Will Larrivee do a fret dress on 3rd owner's guitar?

Started by djsonovox, June 24, 2005, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My LC-09 is definitely needs the sides of the frets bevelled. They are sharp when barring, and so far humidity has not swelled the neck back to spanning the fret metal. I heard Larrivee will take the guitar and dress these down, as covered in warranty--but will they do this for non-original owner?
Doug J
Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke

My guess would be no. If they did, it would be out of the goodness of their hearts as a second or third owner has no warranty rights.

There are a lot of good luthiers/repairpersons in the bay area and what you are talking about is a simple and inexpensive fix. Even if Larrivee did it, you would have to send your guitar to them and freight would be nearly as much as you could have someone do it for you.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

My second-hand JV-05E had frets that needed to be filed a bit.  I too had trouble smoothly moving up and back on the fretboard.  (Still do, but it has nothing to do with frets...     ^_^)

My local guitar shop owner showed me what needed to be done, demonstrated on a few frets (after putting blue tape on the top) and let me do the rest right there in the shop.  Can't get much better than that!

Point is, it is an easy fix and should not cost you much.
Play it daily for best results.

unclrob will lend you his beltsander if you ask nicely...   :WNK>
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

a fret dressing is no big deal check around town for the best tech.In Tally the prices for a fret and polish are $60 by me up to $125 by some others.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

unclrob,

Are your prices half as much because you have double clutched your beltsander and you can get the job done twice as fast?

Unless it is extreemely bad, and you may think that there is a structural issue, I don't think that this would warrant sending it back to the factory. For the cost of shipping alone you can have the job done locally.
Ron

Ron my prices are based on the fact that when I fisrt started it took me 2 hr's to do the job after over 30 years doing this stuff it takes me far less time so way raise my price.I also like repeat customer's and there referrals.The good thing is that the guy who charges $125 is now doing much less work and I'm doing less rework of his work.Sorry that types out like I'm some egomaniac,I'm not.This is a college town and I know that the working musicians don't make a lot of money so since I'm not looking to get rich,I think I'm fair.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on June 24, 2005, 07:40:17 PM
Ron my prices are based on the fact that when I fisrt started it took me 2 hr's to do the job after over 30 years doing this stuff it takes me far less time so way raise my price.I also like repeat customer's and there referrals.The good thing is that the guy who charges $125 is now doing much less work and I'm doing less rework of his work.Sorry that types out like I'm some egomaniac,I'm not.This is a college town and I know that the working musicians don't make a lot of money so since I'm not looking to get rich,I think I'm fair.

Move to Seattle. The Microsofties are guitar geeks of the first order and pay well for good work.  I know one guy who keeps a $10,000 Smallman classical by his desk at work. I fear that seeing what he keeps at home would make me sick with jealousy.
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

dream I have a customer from Seattle who is having his friends sending me there stuff to work on.Dang I'm nationwide.......AAAAHHHHHhahahahahhahahah :wacko:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: dreamsinger on June 24, 2005, 07:52:00 PM
I know one guy who keeps a $10,000 Smallman classical by his desk at work. I fear that seeing what he keeps at home would make me sick with jealousy.

I'm already sick with jealousy that he gets to keep a guitar at work.

On the other hand, if I could do that, I wouldn't get any work done.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: unclrob on June 24, 2005, 08:20:59 PM
dream I have a customer from Seattle who is having his friends sending me there stuff to work on.Dang I'm nationwide.......AAAAHHHHHhahahahahhahahah :wacko:

Yeah, my tech is so backed up that it would be faster to send it out of town but having a repair of any magnitude done in a climate different from where the guitar lives never made much sense to me.
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

ive got an old LV-04R at work...its a great beater, since its already beaten. haha

Quote from: unclrob on June 24, 2005, 08:20:59 PM

You're not just Nationwide, but you're also Bad!  (Insert ZZ Top riff here) :mellow:
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

my thoughts on that are that im sure they would do a redress but would charge you...therefore its probably better to get somebody local to do it.

UPDATE:
I have had the guitar a bit more than a month, and the local SF bay humidity is expanding the neck--so repair is not needed. I assume the previous owner kept his house overheated over the winter and caused the shrinkage from lack of moisture.
Lo and behold,  I got an unexpected email from Larrivee offering a free fret job, if I call up Vancouver first and arrange it.
What a great attitude! If it ever needs anything major, I will send it off to let these guys do it, just for offering to do this for free. Have you ever heard of anyone else covering warranty work for non-original owner?

I am the biggest booster for Larrivee around here. Surprisingly, the word is not out about how great these guitars are, and how well the company treats you as a customer.

By the way, I left the LC-09 with a lady last night who is looking to get into steel string guitars, and finds dreadnaught body guitars just too bulky for her small frame. So she played the LC-09 and loved the style and its gorgeous looks. But now, I relaized I don't want to sell!

I am still offering my DM Martin ($475, mint w/OHSC), and can bear to part with that one--barely. It is also a great guitar, but I just got a Tacoma DM14C with a gloss finish that will take the road use a bit better.

Doug Jones
Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele