Ovation

Started by sc morris, March 12, 2004, 07:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anybody here play Ovations too?  I know this place is most likely populated by acoustic purists...I am a purist to a certain extent.  My only hang up is the "barn door" in the side of a good, all wood guitar....no can do for me.  But with an Ovation, I'm cool with it, since it's not like a traditional acoustic anyway.  I have an Ovation CS257 that I really love.  It's got the thin body, red-burst finish, and action like a good Strat.  When I got sick of reaching around my Dreads....it's sort of fun to take it out and play it.  Especially plugged in...WOW, Ovation has such a good electronics package.  I only wish mine had the built in tuner....they started offerering that a few years after a bought mine.  Just curious if any of you are Ovation fans... :blink:  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

I tried to play ovation once there great plugged in my problem is I'm round in front and there round in back,makes for a problem if you get my drift.They do have the best electronic's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

SC, I aspire to one day own one of the first generation Ovation Adamas guitars. The ones from the 70's with the sparkle tops. Those are great playing, sounding, and looking. Everytime I see one, I hear a medley of Majic Man, Crazy on You, and Barracuda in my head. Ann's vocals and Nancy awesome strumming are a match made in heaven.  That was also one of Bob Marleys favorite axes.    They go for $2 -$3K now.  

QuoteSC, I aspire to one day own one of the first generation Ovation Adamas guitars. The ones from the 70's with the sparkle tops. Those are great playing, sounding, and looking. Everytime I see one, I hear a medley of Majic Man, Crazy on You, and Barracuda in my head. Ann's vocals and Nancy awesome strumming are a match made in heaven.  That was also one of Bob Marleys favorite axes.    They go for $2 -$3K now.
I also like the old school Adamas models.  I've got my eye on a Ovation 12 string for my next possible guitar.  I don't have any "definate" plans for a next guitar, but I do like the O 12's.  

Nancy can tear up an Ovation, huh???   :D  
 Groucho Marx

SC,
I have an Ovation Elite I've had for 14 years.  The only guitar I ever named.  "Old Reliable" is always in tune, and always ready to go.  It's deep bowl, though, so even after 14 years, it still slips off the lap once in a while!  

Played my first live performance with Old Reliable about 10 years ago at a company picnic.  My only requirement was an armless chair.  I get there and what do they have?  A tall stool with no rungs for feet!   What a nightmare!  I can still feel my leg shaking and my arm cramping from trying to keep that thing on my lap while struggling through Kottke's "The Fisherman."  Then  to top it off a buddy walks by and says "Hey Dave! I didn't know you play guitar.." and trys to strike up a conversation!  My response through gritted teeth:  "Can't..... talk.... now......"

Ah, the good ol' days.

I still grab Old Reliable for camp-outs and 105 degree summer outdoor gigs...

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Great story....and I totally relate... ;)  
 Groucho Marx

:lol: too round.. keeps slippin haha
Current Toys:
Fender Lite Ash Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncans

FOR SALE
2004 Martin D35 w/ Highlander Pickup
2003 Taylor 414CE-L3

Previously Owned:
1998 Larrivee C-03RE Rosewood Recording Series w/ Fishman

I always have had a love/hate thing with Ovations.  I have owned several and they always played fine, were reliable, felt good, stayed in tune and amped pretty nicely.  I always end up selling them to get something else, though.  I have had Balladeers, Elites and a couple of others.  I will probably get another at some point.  Then I will sell it, too, no doubt! :(

LJ

Ergonomically impossible to play...my Budweiser tumor says so.
D-02E

I've owned an Ovation Celebrity and two Applauses. My problem with the them is lack of bass. I traded mine in for a Taylor 110(a moment of insanity, I had not been able to play a Larrivee) My Applause(s) were either given to a patient at work or traded in for money for Jimmy Buffett concert tix. Currently i would love to get ahold of a cheap Applause. They are the ultimate beaters i took them to the beach, left them in the car, banged them up, used them as canoe paddles, tennis rackets, and they still sounded pretty darn good(Ipaid $99 for each one)> I think Ovations are great guitars when plugged in as well as unplugged if u dont mind the brightness.
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

My first experience playing in front of a live audience was in 1978 using an Ovation Balladeer.  It was nice, but I could never get used to the rounded back....made it quite awkward for me.

I've had an Applause AA24-1 since 1978 - it was my first guitar.  After travelling to many countries, with it in and out of shippers and boxes and who knows what, it's in great shape (few cracks in the veneer).  I still pick it up almost every day.  It rarely detunes, even when the weather changes.  If it goes "out" it does so uniformly across all strings.  I couldn't imagine ever getting rid of it, 'cause most of my friends still love the sound and I couldn't stand losing it.    :o It sounds great with a Markey tossed into it every once in a while.  My condolences to those whose ergonomic structure doesn't allow them to "get close" to one of the great guitar engineering ideas in recent history.

yetitrotter

QuoteI've had an Applause AA24-1 since 1978 - it was my first guitar.  After travelling to many countries, with it in and out of shippers and boxes and who knows what, it's in great shape (few cracks in the veneer).  I still pick it up almost every day.  It rarely detunes, even when the weather changes.  If it goes "out" it does so uniformly across all strings.  I couldn't imagine ever getting rid of it, 'cause most of my friends still love the sound and I couldn't stand losing it.    :o It sounds great with a Markey tossed into it every once in a while.  My condolences to those whose ergonomic structure doesn't allow them to "get close" to one of the great guitar engineering ideas in recent history.

yetitrotter
Welcome to the forum yetitrotter, you've found a great place!

Although I've never owned one, it sounds like the Ovations are the ultimate beater.  I do like the sound Trevor Rabin of YES used to get out of them live.

Who knows, if I ever buy a canoe I may buy one. :lol:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

QuoteWho knows, if I ever buy a canoe I may buy one.

or maybe you can use the guitar as canoe ;) it might work with the rounded back, or do they use real wood to build a canoe?

No, really I like em amplified but just natural I'm less convinced
larrivee LV-05E

My guess is that all the Ovation defenders hang out over at the Ovation forum (if there is one).

E. Shoaf

not a question of defending Ovations, just stating the facts.  Anyhow, if you've ever seen Al DiMeola up close as I have, you'd know some of my point.  By the way, I've played a Larrivee, and I was also very impressed.  Would be nice to get my hands on the giveaway....

yetitrotter

Ovation Applause AA24
Martin LXM
Ibanez AF-75
Carlo Robelli Narrow Body Acoustic/Electric (a freebie)

I had one once. Don't remember the name of the model but it was one of their more deluxe models. Brown-stained top, herringbone trim, red white and blue pearl soundhole inlay. It was a nice guitar but the best thing about it was it was a great tradein on my Mossman 12.

There was a vibration in it I could never get rid of. Sure played easily tho'.

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I used to own a Celebrity Deluxe about 10 yrs ago. My wife loved the sound of it. Then one day I came home with a Taylor810, she was disappointed I would get rid of the ovation as it looked "very pretty." So I played the Taylor and she told me...."Ok, get rid of the ovation you can have the Taylor." Now she is saying the same thing about my Taylors when she hears my 4 Larrivee's. Back to Ovations...

I use an old Applause when I go camping or to lead worship for retreats. It's very durable and it takes a beating so ditto to what laughingskunk said.

And since I can't afford Matthew and Jean to make me a custom doubleneck, I plan to purchase an Ovation CS-255 Doubleneck sometime later this year.

David