Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jumbo compared to the D  (Read 655 times)
Mike Schaefer

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2005, 02:02:56 AM »

Hi Guys,

I am a new member and this is my first post.  I have just about gone blind reading old threads trying to find some comments comparing the Larrivee Jumbo to the ever popular Dreadnaught.  I have a DO3R, which is a wonderful guitar, but after 20 years of Dreadnaughting my eye has been drawn to different designs.  I gave my old Martin HD 28 to my son and and went looking for new guitars.  Honestly, a year ago I had never heard of a Taylor, Goodall or Santa Cruz and didn't know that Larrivee also made steel stringed instruments.  I wound up with an OM 10 (sort of) but that is back at the factory for repair.  I simply could not get over the sound that little guitar put out...but I did test it in a small climate controlled room.   I next bought the DO3R as a way of dealing with no amplification in larger settings.  ( I mostly play as a liturgical musician in the Catholic Church and some times there simply has not been a ready, adequate sound system.)    But I must confess, I love the look of the Jumbo.  So can anyone compare the two for me?  I am also curious as to how a mahogany jumbo delivers bass...any thoughts on LJ vs J ?    I was also considering a Lowden but was not sure how they respond to strumming.  I end up doing a lot of fingerpicking and strumming, with little flat picking in between.

Thanks,  Mike from the land of Dairy Cows

Guild D-55
Larrivee LS-05....amazing!
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 05:28:41 AM »

Mike,

I have an LJ05 and a couple of rosewood dreads. The LJ has deep sound that I've called bone jarring. Probably more of a deep echo than a dread.

I don't find the jumbo difficult to play.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 05:41:57 AM »

My JV-05E has a thundering bass tone to it.  It sounded like it was an octave lower the first time I tried one at a local shop with lotso Larry's. 

Although I mainly fingerpick, tonight I was banging away on it with a flatpick doing some basic E-A-B7 blues things with lots of runs (sorry but I have too much non Ralph Stanley bluegrass in me...) and various inversions of chords.  The JV just boomed. 

Sweet up the neck and a bully down low.  Its pretty versatile.

[attachment no longer available]

Play it daily for best results.
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 01:40:34 PM »

I say go for the jumbo.  Both www.notableguitars.com and www.guitaradoptions.com has J-05s in their inventory, and I bet you could get either one for a very nice price.  Never played either one, but they sure look tempting.  I would say the jumbos would have more volume and bass overall than a dread.  I have three jumbos, and a D-50, all great instruments, but if you got the jumbo itch, I don't think you will be unhappy.  Some folks have problems because of their size, so take that into account. 

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 02:47:57 PM »

Since I just bought a J-09 flamed maple, I may be selling my J-05E (see "Guitar of the Month"  :GRN>) as well.  I should know by the middle of the week whether I'm going to be selling it or not.

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
Mike Schaefer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »

Thanks, I really appreciate this input.  I am gaining respect for Mahogany as a tone wood as you speak.  I am leaning toward the J-05 as something complimentary to what I have.  This morning I was playing the D03r for Mass and marveling at the Larrivee sound that allows a single note bass run to ring and fill the church...well, the microphone helped too, I suppose.    I am not that great of a guitar player, but I do know that making music, good music, with some of the talented muscians I have had the priviledge to play with (including my wife and daughter) have been some of those most fulfilling moments of my life.    I bet most of you know what I am talking about.  I value your advice...and am open to any more comments.

Guild D-55
Mike Schaefer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 05:39:03 PM »

Prof_Stack

That is a beautiful guitar.  There is something about wood that just gets me.

Mike

Guild D-55
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: