Favorite (and not so favorite) concerts

Started by wyodeb, June 10, 2005, 10:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

This got started in the "Thumbpick Recommendations" thread, so I thought I might try to give it a life of its own. Which concerts have you enjoyed the most. When, where, who, why? Who were you disappointed in? Why?

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

I used to work for a chain of CD stores here in Canada.  I've been to dozens and dozens of concerts.  The best show I ever saw was John Mellencamp.  I've seen him 3 times but the best show was at the Forum in Montreal for the Lonesome Jubilee tour.  No opening act, two 1.5 hour sets, a kick -CENSORED- band and 22000 people dancing.  Our seat were on the floor, just in front of the sound guys.  What a show.  I don't anyone sat down throughout the entire thing. 

I've seen lots of other good shows like U2, Peter Gabriel, Roy Harper (in a small club, that was great), the Chieftains, Buddy Guy...etc. but Mellencamp really puts on, at the time he did at least, an awesome show.

Some favourites and most memorable (although I'm forgetting some good ones) :

The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (TV but it's Gotta Count!)
The Who/Blues Magoos/Herman's Hermits - Fort William Gardens 1966
Jefferson Airplane - McMaster U. Hamilton - 1968
Blind Faith/Taste/Delaney&Bonnie - Toronto Varsity Stadium 1969
Gordon Lightfoot - Lakehead U. (Thunder Bay) 1970
Grateful Dead/Commander Cody - Vancouver 1974
Steve Goodman- Toronto - Riverboat 1974
John Prine - Toronto - Massey Hall - 1974
Bob Dylan and the Band - Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens 1974
Jesse Winchester - The Yellow Door -  Montreal 1976
Jerry Jeff Walker - Minneapolis 1976
Elvis Costello & the Attractions -Thunder Bay Coliseum - 1977
Bob Dylan - Thunder Bay - Fort William Gardens 1994
Richard Thompson/Crowded House - Thunder Bay Community Auditorium  1997
The Rolling Stones - Winnipeg Stadium - Bridges to Babylon Tour
Bob Dylan/Paul Simon/BoDeans - Duluth Marina Park 1999
Steve Earle - Thunder Bay Community Auditorium - 2000
John Prine - TBCA - 2002
REM - Fort Wiliam Gardens 2004

The Worst:
The Black Crowes - Thunder Bay 1994

Electric best Mountain/Jethro Tull 1970 Pirates World
Acoustic Best CSN at Sunrise Musical Theartre 1995
Art Rock Best Renissance Carnigy Hall
I don't really remember the bad ones due to a mental block.......
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Best:
Boston – 1978
Moody Blues – Red Rocks, 1980
John Denver – Red Rocks, 1979 (or so)
Peter, Paul & Mary – Red Rocks, 1983
Styx – Wichita, 1980 something
Rush – Wichita, 1980 something
Arlo Guthrie at the National Craft fair, fall of 1986. Very informal. FUN!
Pete Seeger & Arlo Guthrie – Minneapolis 87 or 88 – folkie heaven!
Statler Brothers at the Minnesota State Fair 1989 – those guys are a hoot! Had to modify the line "When the Lights come on at Wrigley Field" since they got lights that year :GRN>

More later, I need to go.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Two of my favorite concerts (within recent memory):

Richard Thompson: 1000 Years of Popular Music Tour, Fall 2004 at Outpost in the Burbs, Montclair, NJ.

Where else can you hear a thirteenth century English round, Gilbert & Sullivan, Stephen Foster, Ray Charles, Hank Williams, The Beatles, The Who, Squeeze, Prince, Bowling for Soup and  Britney Spears performed with only a guitar, three vocals and a drummer? Truly audacious, fun, and amazingly listenable. Just when you don't think Thompson can get any better, he pulls this off.

Thompson's guitar work never ceases to amaze me; not only for the technical aspects but also for the ideation and originality of his playing.

An added plus: the show was in a church, and we were sitting in the side choir above the stage in front of the altar. Therefore, we were right above the performers.

Jeffrey Foucault: Spring 2004 at Cabin Concerts, Wayne, NJ

This was a rather intimate setting: a house concert in a living room that could squeeze maybe twenty five people. We were front row center which meant we had to shift our knees to give Jeffrey sufficient leg room to play. A great show, Jeffrey always performs a varied mix of covers (this time his Blind Willie McTell was particularly good) with his own fantastic material. The fact that it was unamplified allowed me to appreciate the excellent dynamics in his playing accompaniment.

As well as being an excellent songwriter and lyricist, Jeff has one of the more soulful singing voices around. Having all this literally "in your face" was a memorable experience.

I'l try to think up some disappointments.

Paolo
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 10, 2005, 10:26:02 AM
Some favourites and most memorable (although I'm forgetting some good ones) :

The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (TV but it's Gotta Count!)

Elvis - Ed Sullivan Show....blacked out from the waste down because he wiggled his hips.
Now I am really dating myself. :UND>

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

The one I have enjoyed most in the last ten years has been the Bodeans. They just rock live, and since they have just started touring again, if they come by you, you should check them out. Paul Kelly seems to be up there also in my mind. He tends to play at very small venues, so you can interact with him. Puts on a great show also.

Also, the Beach Boys in '78, as it was the first concert I saw, so being a new experience at the time, it has really nice memories.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Oh yeah. I remember the Elvis show too but it didn't affect me as much, I was only about six. My brothers were jumping though.
Oh The BoDeans opened for Paul Simon and Dylan in Duluth. They were great and could have headlined most shows.
Damian - Cool, I've got one of Jeffrey Foucault's CDs on order. I'm looking forward to it. 

A few of my favs:
* Ben Harper
* John Lee Hooker
* David Gray
* Greg Brown
* Beastie Boys
* Beck
* Rage Against the Machine
* Tommy Emmanuel

- josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

1) 1990 Dire Straits, Hamilton Ontario "On Every Street Tour" (with Paul Franklin on pedal steel!) The quietest rock concert I have ever attended. 25,000 people sitting there in slack-jawed amazement. Awesome in the truest sense of the word.

2) 1994 Pink Floyd, CNE Toronto Ontario "Division Bell Tour" A new power grid had to be installed to accomodate the power requirements. A $4 million dollar stage and an entire football stadium ringed with speakers. I was 60 feet from centre stage! Wow!

I must be getting old. I don't go to big spectacular events anymore.
Ron

Don't get to many concerts anymore, but the current AKUS tour is one great acoustic show.  I caught it in Mobile, AL, a few months ago (took two of my daughters along with me).  Just great music by great musicians.  I can't say enough good things about it.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Some of the really outstanding concerts which I have attended:

Most recently --

Tommy Emmanuel
Doyle Dykes
Keola Beamer
Nylons

Distant Past --

Gordon Lightfoot
Anne Murray/Gatlin Brothers
Huey Lewis and the News
Spinners/Four Tops/Grassroots/Turtles/Paul Revere (A Blast From The Past)
Beach Boys
Billy Dean
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Going Way Back:
Simon & Garfunkle/Lovin Spoonful
Simon & Garfunkle alone
First Edition
Dave Clark 5
New Christy Minstrels (early 1964 version)

I'm sure that I have forgotten some.

A couple that I walked out of:

Kenny Rogers (Drunk as a Skunk and sounded like it)
Restless Heart (Their sound man should have been drawn and quartered, hanging would be too humane)

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Eric Johnson, Rush (5x's), Stevie Ray Vaughn (4x's), Albert King, Pink Floyd (2x's), Steve Howe & Steve Hackett (GTR), King Crimson, 1 or 2 Yes shows.  That's all that comes to mind now.
More than I deserve.

Richard Thompson  Irish Centre Leeds England  2000 
Richard thompson   The Packhorse Folkclub Leeds  [he turned up with his 50s strat his 00018 Martin and an old vintage Fender amp to play un ananounced to 50 people.
Martin Simpson  a small folkclub in Yorkshire in th late 80s
Jethro Tull   Manchester Apollo England  around Thick as a Brick
Paul Brady   Leeds  late 80s
Loudon Wainwright  Irish Centre Leeds    a couple of weeks ago
SRV Strat
Larrivee LV05
Wife
Kids
Many guitars gone to new homes

Quote from: leesguitar on June 11, 2005, 10:02:33 AM

Loudon Wainwright  Irish Centre Leeds    a couple of weeks ago

You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road, and it's stinkin' to hi-igh heaven!

Great guy!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Mary Chapin Carpenter "A Place in The World " Tour 1998 at Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor.  Elvis Costello  and Steve Nieve  acoustic tour. Nanci Griffith anytime she comes around. Dan Fogelberg solo tour 1998 at Meadowbrook. Doobie Brothers 2004 tour(front row seat) Counting Crows/Live summer 2000 tour.  Then some more obscure ones Ceili Rain at the Ark in Ann Arbor, Hot House Flowers at Club Eastbrook(back around 1988) as well as the Hooters -same period. Lastly the Sweet Harmony Traveling revue tour 0f 2004.
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

How about concerts you didn't get to, and still yourself in the butt about? I had the chance to see U2 when they first toured in  the US (83?) and they played in a small club by where I was living at the time. My friends still give me grief about talking them out of going.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

I prefer to forget the bummer shows.

Here are some of my favs:

Neil Young 10/83--Dane county colliseum - Shocking Pinks tour (which I liked! :rolleyes:), about 1/2 the show was acoustic.
Violent Femmes: 9/83 & 3/84 - One show just before and one just after the release of "Hallowed Ground," their 2nd LP,
Grateful Dead--5 mid 80s shows.

Emmy Lou Harris and the Nash Ramblers '92 in Vienna -- One of the tightest acoustic bands I've ever seen! Tour in support of the "Live at the Ryman" album. 2nd set opened w/an a cappella gospel tune in 5 part harmony

Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptions/solo -- "88 w/band on the "Globe of Frogs" tour. Peter Buck from REM played about 1/2 the show. Summer '90-- solo acoustic in a small Milwaukee club. Lots of interaction w/the audience. I got to talk w/him after show.

Los Lobos--'95 - tight band, great show.

Richard Thompson-- solo acoustic '99 -- free show put on by the Old Town of Folk Music in Chicago during the "Mock Tudor" tour. Amazing amount of sound out of one guitar! :SHK>

Mark
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

Quote from: wyodeb on June 10, 2005, 10:00:58 AM
... Which concerts have you enjoyed the most. When, where, who, why? ...

Without a doubt, my favorite was in October 1997.  John Denver, alone on stage with just his guitars.  Two-and-a-half hours.  That man could really play!  And then one week later he was dead.  What a shame.

Here is a picture taken in September 1997, in Houston.  Just two weeks before the fatal accident.

Jim McCrain

Larrivee J-10-Koa "The Goddess"
Larrivee J-10-FM (Custom "Larrivee and Vine" Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee J-10 (w/Celtic Knot Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee Parlour - Mahogany

See "The Goddess" at www.mccrain.net/koa.