually, and rosewood tends to crack a lot less than mahogany.

Quote from: 1591rmb on June 28, 2005, 10:27:41 PM
Ideal working man's acoustic ... versatile, tough, sound great plugged in, electronically simply, have great intonation and action, forgiving about less than perfect care, decent looking, but not the kind of instrument that makes you cry when you get a ding or two.

That's my D-05 your talkin' 'bout!  (with aftermarket B-band UST/AST/A4).  The first ding made me cry, but several deep breaths and some counceling and I got over it  ^_^ .  My OM-05MT with K&K mini is a close second.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I'd have to say that a C-09maple with undersaddle pickup has become my grab it and go guitar when I'm going to be playing a noisy place that requires a plugin. I have better sounding guitars, but will only play them where I can mic them. I'm also hesitant to take a better guitar to a venue where there is a possibility the guitar won't be directly under my control 100% of the time. Like the time 2 weeks ago when the person running the open mic went to the stage after I placed my guitar as far back as possible, and then I sat down at a front table to wait to be be introduced; the young lady did some wild girations with the microphone, backed up, and proceeded to kick over my guitar...
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Hoser Rob on June 29, 2005, 10:27:35 AM
An OM-03R.  The OM is really the most versatile IMO, the top is Sitka which is the most ding resistant spruce usually, and rosewood tends to crack a lot less than mahogany.
I'd say that this particular model, which I own, is mostly suitable for... bedroom whinning, that is, songwriting  :<>
If I played places though, I'd probably pick a D-05(E), or maybe an L-05(E).
Mike
OM-03R

The situation Randy R described is exactly why I have both an 03 and an 09 guitar. I'm also a little more willing to let someone else borrow the 03 at a jam or open mic... I don't want to see either guitar hurt though!! :UND>

Mark
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2

Quote from: mazareth on June 29, 2005, 05:32:12 PM
The situation Randy R described is exactly why I have both an 03 and an 09 guitar. I'm also a little more willing to let someone else borrow the 03 at a jam or open mic... I don't want to see either guitar hurt though!! :UND>

Mark

Wide necked guitars and Camel unfiltered cigs have something in common; nobody asks to borrow either.
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

I take whatever the gig call for,there all tool's.I don'thave any problem with people playing my stuff I just tell them it's setup with 14 to 58's and they move away qwikly....... :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Well guys, I thought that after buying my SD-50 I wouldn't be taking it out of the house.  I figured I'd take the old Ovation out to the campfires and gigs.  But...the reality is that I just don't want to play anything else.  My old Ovation now feels like a kids guitar!  I know my SD-50 is going to take some licks, but for me, it's all about the sound.  I know that even if this thing has some dents and scratches it's going to sound great!  In fact, I'll be relieved when it does get its first dents so that I can chill about the whole issue.  I mean, look at Neil Young - do you think he gives a  s*%t about what his guitar looks like?  Did I spell s*%t right?  Or is it s@#t?

I think it's spelled s#%t!  ^_^
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2