Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Combining a Baggs Element preamp with K & K for D-03R  (Read 1331 times)
djsonovox

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2005, 09:46:30 PM »

Today. First I clipped off the undersaddle piezo. Good as it sounded on my Taylor 214, K & K piezo discs sound better! I have a  triple-head Pure Western to install.
This gives the advantage of the soundhole volume control, too.
Once I have it done I will upload some sound sapmles for you to hear, comparing the mic sound with the onboard sound.

Doug Jones

UPDATE: Success. It sounds incredible--better than the B-Band unsdersaddle that is in my L-03.
K & K is the best and most affordable of pickup systems. I clipped the undersaddle for the Baggs Element active and soldered the Pure Western Mini to it, and it worked like a charm. The string balance is exemplary, and it captures the wood resonance of the D-03R perfectly.

UPDATE 2:
I have gigged twice with it, now. I had aset of EJ12 strings from D'Addario, but they were a bit heavy for a 4-hour gig last Sunday. I am going down to Curt Mangan lite mediums. The bass from the Baggs preamp is too much. You have to roll it nealry completly down to stop a feedback from the soundbox of the guitar. I may end up swapping this into a Tacoma which is very bright.
DJ afro

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 11:12:31 AM »

Take your time and practice before you glue. Mine went easy. Love the sound.
djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:19:28 PM »

It is tricky to find the proper positioning on a Larrivee since the bracing is so close to the prime areas.
K & K Pure's are still easier to do than an undersaddle, because there is always a string volume balance problem and the job of sanding down the bone to allow lowest action.

The balance on this is ideal.
The sound from the UltraSound amp is pretty darn real. It is a bit bass-heavy, so it gets rolled off. It now has a very accurate reflection of the real sound of this Larrivee dreadnaught.

Also, those of you who like to solder preamps from scratch should check out the FET Disrete circuit online at:
http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/
It is fantastic. I built it, and it cost like $5 in parts! Works great, has lots of guts and clarity. I freehanded it soldering part to part, but will secure it to a mini-breadboard and install it in my coming Tacoma DM14C, with a K & K Twin Spot. The only other parts you need with this circuit are an endpin jack and 9 volt battery holder and clip.

DJ

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele